What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

need help finding "Devil's Club" seeds or plants

NOKUY

Veteran
ive been looking all morning, and i cant find anything tho i did find where some one purchased some plants at a nursery before.

i'd prefer to find somewhere willing to ship me some plants as ive read that the seeds are hard to germinate and can take up to 2 years...if i had a plant i could take cuttings.

i want a cpl as indoor houseplants, and some to plant outside to hide a cpl. mj plants behind.

for those who dont know what they are here are a cpl pix and a description:

Devil's Club (Oplopanax horridum):

2662244025_b820844737.jpg

450px-Oplopanax_horridus_15099.JPG

garden_kl.jpg

Devil's Club (Oplopanax horridus, Araliaceae; syn. Echinopanax horridus, Fatsia horrida) is a large shrub native to the cool moist forests of western North America. It is noted for its large palmate leaves and erect, woody stems covered in brittle spines. Also known as Devil's Walking Stick, the species was once included in the closely related genus Fatsia as Fatsia horrida.

Devil's Club generally grows to 1-1.5 m tall; however, instances exist of it reaching in excess of 5m in rainforest gullies. The spines are found along the upper and lower surfaces of veins of its leaves as well as the stems. The leaves are spirally arranged on the stems, simple, palmately lobed with 5-13 lobes, 20-40 cm across. The flowers are produced in dense umbels 10-20 cm diameter, each flower small, with five greenish-white petals. The fruit is a small red drupe 4-7 mm diameter.

The plant is covered with brittle yellow spines that break off easily if the plants are handled or disturbed, and the entire plant has been described as having a "primordial" appearance. Devil's Club is very sensitive to human impact and does not reproduce quickly. The plants are slow growing and take many years to reach seed bearing maturity, and predominately exist in dense, moist, old growth conifer forests in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
Hey Yukon....DC is some nasty shit bro!!!! My daughter got some in her hand just a couple weeks ago, hurt like hell and she got a nasty rash!!! HOWEVER, pm me and we may be able to work somethin out...I caould prolly get u some DC if u really want it....We'll talk...Peace

- Z

quadracer

http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=439

This place is great for rare, medicinal plants. Grown organically and earth friendly, of course.

Devil's Club (Devils Club) (Oplopanax horridum)
Family: Ginseng (Araliaceae)
Perennial rhizomatous shrub, native to Pacific Northwest, Western Canada and Alaska. Hardy to below -50 degrees F but not very heat tolerant--if your summers are very dry and hot you absolutely MUST provide cool shade or the plant will not do well. Awesomely spiny plant. A general adaptogen (similar in activity/constituent profile to American Ginseng and Eleutherococcus). It is the root bark that is mainly used. Antidiabetic. Much-employed ritualistic herb, used in sweats and on vision quest. Provide a moist, cool, and shady environment. Sow in fall for germination in the spring. This is fresh, undried seed from our own harvest. Sow immediately upon receipt. Mulch the planting with moist coir or forest loam to keep it from drying out. We prefer to do these in the shade house, but in colder climates an unheated greenhouse would be good, or if planting within the native zone then it might be possible to do them in outdoor nursery beds.
26 seeds/pkt.

Edit: Whoops, saw that you didn't want seedsx. They have lots of plants/rhizomes, but not of Devils Club.

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you can't find it locally, ie it is NOT native to your area, why would you want to introduce a non-native weed to your local area?

NOKUY

Veteran
If you can't find it locally, ie it is NOT native to your area, why would you want to introduce a non-native weed to your local area?

like i said i want 1 or more for houseplants just because i love them.....and outside a cpl in the yard to conceal a cpl weed plants.

i dont have plans to spread them about, but if they do spread i wouldent worry about it.