What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Happens After We Die?

None of us is going to live forever. Some of us grow our own medicine because of a terminal medical condition. Moreover any of us could die in a traffic accident or have a heart attack tomorrow. What will happen to the grow after you die? If you own where you grow, what precautions have you taken to ensure that your rightful heirs will inherit your house instead of law enforcement posthumously seizing it? If you have truly not told anyone, how would you go about leaving an oblique message to a relative or trusted friend to the effect of, “If I die suddenly, go to my house and clean it up before anyone else gets there.”

bakerman

Seed Junkie!:D
Veteran
Well if I'm dead,I'm sure I wouldn't care much!Had this convo with my mom,Well if you die they'll see all that stuff and like I told her,I'll be dead what will I care!I'd hope my seeds and weed find a good home,but chances are it will get chucked out!:frown:

Deputies find marijuana plants growing at the home of Shannon man found dead

Posted by Carol Robinson -- Birmingham News August 31, 2009 3:35 PM

An investigation into the death of a Shannon man led authorities to an indoor marijuana growing operation where authorities seized about $200,000 worth of marijuana plants.

Jefferson County sheriff's deputies were called to a home in the 1900 block of Dotson Drive Thursday night after Robert Dave Hollis, 57, had died. The death appeared to be natural, said sheriff's spokesman Lt. Randy Christian.

After discovering the marijuana operation, investigators obtained a search warrant which led to the seizure of about 80 marijuana plants ranging from new growth to mid-level growth, Christian said. An outdoor, underground shelter was also used for growing the marijuana.

Investigators also found evidence of an offsite outdoor marijuana grow operation affiliated with this one, Christian said, where plans were taken to mature.

Mature plants can produce up to $2,500 street value of marijuana per plant. Deputies also confiscated grow lights, digital scales, packaging material and numerous weapons.

Hollis lived alone at the home. The investigation is ongoing to determine who was involved in running the operation, Christian said.

So, what happens to this man's house?

Will his heirs inherit, or will it be lost to forfiture?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I just had this conversation with my wife last week, not a fun or happy chat. I basically told her to call my grower buddies and to have them help her learn to keep growing. I've taught her a lot but she is reluctant, but she would need to keep it going to pay the bills for sure. I also got a life insurance policy so she'll get enough to live on for a few years until she gets the hang of my setup.

ive always wanted to collect samples of my best grown/cured buds and save them in a safety deposit box. Then i'll include the buds in my Will.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
None of us is going to live forever. Some of us grow our own medicine because of a terminal medical condition. Moreover any of us could die in a traffic accident or have a heart attack tomorrow. What will happen to the grow after you die? If you own where you grow, what precautions have you taken to ensure that your rightful heirs will inherit your house instead of law enforcement posthumously seizing it? If you have truly not told anyone, how would you go about leaving an oblique message to a relative or trusted friend to the effect of, “If I die suddenly, go to my house and clean it up before anyone else gets there.”

You cant seize a house without a conviction and due process. Last time I checked you cant 'due process' the dead, nor can you simply just apply the charges to his next of kin.

You cant seize a house without a conviction and due process. Last time I checked you cant 'due process' the dead, nor can you simply just apply the charges to his next of kin.

Intelligent response. But do you need to charge a person to seize property? Can’t you charge the property itself with the crime of growing cannabis?

It’s my understanding that forfeiture laws rest on peculiar legal fictions that date back to feudal times or earlier, wherein inanimate objects are given life and then forfeited to the government for "their" criminal misconduct.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
we stoners think of the craziest shit sometimes.. This one time at bandcamp.... lol peace.

sack

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a question for a lawyer in the state which reside. I believe it would be an estate lawyer specifically, but don't quote me on that.

I would think most states would probably seize the property or at least try by making you prove it was obtained by legal means. I don't see them turning down the money. I don't think they would care about you or your family its the government.

B

Blue Dot

Intelligent response. But do you need to charge a person to seize property? Can’t you charge the property itself with the crime of growing cannabis?

It’s my understanding that forfeiture laws rest on peculiar legal fictions that date back to feudal times or earlier, wherein inanimate objects are given life and then forfeited to the government for "their" criminal misconduct.

Yeah, it's my understanding that when your house is seized all you really become is an "advocate" for the defense of the property.

If you die, there would be no advocates unless in your will you told your heirs to become the advocates and then they would have to go thru the civil court process of trying to keep your property from being seized.

C

Cheeb

I know of a guy who died with a pretty sizable grow in the basement.
Guy OD'd - live in girlfriend found him dead and called cops. The house was a rental but she was not charged. I'd say she got lucky - the odd thing is the cops didnt even take the equipment. It was later sold to another grower by the girlfriend..talk about odd.

- -

I often ponder the same. If I die and cops discover grow in a 2nd bedroom. Would my live in girlfriend be charged? It'd be pretty difficult to deny the grow a room over - let alone the mind state that she would be in at the time.

The reverse also concerns me equally...if not more.

If I come home and discover my live in girlfriend had died in the house how do you go about calling the cops and dealing with it all. Girlfriend/Wife dead and a sizable grow in the house - do you then start dismanteling everything before calling the cops.

You wait to long or move the dead you are then a prime suspect.

Of course there are many variables in this hypothetical.
What would you do in either event?

nice post -
cheeb

Hella THC

Leave it to the shit tastic US government to press charges on an anthropomorphisized object. Fucking chuckle heads. I hate those ass hat laws that make no sense... pretty much all of em.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Leave it to the shit tastic US government to press charges on an anthropomorphisized object. Fucking chuckle heads. I hate those ass hat laws that make no sense... pretty much all of em.

he he he... you said ass hats... roflmao...

Verite

Veteran

Then it shouldnt be difficult to find plenty of case precedent where peoples estates have been posthumously forfeited to the state for crimes they were never charged with.

I would agree if house forfeiture was a consistant normal part of simple grow busts but its not. In fact I dont know of any casual growers that got busted and were forced to forfeit their house. Dead or alive.

L

LolaGal

If this were true, then absentee landlords would forfeit their property when renters are caught growing.

I'm dead, my friends and family ain't gonna get in trouble for my hobby.

The law has to catch you alive to punish you for a crime.

Being dead is like a get out of jail free card. :)

B

Blue Dot

The law has to catch you alive to punish you for a crime.

Being dead is like a get out of jail free card. :)

Tell that to your creditors.

You really didn't think it would be that easy did you?

your debt WILL be passed on to the living. It's now their debt.

Dept is like forfeiture, it's against an inanimate object, not an actual person and this can be passed on to others.

Verite

Veteran
Tell that to your creditors.

You really didn't think it would be that easy did you?

your debt WILL be passed on to the living. It's now their debt.

Dept is like forfeiture, it's against an inanimate object, not an actual person and this can be passed on to others.

If it has a title, deed, or lien sure .. if not then the creditor is usually screwed. My dad died with thousands in credit card debt that the estate never paid a penny to and no one came after us.

L

LolaGal

Mwahahaha, I've got it figured out. I have no kids.

I signed the property over to the Nature Conservancy in my will.

They got tons of lawyers. They'll never get their hands on it.

Them creditors is screwed.... heeheeheehee too bad Visa! :)