What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

purple haze thai dwc weird!

B

bringyalungs

started ace's purple haze Thai, dwc, pure blend pro grow, liquid karma, cal mag, silica blast, GH rapid start ppm around 500, ph 5.5-5.8... why is it doing this? too high ppm? I also have a couple strains in the same res; old timer haze and angola, but they don't seem to be affect like the thai.... see pics, all help appreciated thanks

W

wrapface

sometimes they are a bit finicky when young. often they bounce back to normal growth without changing anything.

sometimes they are a bit finicky when young. often they bounce back to normal growth without changing anything.

Some strains will behave differently. It looks nute burned but like wrapface said will bounce back. If the roots look good just flush and let 'em grow 500 ppm is fine. How hard is the water?

Scrappy-doo

Looks like she got the shit fried out of her. Thai's can be real finicky with nutes. I'd go less for now.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
are these young clones? they look like they're overfed as scrappy-doo suggested. i would cut the food way back like at least 50% and let em recover. it'll be a week or two before you see improvement. might wanna raise the ph a little bit closer to 6.2 and get em more access to the nitrogen in your mix.

B

bringyalungs

Some strains will behave differently. It looks nute burned but like wrapface said will bounce back. If the roots look good just flush and let 'em grow 500 ppm is fine. How hard is the water?

store bought RO water is being used initial ppm 0....roots look good, will post pics up soon

B

bringyalungs

are these young clones? they look like they're overfed as scrappy-doo suggested. i would cut the food way back like at least 50% and let em recover. it'll be a week or two before you see improvement. might wanna raise the ph a little bit closer to 6.2 and get em more access to the nitrogen in your mix.

not clones, they were started from seed...started with mills A+B and Start R with silica blast and Calmag but wasn't seeing any progress and quickly changed back to what I knew... Botanicare all the way... I was thinking that the ppm was too high, will transfer it to its own res and keep the ppms at 100-200 at max, maybe start at 100 and gradually raise... thanks for the help comrades, will keep you posted....

Cat Jockey

I've run 24 different strains at once in RDWC. I had 60+ strains in that room to choose from, and I kept heavy sativa phenos out of it - for they did not play nice with 90% of the other strains out there in the weed world.

It is more than just nute burn your plants are showing - their growth structure, leaf shape, etc., is showing an overall adverse reaction to the nute solution. I can either share my opinion, or bite my tongue. I'm more of an opinion sharer, lol. So, PBP sucks balls. And then, since it comes deficient in things like Ca and Mg, you need to give Botanicare more money for their Cal/Mag+, at which point (unless they changed formulas in the last several years) you are now throwing too much N in your res. And then, to help make up more for the lack of Mg in PBP, you gotta give Botaincare even more of your money for their Sweet, which, IIRC is pretty much nothing but Mg.

On top of that, the shit ain't even 100% organic, which is what launched it into stardom on the weed forums years ago - organic hydro. Table salt is an inroganic mineral salt. Without it, you die. Nothing inherently 'less healthy' with providing the Macro/Secondary/Micro nutes in inorganic mineral salt form. You can add organic stuff to your res, but I personally fail to see the benefits of trying to force hydro to use it as the base. Your plant is looking for NO3(-) or NH4(+), not really where it came from.

So, if you're sold on PBP, I won't change your mind, but there is my opinion about that. I've used it in hydro, and have watched multiple other growers use it. Some fairly good weed can be grown, but PBP is limited - it can't keep up with a dialed in growroom, at all.

And with heavy Sativa phenos, I would really advise against it in RDWC. You need both a simpler, more consistent and more adjustable nute regime. I strongly advise you do not adjust your res to above 6, pH wise - that is the point you should be throwing that shit out. Thai (as well as others) strains come from tropical areas - jungle type shit. That is actually pretty 'low quality' soil. And highly acidic. Thais are used to acidic, low nutrient soil. Mimic that, and certainly DO NOT adjust your res above 6.

My advice is to get GH Flora 3 Part. When you mix that shit up, you are in the low 5's - right where you SHOULD be. Cut the strength back even more that you would normally for RDWC. Dutch Master's Zone works well in RDWC and with GH Flora. Keep the RO water and do NOT add any Cal/Mag.

There is your BEST solution. And might best question to you is to ask yourself WHY exactly it was you chose to use PBP? What motivated you, how strongly are you tied to it, and how willing would you be to try something that works a little easier/better with your setup/plants?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you don't need to do all that, you just need to cut the food way back. i've grown sativa's almost exclusively my whole career. they all feed light for the most part. that plant is overfed and locked up, which is why i asked if clones cuz they look like they are trying to reveg like freshly rooted clones. those crinkled leaves and the overall yellow look of them combined with what you're feeding. clearly locked out. just cut the food in half for a while and i guarantee you they will bounce back.

Dready_jake

Fried. I'll put it this way this plant only ever got a max PPM's of like 600ppms when vegging. it went into flower it started to burn at any higher than 500ppms. And it's a lot bigger than yours

B

bringyalungs

catjockey, I started popped my cherry... pause.... with botanicare.... so it's kind of what I know, I was trying mills but as I said it wasn't showing me results as fast as botanicare would so I chickened out and switched back, I still have Mills and will use it in the future but just not for the landraces, maybe for some hybrids or crosses, cause I've seen the results and they look awesome. so short answer just comfortable with botanicare... u know men don't like change too much... lol...well it is looking like is snapping out of the crazy looking leafs... will give it 3 more days and then move from their depending on the change....

B

bringyalungs

lol... that plant you had in the picture there, is that a Thai?

Dready_jake

No,its just a light feeding sativa.

I don't really KNOW what's in it, lol its a super tangie mother with random mystery father. Basically it's a super tangie bag seed lol. But it hates N and nutes in general. I maxed her out at about 500-600 PPM's and been tapering off since as she shows burning. She hates nutes more and more in each different phase lol.

Cat Jockey

so short answer just comfortable with botanicare... u know men don't like change too much... lol....

Lol. Consider that info to keep in the back of your mind for future crops and nute selection. And again, don't intentionally jack your pH over 6.0 - that is when you should be dumping your res.

There is a lot of BULLSHIT out there on the weed forums (and has been for 10+ years) regarding pH, and I speak on the subject every time I stop by ICMAG. If anyone is curious, you can click on my name and find a few posts where I talk about it more.