What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

found a wasps nest at the top of my garden

C

cheesey

not sure if this is the right forum but here goes .

on thursday i started to strim my garden started at the top hedge 3 mins in to strimming i noticed a roundish ball just under the size of a foot ball next thing there was a swarm of wasps all over my hoodie arm i ran down the garden like fook jumped down a 6ft wall n went in to my house i striped off to my boxers , lucky there was only 1 wasp left on me but then the pain started 9 red holes on my little finger and part of my hand . i then started to get very hot n dizy and felt sick so off to the doctors i went . after having a check up doctor told me to by some cetirizine dihydrochloride so i did been taking 1 a day since i got stung by the wasps .

i foned up the local houseing to get the wasp nest removed but they wanted 50£ to do it so i went to the shop and got a can of wasp next killer its a can of foam . at dusk the other night i sprayed the whole can in the nest next day all were gone and nest had melted . .

its been 2 days now and my finger is still red and swollen i still had a bad head and feel sick .
any 1 know how long the vemom stays in your system for ???

pic of my 2 little fingers lol 1 isnt so little atm,

stung finger on left as u can see

mmmoil

I thought that was your pointing finger, I think you may be allergic but a football sized nest seems like it would of been noisy enough to avoid that area

C

cheesey

Its only formic acid they sting you with im sure you'll be fine.

yep ive been stung b4 but only by 1 wasp but doc said because i had so much in me in 1 place thats why i had a funny turn . tbh i was lucky there was easy 500 plus on my arm and hand so 9 stingss is lucky i think lol .

C

cheesey

I thought that was your pointing finger, I think you may be allergic but a football sized nest seems like it would of been noisy enough to avoid that area

not with a 35cc strimmer and a face mask n ear muffs on lol . 2bh it looked like a foot ball there was only 3 or 4 " of the nest showing . i will take some photos of it later . its all melted now . not 1 live wasp in sight .

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Wasp nests are open, you can see the cells. A closed nest with a small hole is most likely hornets. A yellow jacket main-lined me on the blue vein where it forks near the wrist. Damn hand swelled like Howie Mandel's rubber glove. The swelling stayed for a few days and the 'hole' hurt like hell. But I didn't have the symptoms you're describing.

Are you allergic? If not, don't worry. If so, Benadryl is an otc that works pretty good. They make oral liquid and hypodermics for faster relief. I doubt you need it but feeling sick after two days sounds like a bad episode.

C

cheesey

Wasp nests are open, you can see the cells. A closed nest with a small hole is most likely hornets. A yellow jacket main-lined me on the blue vein where it forks near the wrist. Damn hand swelled like Howie Mandel's rubber glove. The swelling stayed for a few days and the 'hole' hurt like hell. But I didn't have the symptoms you're describing.

Are you allergic? If not, don't worry. If so, Benadryl is an otc that works pretty good. They make oral liquid and hypodermics for faster relief. I doubt you need it but feeling sick after two days sounds like a bad episode.

hey wasps nest are not open heres a photo

my doc did say i might feel under the weather for 3 or 4 days so i guess i will be feeling better next week .

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Best wishes, looks like hornets. You may have inadvertently riled one and pheromones brought the pack. I've got wasps and they tend to ignore unless disturbed. Fuggin' hornets aren't predicable, even at a short distance.

Dr. D

Veteran
Best wishes, looks like hornets. You may have inadvertently riled one and pheromones brought the pack. I've got wasps and they tend to ignore unless disturbed. Fuggin' hornets aren't predicable, even at a short distance.

Wasps in the UK will attack you for no reason whatsoever they are very hostile, i personally hate the things.
That is a classic wasps nest hornets are massive here way bigger than a wasp.

V

Vesuvius

anytime i get stung by a wasp i mix up a batch of mud and cover the bite with a quarter size drop. it always stops the pain and reduces the swelling,when the mud dries peel it off and give it a wash.
its an old timey remedy that works well.

Dr. D

Veteran
Its not a hornets nest its a wasps nest, it even says it in the corner of the pic. Hornets nests in the UK are usually left alone and its very rare to find them or even see a hornet here, people don't usually destroy them unlike wasps nests. Ive only ever seen one hornet in my life and that was one my friend found in a hatched roof.
Wasps do generally build there hives inside things but they also build those hanging hives ive seen them loads of times, had one in my loft a couple years back, wasps not hornets. Im not saying hornets don't build like that, they do.
Il also add that what you (US) call yellow jackets are what we call wasps.
Peace

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
I've read, and this may not be true, that they are territorial. Some advocate putting replica nests inan area you don't want a real nest in. ...........Check on that info before applying it practically though......as I'm no insect expert

C

cheesey

i did some research about wasps and found out the nest was a new nest and now i have smashed it up and killed the queen all the other wasps what are not dead will go and find a new queen and nest .or make a new nest hopefully miles away lol . i will take some photos later of the smashed up nest .

B

buddymate

Thats your classic wasp nest,very,very easy to deal with,I used to charge £60 a nest,I once did 16 nests in 5 days :tiphat: that one has easy access,stick in your extension tube,shoot a puff of ficam into it and its goodnight vienna for all of the inhabitants :tiphat:

C

cheesey

Thats your classic wasp nest,very,very easy to deal with,I used to charge £60 a nest,I once did 16 nests in 5 days :tiphat: that one has easy access,stick in your extension tube,shoot a puff of ficam into it and its goodnight vienna for all of the inhabitants :tiphat:

i used a can of that rentakil wasp foam worked great

Dr. D

Veteran

Thats what my mate did to the one in my loft, he didnt even get in there just poked the nest and shot that powder in there.

Latest posts

Latest posts