What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please help my Orchids

_the420guy

I have two orchids that need help.I got them about a year and a half ago they had flowers on them but shortly fell off they did nothing for the longest time but now they are shooting leaves from all over.

Last edited:

Zizu

Hey there,

It's hard to tell what your orchids need without knowing how often you are watering and what type of fertilizer you are using and many other variables. I've switched my orchids to a semi-hydro system and it has made keeping them almost foolproof. Just plant them in a bucket of hydroton with a hole 2 inches up the side a-la hempy bucket and you have always perfect watering. Takes all of the guesswork out of orchid rearing.

Hope that helps.

GoldenGoblin

I would have to say that you have babies!
You can let them grow a bit then scissor them off above and below and plant them.
Thats really interesting that you have that.. I have always thought you needed stuff called 'keike paste' (basically just cytokinen paste for root growth) to make them propagate. You dab a bit on the spike where the sections meet, which is exactly the same place yours are growing.

One other thing is after they bloom, cut off the spike. That way when they are ready to flower again (mine seem to go about 6months on and 6 off) they grow a new one.

Last edited:
K

kenned

But remember, they have to be a certain size before you can cut them of the motherplant...!!

K

kenned

sorry for me not answering you..
the roots should be about 5cm/2inch and the should have at least a few leaves..

THC123

Veteran
How do u water them?

I always use orchid nutes and i give them canna rhyzotonic every 2 weeks.

They really seem to trhive with rhyzotonic. MAybe give them some root stimulator to give them a little push?

K

kenned

I dont think you have to water them, as they get what they need from the mother plant..
But sure, you could always try and give them some root stimulater, if it makes them grow faster, it works.. :)

K

kenned

yes. it looks like you have four babies.. Or maybe that second one, is a new branch.. not sure..
I think you should water them like you use to. But not the babies. They dont have any roots, so them you don't need to water..

can I see the whole plant? Normally orchids makes keikis because they are stressed/about to die, so they try to make a new plant...
Like weed does when it goes herma..

THC123

Veteran
with how do u water i mean do u just pour water in the pot? We here always spray the soil mixture wet never pour in water , also we spray water on the leaves and flowers twice a day

K

kenned

yes I just pour water in the pots, with a little bit of fertelizer.. But it is also good to spray water on the leaves... But not on the flowers!!!!!!
But if the plants like that you only spray on the soil, just keep doing it..

The plants I have is from a world famous orchid grower in Denmark and he uses a special mix called greenmix (made of roockwool and perlite) The greenmix doesnt do well dry, so I have to keep it moist...

THC123

Veteran
aha ok well i have something called orchid mix that seems to be made out of chips of wood with peat and stuff.

But i am not a professional orchid grower hehehe , i just took care of my GF's orchids when she was on holiday , when she came back she was astounded hpow they had grown and how beautuful the flowers where.

Just cuz i used root stim :D:D:D:

_the420guy

kenned
Yeah shes stressed about to die i dont really pay to much attention to them got two jobs and other thing are more important.My work gave me these two orchids and the flowers were already falling off so i just did what i could.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=1998

THC
I just pour water in the pots too with a little ferts

Lion

Funny you say that cause one of my co-workers told me today that it takes about seven years to flower.Let see if i can keep them that long lol.

K

kenned

haha yeah, thats one is not looking that great, 420guy....
Maybe you should just buy a new one.. ;)

It doesn't take 7 years to flower... 0,5-1 year to make the seeds ripe, ca 2-4 years to make the plant large enough to flower... But that is still a long time...

Latest posts

Latest posts