What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Med Card Shows Up in Background Checks

Just finished smoking a blunt of some great local kush with a friend. The bullshitting eventually turned to talk of med cards. He says (and I've never heard this before) that if you get a med card it will show up in any background check, gov or otherwise. See ya later many jobs, especially anything government sector, military, and many fortune 500's. Any employer that checks and is not weed friendly.
I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I wanted to get it out there while I do some research

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
If doctors were to release such information without specific written consent from the patient or their legal agent incase of coma/emergency said doctors would get their asses sued to from here to mars and then face criminal charges.

O

ocean99

I think he may be talking about county issued medical cards? My county in particular did not vote for prop 215 and holds a hardline stance as far as med rights (specifically plant numbers and dispensary operation) goes, so fuck that I'm not putting a target on my back. A doctor's rec however, which gives you all the same rights, is between you and your doctor. No worries there, just don't get a med ID.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
In California....

The medical thing is all you need.

The legal thing is voluntary, because the medical thing still covers the legal thing.

M

Marywanna

Wonder if the MMJ states keep a list of MMJ Card holders? It's not something I would want my insurance to see. The only one of my Drs that know is the one that approved me. I am still not safe from the Feds.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Sorry guys, but I have to call Bullshit--
Here is what is on your County Card...
Q: What information will appear on the MMIC? A:

• A unique user identification number of the cardholder
  • Date of expiration of the identification card
  • Name and telephone number of the county program that has approved the application
  • Internet address used to verify the validity of the MMIC
  • Photo identification of the cardholder
  • “Patient” or “Primary Caregiver” to specify the cardholder

When you apply, your name and address is encrypted to a date base, and your card simply has an ID Number on it...your name has nothing to do with it--
I know a lot of you will not believe that they are not storing the info, but it is set up to be confidential, so if they were giving your info out, you would have a whopper of a lawsuit--
The County Card is not a security breach...it does take power from the Police tho...they have no choice but to honor it--:yeahthats

O

ocean99

^^ Hey thats dope dude, I shoulda done my homework. K+ on tha knowledge brah.

Arlen

I still would not trust the county issued card no way no how. I have worked for the feds in the past and sorry I don't trust anything they say. I just use my script and nothing else and my Primary Care doc knows nothing of this. Hand carry you records to your MMJ doc dont let you PCP send them either. I had to go through a 10 year background check and yes I think they could find your state issued card if they really try.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Not to burst anyones bubbles but the background check is a criminal check. Unless by owning a card makes you an instant criminal its not going to show up in a criminal background check.

If they are the new wave of d-bag then they might run a credit check on your SS. Beyond that they dont have access to any of the databases with your medical MJ info. Most of laws Ive seen on medical MJ have specific rules not allowing law enforcement general access to the information.

The most a company can do beyond a criminal check is drug test you. But if you have a valid MMJ card the testing company isnt allowed/cant reveal the results of marijuana part of the test.

Not to burst anyones bubbles but the background check is a criminal check. Unless by owning a card makes you an instant criminal its not going to show up in a criminal background check.

Usually it is more than a criminal background check, they look at stuff like whether you graduated when you said you did, whether you really had the jobs you claim you had and whether it was for the times you said it was, etc...

All kinds of non criminal stuff is checked on an employment background check (though I have no idea about whether the medical card thing would show up, my guess is no - or we would have heard about a bunch of people who didn't get jobs because of it)

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
The most a company can do beyond a criminal check is drug test you. But if you have a valid MMJ card the testing company isnt allowed/cant reveal the results of marijuana part of the test.

Can you expand on that?? I thought that they (Workplace) did not have to honor 215...that rec or not, if you were dirty, you failed--

Verite

Veteran
Can you expand on that?? I thought that they (Workplace) did not have to honor 215...that rec or not, if you were dirty, you failed--

Workplaces dont get to perform the test themselves they have to work thru an agency regulated to do drugtesting. Medical MJ is still medical .. same as if you were prescribed painkillers. Even if painkillers show up on the drugtest they arent allowed to report it as an illicit positive result when you have a valid prescription.

Verite

Veteran
Usually it is more than a criminal background check, they look at stuff like whether you graduated when you said you did, whether you really had the jobs you claim you had and whether it was for the times you said it was, etc...

All kinds of non criminal stuff is checked on an employment background check (though I have no idea about whether the medical card thing would show up, my guess is no - or we would have heard about a bunch of people who didn't get jobs because of it)

Funny dude .. either thats a good joke or you are seriously trying to point out the obvious of filling any job position. Either way its pretty funny.

HeD333

Workplaces dont get to perform the test themselves they have to work thru an agency regulated to do drugtesting. Medical MJ is still medical .. same as if you were prescribed painkillers. Even if painkillers show up on the drugtest they arent allowed to report it as an illicit positive result when you have a valid prescription.

I was completely unaware of this. Wow, california is practically a different country than here in the midwest. . .:badday:

Vegan

ahh heres my question

the last ime I took a test for employment they didnt want any script bottles
later when they called the asked for script # for all the meds I tested positive for ..
(they didnt test for MJ) but if they did how would you all suggest that called be anwered?

fax em my doctors script??

O

ocean99

I think most employers in california are pretty cool about weed in any way shape or form, most everyone working at a job a stoner would apply for is smoking weed anyways, or all of their co-workers are. Fuck having a med card, I've known plenty of people to still get hired coming up for weed on a piss test.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
I don't think the card protects you in Colorado from pre employment drug screening.
I know my scripts do when opiates show up..

707Corridor

Some good info here.

Heres a question though, A friend of mine had to apply for a concealed weapons permit somewhere in SoCal and he told me he didn't renew his script because the check they do for concealed weapons permit does go that deep. I didn't believe him.

So the question is do they check that when you apply for a concealed weapons permit? Another question...dont background checks differ from situation to situation?

eg. The FBI's/CIA's background check is more extensive than working for a Armored Car service.

Funny dude .. either thats a good joke or you are seriously trying to point out the obvious of filling any job position. Either way its pretty funny.

Nah, just pointing out that an employment 'background check' is different / more than a 'criminal background check'. While a criminal background check is indeed a component of employment screening, many other things feed into it as well.

I agree that point should indeed be obvious, I was just correcting what another poster had stated.

Latest posts

Latest posts