What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

soil mix using bunnings products

D

DU420

Ok this soils been out back in a bin for about a week now and I just went to mix it and looks like its starting to grow little grey mold spores on top of the soil.... Any ideas on what's this is? Should I just scrape it off and move it to somewhere cooler?

taslicker

Ok this soils been out back in a bin for about a week now and I just went to mix it and looks like its starting to grow little grey mold spores on top of the soil.... Any ideas on what's this is? Should I just scrape it off and move it to somewhere cooler?

it could be anything including some mushroom spores if one of your mixes had mushroom compost in it.

if your composting your mix then a bit of fungus wont matter.

the pile should generate some heat and if you keep it aerated the composting process will fill the mix with good bacteria.
make sure the mix can breath while in the bin.

D

DU420

it could be anything including some mushroom spores if one of your mixes had mushroom compost in it.

if your composting your mix then a bit of fungus wont matter.

the pile should generate some heat and if you keep it aerated the composting process will fill the mix with good bacteria.
make sure the mix can breath while in the bin.

Thanks mate, turns out it came from the compost I opened a bag of it to make up another lot of soil and there it was white/grey mold. At first I was pissed then I read on a few sites ( this one included) that a bit of white mold in your compost is an indication of it being healthy so all is well I just let it air out for 20 min till most of the mold spores dried up and mixed that shit in. Suppose I should learn to look for answers before I post in a panic. Cheers

ozzieAI

Veteran
I know this is an old post but how did your soil mix go?

yep this is an old thread...

used to muck around getting all amendments to mix but it was PITA and getting quite expensive so i now use searles premium advanced potting mix from bunnings...works well enough in veg but for flowering i find it has bit too N for me so i transplant into my recycled mix amending with a blood/bone...

btw welcome to the fold...

Latest posts

Latest posts