What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help planning my vegtables

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
Shit I want to grow besides weed:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Corn
Lettuce
Carrots
Cantaloupe
Pumpkin
Watermelon
Sunflowers
Potatoes

Do they all grow the same or do I need to change different soils for each different plant will they need different fertilizers? I have never grown anything besides weed?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
If you can get yourself an almanac, there is a table which has ph variances for many types of veggies. The almanac usually will have guides to what fertilizers are good for a particular vegetable. You can find moon guides and all sorts of very useful info there. I also suggest looking in to companion planting, onions w/ apples, basil w/ tomatoes, etc...there is tons and tons of useful information here @ ICmag and on the web. Happy growing!

L

LolaGal

Vegetables will thrive in Miracle Grow potting soil and tap water.

Watermelons like sandy soil. I usually plant them in a creek bottom land.

The rest of your list will think they've died and gone to heaven with MG soil and water, and of course, lots of light.

If I can grow 170 lb pumpkin outside in clay soil with MG fertilizer, think how happy a pumpkin would be in nice cool temps! Better get a bale of straw to sit the melons and stuff on!!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Shit I want to grow besides weed:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Corn
Lettuce
Carrots
Cantaloupe
Pumpkin
Watermelon
Sunflowers
Potatoes

Do they all grow the same or do I need to change different soils for each different plant will they need different fertilizers? I have never grown anything besides weed?

I am pulling up a chair for this one.
cuz i am kind of in the same boat as u r.

Im gunna try to gro.
Tomatoes
Cantaloupe
catnip for my cats.
Watermelon
tropical flowers
lavender
potatoes.

and what ever else I can.

also I agree with LolaGal. The rest of your list will think they've died and gone to heaven with MG soil and water, and of course, lots of light.

tomato plant is the only other plant Iv grown other than the dank herb.
now Im gunna try other things year.

well enough ranting for me.

well good luck and go for it.:2cents::joint:

barnyard

timing is everything

think in terms of cold weather and warm weather crops

cool weather: lettuce, spinach, peas, onions, parsnips, cabbage (and lots more). Can be direct sown from 2-8 weeks before last frost

warm weather: tomatoes, squash, peppers, beans (and lots more) ~ must be planted after soil warms and nights no longer freeze

another timing consideration is the length of your growing season ~ some maters take 65 days to mature while other won't have ripe fruit for 90 days (just like different budding times) ~grow varieties that will finish in time for your area

if the timing is right will it fit? corn, potatoes, vining squash can take up a lot of space. If space is limited there's compact varieties for nearly everything

diagram your space out to make sure everything is going to fit - for example a meter between mater plants is standard

maximize garden space succession planting and stacking

best of luck!

darkhollo

With regards to the almanac... it will tell you planting times (both frost based and moon based) for your zip. It's free and not that bad. Alot of the plantings will be the same for your crops (depending on area)

http://www.almanac.com/

Veggies are like dank, under optimum conditions you will get ultimate results.. but it will still produce even under suboptimal conditions. Try a bunch of different things, see what likes to grow in your area and what doesn't. But by your handle I guess you are norcal which means you can pretty much grow anything! When I've been to marin county everything fscking grows bigger, brighter and happier there.

Good luck with garden!

--dh

barnyard

food productions trumps

food productions trumps

good points dh

Marin county is like zone 10 which has winter time temps as low as -1 C (30 F) - warm enough to grow citrus!

l live in zone 5 where winter temps can be as as low as -20 degrees F (-28 C)

for zone 5 gardeners will start tomatoes and peppers indoors April 1st. This is approx. 6-8 week before the last frost

in zone 5 cold weather crops such as peas, onions, spinach and lettuce can also be direct sown on April 1st

happy cultivating!

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Zone-8 here and i can't wait to get things going outside! I've recently been getting my potato patch ready. We sould be getting some nice weather this week,weekend and I am really excited about toiling in the soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts