What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FOUND OUT THE LANDLORDS NOT MAKING THE HOUSE PAYMENT.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
So my Landlord calls me one day last week, and wants to have a sit down. I figured since the lease is up for renewal that he may want to raise the rent or something. So he tells me that he hasn't made a mortgage payment on the house I live in for the past 3 months and is going to let the house go to foreclosure and he is declaring bankruptcy.
On the first I want to give him the rent, and tell him we were moving as soon as I find another house. He acted surprised, he said It's not going to happen for a year, and I said that when last we talked he hadn't made a payment and told me it would take 4-6 months. So I said this is the 4th month, I'm not waiting for the hammer to drop.
He actually thought I was going to just hang around and wait for the bank to kick me out!. He said I can't rent it out now and the house will sit empty, I said well your not making payments, so what difference does it make. Thats when it dawned on me he wants me to stay just to put the rent in his pocket for the next 6 months or so and then move. Well B.S. to that carp he and the bank can fight over the house I won't be there.
So I shut down my box and will wait till I move to set back up. What an asshole, I have never been a day late with the rent, the least he could have done was give me more of a heads up. But I would have just moved sooner, the only real hang up is I have a Great Dane and a Standard Poodle,both with excellent refs. but they are big dogs, even tho the dane sleeps 16 hrs a day.
Just had to vent I really hate landlords most of them are greedy assholes that act like they are doing you a favor by renting their crummy house to you, while not thinking that I am paying their mortgage for them ingrates.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
ive had this happen to three grow houses.

Last one i got out of 9 months before but my ex partner kept it up after he was suppose to shut it down. Long story short landlord stopped paying payments never told him and the bank came in one day to find a huge grow in the basement... lets say feds were called and i havnt seen this guy in many many years....

it also happened on the house before that one and we had to literally screw the doors shut till we finished the grow... called the bank told them we still lived there and have a lease and are paying they gave us another 3 months till we had it all done but the bank was trying to get in before that...

fucked up situation be glad its just a small grow and not a federal send your ass to prison grow

Z

Ziggaro

Yeah at least your landlord told you..

My previous landlord never said dick, and I only found out when the sheriff was at our door with a summons (didn't answer and he left his card--plants upstairs so I wasn't taking any chances). I told him the landlord didn't live here and gave him the phone number I had.

I called my landlord and he said it was a mistake.. yeah right. We moved a few months later and withheld rent for the last couple since he had our security deposit and I didn't trust him to give it back.

Fuck renting..

L

longearedfriend

it's a dog eat dog world out there

best wishes pearlmae

Bunz

Not sure if this applies in all states, but word to the wise. If you find out your landlord is not paying the mortgage payment, you are still responsible for paying your rent. I know it's a fucked up situation but the landlord's agreement with the bank and your agreement with your landlord are two entirely different things. Landlord can take you to court for non-payment of rent and once an unlawful detainer is filed and awarded, your rental history is screwed. Last thing you want while you are trying to rent a new place is to have an eviction on your record. Follow the law and give your landlord a 30 day notice in writing and start the search for a new house. Advantages to you are there are lots of rentals available these days and most landlords are just looking to get someone in their property.

20+ years in Property Management, so I know a thing or two...............

Bunz :D

Snoopster

Veteran
As has been pointed out, you should count your lucky stars your landlord told you this. He is far from an asshole to let you know what is going on.

Most people going into bankruptcy and foreclosure wold not tell you what is going on so they can get paid in the mean time.

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't pay your rent and then two days later have a sheriff evict you.
That shit happens all the time.

I'm a landlord and most of the people that rent my shitty condo are stupid people. Smart people wouldn't live in that complex.

No one forces anyone to live in a shithole.

Bunz

Stay in the house and pay no rent.

And get evicted, have a unlawful detainer filed and awarded against you, then good luck finding a new place to rent, especially considering you have 2 large dogs. Great advice............:laughing:

This is one of those instances you need to listen to people that are in the industry. It will make life a whole lot easier for you in the long run.

I came up to shampoo your rug

I came up to shampoo your rug

ThreesCompany03.jpg

Last edited:

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Contact the bank.
You may be able to stay right where you are,pay less per month and own the house in the long run.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
My friend had a rent to own deal with a landlord and found out the same thing. They were out over 50K that they gave them towards the house. The landlord hadn't paid for the house in over a year. Could always be worse.

Not to be a dick, but they don't owe you shit. If you want a house, then buy your own. Until then they are doing you a favor by renting you the house, because you need it. You're making the smart move by getting out. I don't doubt that they were using your payment towards the mortgage (at some point), that's how it works.

Any reason why you don't own your own house? House prices have fallen so much, that if your credit isn't rocked by a foreclosure, you should be able to get one fairly cheap in most areas.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
So my Landlord calls me one day last week, and wants to have a sit down. I figured since the lease is up for renewal that he may want to raise the rent or something. So he tells me that he hasn't made a mortgage payment on the house I live in for the past 3 months and is going to let the house go to foreclosure and he is declaring bankruptcy.
On the first I want to give him the rent, and tell him we were moving as soon as I find another house. He acted surprised, he said It's not going to happen for a year, and I said that when last we talked he hadn't made a payment and told me it would take 4-6 months. So I said this is the 4th month, I'm not waiting for the hammer to drop.
He actually thought I was going to just hang around and wait for the bank to kick me out!. He said I can't rent it out now and the house will sit empty, I said well your not making payments, so what difference does it make. Thats when it dawned on me he wants me to stay just to put the rent in his pocket for the next 6 months or so and then move. Well B.S. to that carp he and the bank can fight over the house I won't be there.
So I shut down my box and will wait till I move to set back up. What an asshole, I have never been a day late with the rent, the least he could have done was give me more of a heads up. But I would have just moved sooner, the only real hang up is I have a Great Dane and a Standard Poodle,both with excellent refs. but they are big dogs, even tho the dane sleeps 16 hrs a day.
Just had to vent I really hate landlords most of them are greedy assholes that act like they are doing you a favor by renting their crummy house to you, while not thinking that I am paying their mortgage for them ingrates.

Well you're certainly well justified in not wanting to wait until the hammer drops. Perhaps though you could turn it to your advantage by making a counter offer to the landlord by saying that you'll agree to stay there and continue to pay rent but only under the condition that you only pay at the end of a month rather then at the beginning. That way you can avoid the scenario of paying for a full month and then being forced out before that month is up.

Also I don't know if it is possible but maybe you could also sit down with the bank and see if they would be willing to consider just letting you take over the mortgage since it really is you that was making the mortgage payments, at least up to the point the landlord stopped sending the bank the money.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Same thing happened to a friend.

1 - Told the landlord to go fuck himself, he doesn't own the house and is forclosing on it. He has nothing to do with anything anymore.

2 - wait for the bank. In my friends case he lived in the house for 2.5 years rent free before the bank sold the property, "sight unseen". That means the house was sold without anybody ever looking at it. No visits from the bank, no visits from potential buyers, nothing.

He turned out 2 years of outdoor crops while not paying any rent. Food for thought.

I don't agree with this practice, but hey, if those are the cards dealt.

Bunz

Sit down with the bank and owner and see if you can negotiate a short sale. Bank will have the property off it's foreclosure list, owner gets out from under it and you become a homeowner for a great price. Win, win situation for everybody.

i would tell heim you will live there for 1/4 of what you were paying rent, or move out. some money or no money....

edit: you can try talking to the banks, but they don't really care about it now, unless you are qualified to buy it

Same thing happened to a friend.

1 - Told the landlord to go fuck himself, he doesn't own the house and is forclosing on it. He has nothing to do with anything anymore.

2 - wait for the bank. In my friends case he lived in the house for 2.5 years rent free before the bank sold the property, "sight unseen". That means the house was sold without anybody ever looking at it. No visits from the bank, no visits from potential buyers, nothing.

He turned out 2 years of outdoor crops while not paying any rent. Food for thought.

I don't agree with this practice, but hey, if those are the cards dealt.

Id look into seeing if this is do-able, that would be a great outcome

Latest posts

Latest posts