What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

soil mix using bunnings products

D

DU420

Yep the mums could get going but you could try smaller post and weaker lights to hold them back a bit.

The potash will stay awhile provided you don't do any heavy flushing.
I use it as a general purpose soil mix for indoor and out.

I'm not a fan of expensive additives. I use this mix on my greenhouse tomatoes in pots. Works a treat with them. The potash improves the taste of the tomatoes.:)

Well the Mums are only in 500ml pots under 2 48w cfls so should be ok. Do you add any liquid ferts to that or just water?

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Well the Mums are only in 500ml pots under 2 48w cfls so should be ok. Do you add any liquid ferts to that or just water?

I use Seasol seaweed extract for my mums and that's about all. It encourages good root and vegetative growth. Potash or potassium (K) is good for flowering and forming fruit like tomatoes...and bud.

But don't over do it

I now tend to use big pots for my mums just to cut down on the numbers. I can prune them down big time and they don't mind because of the large root mass and recover quickly.

D

DU420

I use Seasol seaweed extract for my mums and that's about all. It encourages good root and vegetative growth. Potash or potassium (K) is good for flowering and forming fruit like tomatoes...and bud.

But don't over do it

I now tend to use big pots for my mums just to cut down on the numbers. I can prune them down big time and they don't mind because of the large root mass and recover quickly.

I might save that more complex mix for my outdoor mix since that's what I was after in the first place and just use some premium organic potting mix and some perlite for my mothers. Oh my mother cab is only 2.8sqft and 320mm high, so no big pots just my 500ml pots I only need 8 clones every 2 weeks. And I'm using Charlie carp organic atm.

taslicker

user_offline.gif
i only add liquid ferts if the plant shows some signs of nutrient deficiency.

If your growing outside the growth rate is usually slower and the nutrient uptake slower. so, the plant has time to convert and extract all the organic nutrients in the soil.
If your grow pot (or prepared hole) is large enough you shouldn't need anything but water.
The only thing you could add is worm wee or worm castings or Seasol ( i'm with you High Country:tiphat:) to act as soil activator or catalysts .
When you dig up your MJ plant at the end of the season you should see lots of garden worms.:biggrin:

D

DU420

Well just went to bunnings and they've changed suppliers so no more amgrow or debco organics, no more perlite, no more unammended coco bricks and no more manutec cheap nutes...... I had to settle for scotts osmocote plus organics potting and planting and some richgro organic compost with eziwet, anyone use these?
I also got some yates blood and bone with potash, some dynamic lifter and some additional potash just incase. I was going to get some trace elements but wasnt sure if I'd need them.

D

DU420

This is my soil mix but I need help with additives like dynamic lifter and blood and bone. I'm wary of following the instructions on packaging after doing so with gogo juice and rhizotonic and puting my seedlings in the infirmary.

25L scotts osmocote plus organics (6 months slow release ferts, composted manure, seaweed, blood and bone, fish, gypsum)
25L richgro organic compost w/ eziwet
12L perlite
1.5 cups dolomite lime
??? Blood and bone + potash
??? Dynamic lifter
??? Sulphite of potash(don't know if I need this now)

Is there anything I missed? Thanks again for helping out a noob in need.

taslicker

i'm assuming this soil is for an outdoor grow.

both the Blood n Bone and Dynamic Lifter are not "hot" fertilizers so its hard to overuse them. i would put in 3-4 cups of Dynamic Lifter and 2-3 cups of Blood n Bone with the 50 ltrs of mix. mixed in well.

i don't know the quantity of Potash in the Blood and Bone but i'm assuming its for normal growing needs so i would put in a little extra, maybe 2 tablespoons for the whole 50 litres.

back when you could burn your own green waste in the back yard my dad used to use ashes from his garden fire to get potash:)

dont forget to use Seasol for transplanting and every few week to keep the soil active. the Seasol is not a fertilizer but a soil activator that encourages the growth of soil bacteria and microbes that increase the uptake of nutrients from the soil.

D

DU420

i'm assuming this soil is for an outdoor grow.

both the Blood n Bone and Dynamic Lifter are not "hot" fertilizers so its hard to overuse them. i would put in 3-4 cups of Dynamic Lifter and 2-3 cups of Blood n Bone with the 50 ltrs of mix. mixed in well.

i don't know the quantity of Potash in the Blood and Bone but i'm assuming its for normal growing needs so i would put in a little extra, maybe 2 tablespoons for the whole 50 litres.

back when you could burn your own green waste in the back yard my dad used to use ashes from his garden fire to get potash:)

dont forget to use Seasol for transplanting and every few week to keep the soil active. the Seasol is not a fertilizer but a soil activator that encourages the growth of soil bacteria and microbes that increase the uptake of nutrients from the soil.

thanks tas your a champ, considering that the ferts in the osmocote are supposed to be organic it shouldn't make the mix hot should it? I've got gogo juice as a soil probiotic that contains seaweed and kelp meal and such. And I was gonna put this in a 60L bin out back in the sun to bake till oct/nov to let it all work together the dynamic lifter says you need to water it in though I dont need to wet this mix before leaving it to sit do i?

taslicker

And I was gonna put this in a 60L bin out back in the sun to bake till oct/nov to let it all work together the dynamic lifter says you need to water it in though I dont need to wet this mix before leaving it to sit do i?
wet no, but damp yes.
all composting needs to be damp but not soaking wet.
if you dont want to wet the whole mix because its already damp just spray the Dynamic lifter with an atomizer before you mix it in. the damp contact between it and the mix will allow the transfer and spread of the nutrients and bacteria.:tiphat:

mix and stir the bin once a week to get all the lovely oxygen through the mix.
in Oct it will be so good you can eat it:biggrin:

D

DU420

Ok thanks again tas I think Im all set just waiting on some perlite. I'll give it a few months then if its good enough to eat like you say I'll add some bananas and yoghurt and dig in :)

D

DU420

Ok with taslickers help I came up with this mix for an outdoor grow

25L scotts osmocote plus organics (6 months slow release ferts, composted manure, seaweed, blood and bone, fish, gypsum)
12L perlite
1.5 cups dolomite lime
3 cups Blood and bone + potash
4 cups Dynamic lifter
2 tbsp Sulphite of potash

The npk of this mix comes to N24.8, P8.5, K7.9 does this sound about right and then I'll just add some more potash during flowering.

Last edited:

taslicker

good mix. my tomatoes would love it :biggrin:

The npk of this mix comes to N24.8, P8.5, K7.9 does this sound about right and then I'll just add some more potash during flowering.

the NPK balance is strong on growth nutrients, its approx 3:1:1
and most bloom nutes are the other way 1:3:3
but with that much volume of mix i'm sure there will be plenty of P and K to go around.

be careful if this grow spot has good light and water you could be growing a monster. :)

D

DU420

Ah tas my own personal sage back to help out again hey mate, there will be an indica in a 52L pot and a sativa dominate cross in a 38L pot, and they'll be in a 3m by 2.5m greenhouse covered with shade cloth, at its highest point its 2.4m tall tapering down to 1.5m at the sides. And if need be I've got the fox farm soluble trio to use during flowering.

D

DU420

Ok with taslickers help I came up with this mix for an outdoor grow

12L perlite
1.5 cups dolomite lime
3 cups Blood and bone + potash
4 cups Dynamic lifter
2 tbsp Sulphite of potash

This amount of mix only came to 52L, how does everyone else measure perlite? Does a standard 10L bucket measure 10L of perlite?

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
This amount of mix only came to 52L, how does everyone else measure perlite? Does a standard 10L bucket measure 10L of perlite?

Why don't you just use bags of a quality potting mix....they have everything you need in it.

D

DU420

I tried to find the potting mixes I was told about when i first started the thread but bunnings has changed suppliers and doesn't stock those brands anymore. Or are you saying outdoor mixes don't need perlite and such in them? This won't be in the ground it'll be in pots in a greenhouse. Sorry if i come across alittle dense I'm on strong meds, hence trying to grow my own medicine to get off of them. Cheers

D

DU420

I'm probably not the best person to answer this but I would say yes, if by micro grow you mean a few small stealth plants in a confined space you wouldn't want the large nutrient bank that would be built up in an ammended soil for outdoors otherwise the plants will be growing out the top of your cab.
And you wouldn't be able to control the type of nutrients the plants are receiving as easily, like when you want to switch to 12/12. That's only in the case of micro growing though not indoor growing in general. That's just my opinion but I'm a noob so if anyone with more exp wants to correct me go ahead.