What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SOIL vs COCO?

L

Leonidas

Hey guy's it's me Zoo , I wanted to give you a head's up to try to find another product that works well in coco besides Boost . I think Boost is good but I know we can find a product that's as good and half the price or even less , This is the only way their gonna feel us and drop the damn price .

Grizz

Veteran
zoo you sneaky ole man, gone one day and back the next. I havent used the boost and really don't think its nessary to grow some great bud.
Oscur I feel the one gl bags work prtfect. I put one in a 2 gl. bag and there was no differance in it and the 1 gl.
I also disagree about having to water every day. doesent seem to make a differance in my garden, coco is so airy that it gets pleanty of air. And why waste nutes and time if you don't need to.

sirshamus

This coco sounds very interesting, but I'm a noob. Is it noob friendly? My current grow I've had to deal with salt build up and it sucks.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
sirshamus- coco is real noob friendly. My first time had good results.
When I used strait coco I waterred 2-3 times a week and got good results, waterring every day seems like a waste.

Tony Danza

sirshamus said:
This coco sounds very interesting, but I'm a noob. Is it noob friendly? My current grow I've had to deal with salt build up and it sucks.

If you keep it simple and follow an extablished nute regimen, (H3ad's, Zoo's, Ganga Pasha's) it is really hard to fuck up.

I do think watering everyday is important, if the coco ever dries out, you will start to see burnt tips, and every time you water, you are replenishing the oxygen in the coco, I've noticed on plants that I don't water everyday (mothers) the root structures are pitiful compared to the ones that get fresh nutes everyday.

Yeah seriously old thread, I was waiting to see someone chime in with "why the hell would you grow in a 70/30 hydroton/coco mix?" until I read the date.

Only works with perlite. LOL

Last edited:

sublunacy

Im used to the bricks. I break some off, and boil it in a large pot for 15 minutes, then cool it for 30 min+. add More cool tap water, then drain and squeeze dry.
I no longer "break" up the brick, just drop it in the pot whole, cause it gives more volume and less dust.
Thought ide add that for noobs. looks simmilar to cotton candy and the smell while boiling is..... Soooo Good (sublime) ...,like gentle air freshener/pina colada....

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
We had a large mother plant OG Kush that was growing in straight coco coir, this thing was a beast. Unfortunately it contracted powder mildew and we decided to axe her. Before doing this, we let her sit in the dark for almost a week to see how long she would last, along with a few other plants that were being grow in hydroton.

the hydroton plants were shrivled up and dead within a day or two, but the cococoir mother plant held on for dear life. After 4 days she was still dark green and looking good, shows the water retention of coco.

Unforunately we still had to kill her.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
soil vs coco

good question. i'm a first time grower and could not decide which to go with. so. i went with both

I have a six pot scrog. 3 pots of soil, 3 pots of coco.. so lets see who wins :)

the hydroton plants were shrivled up and dead within a day or two, but the cococoir mother plant held on for dear life. After 4 days she was still dark green and looking good, shows the water retention of coco.

I'm so confused, some people are saying that they need to water their coco daily, while 4 day water retention is probably more than soilless mixes ive seen! most posts on this thread people are saying they water their coco daily.. that's ALOT of watering I think! unless you have excessively large plants or small containers right? Hmm, Im considering going to coco because a 50 L bag of it online is only 20 bucks from Canna, however I cant find some good nutes specifically for coco online.. can anyone help me out?

while this thread IS about soil vs coco, what about soilless mixes that dont involve coco? Usually you can set one up to retain water for a good 2-3 day watering regimen.. or maybe that is why people mix their coco with perlite.. hm. non-coco-soil-less versus pure coco?

solarz

People water coco daily because you have to treat it like hydro, and not soil. You will explosive growth if you actually treat it like hydro, instead of soil...this provided oxygen, nutes, etc...daily, the same way as in a hydro grow.

G

Guest 18340

Hey SativaDreams, solarz is right, coco is to be treated like hydro, thats why it gets watered everyday, sometimes 2-3x a day. I water twice a day now and find that the plants explode with every watering.
As for coco specific nutes, thats debatable big time.
I use GH flora series + tap water (no cal/mag added). I have NEVER had a def. I just finished an outdoor Mango/Widow, in coco, that got fed nothing but Miracle grow Tomato plant food. Again, no defs whatsoever.
Check the coco forum and you will get answers to all your questions.
Evl...

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
soil vs coco

good question. i'm a first time grower and could not decide which to go with. so. i went with both

I have a six pot scrog. 3 pots of soil, 3 pots of coco.. so lets see who wins :)

Well I'm pulling these in a few hours and I can already tell you... Coco wins... hands down... I'll post some numbers when everything is dry :smile:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find 50ffof/50coco gives me bigger yields. Seems the best of both worlds with the action of the coco and the beneficial organics of the ffof. I let near dry and water till just runoff.
No need for food until flower. I'm using 30ml PBP/5ml CM+/10ml LK flower to flush.
Maybe give it a go sometime, jamie

Solidopc

I'm doing both right now, prefer the coco in all areas apart from it's probably more work. They need watering more often than my soil plants, but not everyday. They just drink alot faster as they grow much faster and more vigourously.

I mix mine with some perlite, and i actually prefer the taste of the coco bud to the soil bud. I use canna coco a+b and find them great, don't want to change, taste is great and the plants want for nothing. It's actually easier to keep a plant tip top healthy in coco i find than soil. My coco plants are green down to the bottom most leaf, where i find it hard to achieve this with soil. The lower leafs allways seem to get some form of necrosis or yellowing even when fed properly. Coco just works so well i will never change from it now.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
I find 50ffof/50coco gives me bigger yields. Seems the best of both worlds with the action of the coco and the beneficial organics of the ffof. I let near dry and water till just runoff.
No need for food until flower. I'm using 30ml PBP/5ml CM+/10ml LK flower to flush.
Maybe give it a go sometime, jamie

I do something similar.

I use a mix of Amazon Bloom Soil (coco and peat based), roots soil (coco based), roots coco, and ffof plus some beneficials.

Volume of coco in the mix is around 40%. And yeah only plan on feeding once maybe twice in veg and then weekly in flower.

THC123

Veteran
In cocos you will get healthier faster growing plants but in the long run they will remain greener in soil(when talking bout mixes with no liquid nutes added)

southpaw

I love them both.

For my next run from seed, I'm seriously considering a coco/ perlite veg run using the GH series, giving them a good flush, then transplanting into organic soil for flowering. As long as I keep the soil on the moist side for the first few days, I don't see why the coco roots won't adapt well. One less transplant also, since a big enough cup of coco can support a good sized plant.

Best of both worlds, a coco-fast veg and organically sweet buds.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I grow with 1/3 soil(pro-mix, castings, compost, etc), 1/3 coir, and 1/3 perlite. Works great so far! Why choose one or the other. I'm going organic, and I no longer have to worry about pH, and with coir as at least 1/3 of my mix, I no longer have to worry about ever over-watering them.

Latest posts

Latest posts