What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Minimalist farmer starting off the season

oldCounty

Some may drop off and some may come aboard, but, this is where I am at so far this year. Pics to follow, any input greatly welcomed. Seeds were sporadically planted since early February.

Commercial seeds i've started:

Blackberry Kush (mendocino seed co)
The Maestro (norstar) purple urkle x frisco og
Candyland (blu/king klone)
Jungle Scout (norstar tester) GSC x Col. gold
Afghani (herbies freebies)

Seed stock being ran:

E18 (needs renaming, were testers or mislabels)
Mandarina (green crack x reversed og)
Mango (green crack x reversed blueberry cross)
unnamed F1 (GSC x reversed og)

Still deciding on clones, but, currently narrowed down to:

blue frost
blue knight
gt blue dragon
alien cheese (head stash worthy?)
green ribbon
gg#4

Commercial autos in the lineup:

Headlights Kush
Lemon Haze
Bubba Cheese
Sweet Mix (sweet seeds)

oldCounty

The potting mixes consist of either:

Black Gold + Perlite (light)
Black Gold + Perlite
(majority) Black Gold + Perlite + Marine Cuisune + Bio Zeus
Black Gold + Perlite + Green Reign + Bio Z.
Lakeside Peat + Perlite + Compost + Marine Cuisine + Bio Z.

Last year I ran exclusively Black Gold + Marine Cuisine at 1tblspn per gal. The roots were pretty amazing. Testing never stops though...

There's not much to see here, but, here is the Blackberry Kush from Mendocino Seed Co, regular seed, at least 4 mutants popped up out of 12. A friend also had 3 out of 10 mutants.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
picture.php

picture.php

Headlights Kush autos

picture.php
[/FONT]

Sweet Seeds autos
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]

oldCounty

Last year and this year will closely resemble the same lineup:

Earth Juice Seablast grow and bloom
oilycann
silica
topfeeding

I'm a bit stumped on amending this year. I plan on throwing some oyster shell, earthworm/green compost, manure (chicken or alpaca,) and dr earths bio(righteous?) for inoculation. Soil testing will need to get done asap.

I am tempted to use the earth juice rainbox mix in a few pots after seeing some monsters. Price is a bit out of reach for minimalist farms though :)

My main potters are currently around a cubic yard of soil. I'd like to bump it up to 2 yards this year but i'm running out of time to get everything done i'd like.

You probably shouldn't follow this advice: I don't run hoophouses, the fluctuations in temperatures at night/day does effect my plants because of this.

Here's a GSC x reversed OG planted at the end of January for... science! :)

and this is a blueberry indica cross that was hit with an unnamed "cherry lime" male, this one and a few others popped late December on their own. I culled them all except the 1. Pre-flowers going wild, will let it stink and calyx up before I decide to chop or take a clone.

Last edited:

oldCounty

That about sums it up currently. Will likely update with pictures only once or twice a month.

May you live in interesting times.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
nice oldcounty im about to germinate my seeds saturday as well..i sure hope this year is better then last year..i got hit with leaf spot,fungas gants and bud rot last year hard..so this year its all about prevention for me. im useing fox farm ocean forest and happy frog..gonna throw in some neem and karnaja meal,kelp and alfalfa in the mix to..i been thinking about getting the down to earth vegan mix as well but havent made my mind up yet on that..i got 2 autos that im gonna try out this year that come as freebies..i have never grew any autos so wanna test these out then might be a differnt out-look for 2016 season depending on how this year goes..gl man i will be watching

oldCounty

I thought I was doing pretty good last year against the pests till I hit the last couple weeks of flowering. The russet mites did terrible things to a lot of farms in my area, having soiled trucked in helped delay the inevitable but it was still a battle.

This is my first year running autos too, a buddy of mine ran magnum, cash crop, white berry or berry white? and a few others last year. The magnum was really decent. Smell and taste, and it was surprisingly pretty stoney. over 2zips Harvested just before june 1st, not fed on schedule and looked like indoor. I picked up non-fem on the emerald triangle strains, should be a chucken good time.

Will get some more info up about the soil mix I go with in the main potters soon. I really like the idea of using neem and karanja, maybe I need to get that done in a couple of potters. Anyone have recommendations on how much per cu yard of soil?

oldCounty

Im going pretty big with the autos this year, I lost 50+ autos to fungus gnat larvae in February so that has that project delayed. Will have pics and details of that when replanted.

Got new soil for the bed and was lazy about getting the DE. 2/20, never forget. :)

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
ya a few guys on roll it up showed a video on those little fuckers..they look horrid!! i hope i never get those things. im looking forward to see how the autos do myself..it will be nice to get some bud in way before the cops and rippers think about even looking..dinafem got a very nice auto that looks like indoor when grown proper its the critical auto..also seen a cream mandarin auto from sweet seeds look fkn badass..a half a cup each to each 1 CF of soil will be good

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Im going pretty big with the autos this year, I lost 50+ autos to fungus gnat larvae in February so that has that project delayed. Will have pics and details of that when replanted.

Got new soil for the bed and was lazy about getting the DE. 2/20, never forget. :)

i know the feeling man on the fungas gant larave..they tunneled into my stalk and turned it into mush..im gonna use skeeter dunks mixed into my soil along with the neem and karanja meals to take care of those fkers this year

oldCounty

:tiphat: About time for an update!!

Some good, some bad, some expected.

Lets start with the cherryberry seed I threw out in December...

picture.php

picture.php

Then the GSCxOG thrown out in January....

picture.php

picture.php

These plants were only fed once with a few tablespoons of bloom food but still put out what I expected. The cherryberry is nice and dense, very peppery stinky. The GSCxOG seems to have the GSC bud structure that I remember, those leaves tho! Only getting a deep coffee bean smell from it.

Will get the autos up next, the raised bed was basically a giant disappointment. I should of just popped a bunch of my pollen chucks or ran them all in pots. Now... back to the show

oldCounty

Headlights Kush

Headlights Kush

Headlights Kush from Emerald Triangle [regs]

These were the standouts to me, though disappointing results, they had a few factors going against them. Pots stayed moist for a good 4 weeks. They were planted Feb. 11th outdoors, straight into soil. There was great weather however. They were fed 4 weeks ago with garden tone, on the 16th they were given OilyCann (calmag) & EarthJuice Catalyst. They are in 3gal pots. 3reg seeds, 3 females.

This one is the standout...

picture.php
picture.php

This one is the stand out as far as frost goes, just no bud structure.

picture.php
picture.php

Then there is this one, from a looks perspective nothing stands out too much...

picture.php

oldCounty

Sweet Seeds Mix Autos

Sweet Seeds Mix Autos

Sweet Seeds Mixed Autos [fem]

These are the ones in potters, they were fed the same schedule as the headlights kush. The potters may have different mixes, the first few posts have that info.

These were started February 11th, straight into soil outdoors...

The lone 7gal pot

picture.php
picture.php

The 3gal potters...

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

oldCounty

BREAK

BREAK

:tiphat: Aloha! :tiphat:.

All of these pictures were taken on the 10th or on the 16th. I missed a water day (4/15) due to scheduling issues and my plants took the brunt of the punishment. You'll see this in some of the pictures, the plants are pretty sad. It sucks but it was my own fault. Anyhoo

Back to pictures!

oldCounty

Sweet Seeds Mixed Autos

So, the giant disappointing elephant in the room, the raised bed project. On February 11th I filled up the raised bed with seeds only to lose all but 6 to fungus gnats. I believe it's from the new soil I used. I took about 1.5gal of black gold and mixed it with about .5gal of perlite for 3/4ths of the holes. The last 1/4 holes were bumped up to around 1/3 perlite to black gold.

grumble grumble

The second batch of autos were "germed" for 3 days indoors in root riot cubes or the coco pucks. When 3-4 of the 30 were poking their heads out, I transplanted them all into the black gold/perlite mix in the raised bed and 6 into 1gal potters. This was on March 19th, within 3 days, they were all poking straight out of the dirt and looked ready to take off...

Edit: Stunting occurred, the fault seems to lie on my shoulders. :/

Last edited:

oldCounty

Now that the new project is mostly out of the way, by tomorrow ill have my photoperiods posted up, here's a few for now :woohoo:

picture.php
picture.php

Let's play, Spot the keeper!! :)

oldCounty

I never did get those photos up, but the auto project is almost done. Here's a few pics, will sort through and detail later. I'm stuck working from a tablet currently...

These are all Sweet Seeds Mix autos

Bottom nug from a water only pot so its stemmy, but the smell is ridiculous. Like the limonene cleaners...
picture.php

4ft tall big devil xl or blackjack xl possibly...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Another just under 4ft, slightly different smell

picture.php