What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving and worried about smell

• Thread starter Buddhafamily456
  • Start date

insomniac_AU

If you have a room with a tent in it you could have one can and fan inside the tent expelling air into the room and another carbon can and fan inside the room filtering and extracting air outside. That way all air from inside the flower box would pass through a filter twice before going outside. I haven't tried it but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Gry

I live in an apartment. Befriend the maintenance guy.
The maintenance guys always hate the boss, but they can only do but so much as they are 'down the food chain'.
My maintenance guy has rearranged wiring and plumbing for me, has given me gear etc.
Wonderful person.
I am in the sfv, and moved here for access to cannabis due to cancer.
Told the landlord that on my first meeting.
As I told him that, I watched his wife write on our application; 2.5 times regular deposit.
I did of course have the same concerns you did.
In my case the land lords wife alleviated my concerns.
Had she not done that, I would still be using carbon filters today.
Run a perpetual, of OG Bubba and Glue, and it smells wonderful.
Been here 15 years, never had any problems over cannabis.
I am now the tenant who has longest been in the building.

best wishes for positive results

B

Buddhafamily456

could you reccomend the best carbon filter? the one ive always used is called mountain air i think is the brand. i'd also like to use good solid quiet fan if you could recomend me a good brand for that id appreciate it
negative pressure is what i mean. and enough of it to stop any air escaping through any cracks.

depending on your ducting work, there might be leaks in it, so your ventilator shouldn't be separated by ducting from the filter, thats a potential place for unfiltered air to get sucked into the duct. if the ventilator is sitting directly on the filter air tightly attached, no un filtered air will get out side. you don't just buy the filter your room is sized at, you go dbl the size and run the air through it slower then the fans max power. this makes the filtering process 100% efficient. you can stick your head at the end of the duct and smell as much as you want, no smell will get through. it's when people get the minimum size ventilation and filter that they get in trouble with smell as everything is running at full capacity all the time, any temp changes or weather can decrease filtering efficiency, so if you are running at max capacity, your filter has no reserve filtering power for bad atmospheric conditions for filtering air. this together with negative pressure and having the ventilator directly on the filter is full proof. i speak from many years f experience doing this in all kinds of situations, even apartments where the grow is 1 thin door away from the public stair well. negative pressure is your friend. to give an example i have 1 k q/m capacity carbon filter for a 2 x 600 wat flowering space. but the ventilation only ever runs at from 20% power to 40% and 60% when i do trimming. a good controller that reduces air flow at lower temps and increases at hoter temps is the way to go. modern electric ventilations are easy to control and even come with climate controllers.

B

Buddhafamily456

i hope your condition is improving brother and wish you good health

Gry

Thank you, I feel incredibly fortunate to still be here.

Never having had the need for filters, I have no experience to speak from.
Were scent were a concern, I would be inclined to oversize my filter, relative to the size of the grow, and I might select an ozone generator sized
appropriately to my exhaust flow.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
don't buy light weight carbon scrubbers, by the highest quality heavy duty ones they have and go for dbl the capacity they recommend. same with the ventilation, not sure what brands you have in the US, but it's not something you want to save on. in the EU you have these new metal pipe shaped ventilators that are being sold for use with carbon scrubbers, they are made for permanent use and are not loud at all when you do like i said run them at way reduced speed. i will try find a site that sells what i mean to link up, these new ventilators are very easy to run over a speed controller, they are sold together now. the other type to reduce noise is to go with big ducts, i know it takes space and is a pain to make it look nce, but the larger your ducting diameter is the less noise their will make traveling through. so even with a 2 lamp set up i used 250mm ducting. also bye the sonodec type insulated ducting if you can't or dont want to use metal ducts, which will make the least noise. the insulated ducting does a good job of noise reduction though, compared to non insulated ducting.

edited to add:

these are not cheap, but i used it in the newest place i helped a mate build and it's awesome, doesn't waste power and has a very good electric controller that is made to operate it. those cheap controllers you find in grow shops with the old style ufo ventilators will make a loud buzzing. so if you want to use one of the cheaper oled style ventilators, you have to spend more on a controller that actually reduces the power without turning the surplus to heat and noise.

https://www.growshop.ch/growshop/lueftungsanlagen/lufter-ec/canfan-q-max-ec.html

bit cheaper but without a controller

https://www.growshop.ch/growshop/lueftungsanlagen/lufter-schallisoliert/iso-max.html

so for the no digital ventilators heres what you need to control the climate. not cheap, but it actually works for years and years reliably and is still running 1 place, and it isn't noisy like the cheapo crap ones are and doesn't burn out like the cheap ones either.

https://www.growshop.ch/luftungssteuerung-torin-aric-8a-5-stufenregler-mit-thermostat.html

the prices are to be ignored as they are v expensive in this area compared to the US, but this gives you an idea what kind of products you are looking for.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
also important that the exhaust actually gets blown out the window. anything else decreases efficiency quite a bit.

Gry

I think about what has made things workable for me.
I live in an older area, that has a lot of trees and shrubbery and there is jasmine, honeysuckle and citrus all over the area.

Were you to get a small jasmine or honeysuckle to grow inside, I would imagine it would go a long way, in helping to mask anything that slips by your filters.

B

Buddhafamily456

Thank you so much for the help. So what size can do you recommend me getting for a 4x4 room? Would an 8" be oversized enough?

also important that the exhaust actually gets blown out the window. anything else decreases efficiency quite a bit.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
we do it by the metric system, but 4 by 4 feet is quite small. i don't recall the formular for sizing the vents, just look it up and then dbl the size or even a bit more then dbl if noise is important. the lower speed it runs at the quieter it will be.

i also noticed not every space is the same, some get hot faster, specially if the lamps are in a tent or grow box made to size. the bigger the room the lamps are in the easier the temps can be dealt with.

Easy7

Veteran
I lived in a very old run down building and used to stink it up real good. Moving, I think I used a cooler.

Sometimes it's best to shut down and cut your attachments. Don't be all stuck on growing and catch a case. If your renting record shows growing, you may be homeless. Especially a criminal record.

Then it's all slum lord shit which can be great for growing.