What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Free Tommy Robinson

beta

Veteran
English far-right activist Tommy Robinson was given a 13-month prison sentence on 25 May 2018, following a Facebook Live video he broadcast from outside a trial of several men accused of a range of child sexual abuse offenses.

The sentence prompted a wave of outrage and protests (mostly, but not entirely, among various factions of the far right) and claims that Robinson’s rights to free speech were being violated in the interests of political correctness; Robinson stated in the video that many of the defendants were Muslim.

On 28 May 2018, the “alternative medicine” and conspiracy theory site NaturalNews.com claimed that Robinson had been silenced without due process in order to “protect Muslim pedophiles” because “the UK government is run by criminal pedophiles who rely on Muslim pedo networks to provide a steady supply of nine and ten-year-old little girls and boys.” Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones described the episode as “historic” and his Infowars web site called the arrest of Robinson “the beginning of the end for free speech in Europe.”

These claims are based on a wild misunderstanding of a very basic principle in the legal system of England and Wales, and of other parts of the U.K. Far from being a “historic” violation of due process, Robinson was jailed because a court judged he had breached the terms of an existing suspended sentence for contempt of court by violating a set of reporting restrictions often placed on the news media and others in the United Kingdom in order to protect the due process rights of defendants and prevent the collapse of trials, something that could jeopardize the conviction of potentially guilty and dangerous individuals.

The “media blackout” on the child sexual abuse trial referred to by NaturalNews.com was not designed to “protect Muslim pedophiles,” but rather to protect the integrity of the child sexual abuse trial itself, prevent a costly re-trial, and avoid witnesses having to go through the trauma of testifying in court again.

Reporting restrictions such as those imposed in the child sexual abuse case in question are temporary, meaning that the news media can reveal previously-censored details after the trial has concluded. So Robinson was not jailed for engaging in journalism, or for merely reporting on alleged criminality. He was jailed for violating a court order, breaching the terms of an existing suspended sentence, and potentially risking the collapse of an ongoing trial.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tommy-robinson-arrest/

beta

Veteran
In the video, Robinson could be heard reading out defendants' names and the charges they were accused of—some of which were incorrect—as they arrived at the court.

The 35-year-old was eventually arrested on suspicion of causing a breach of the peace and was charged hours later. He admitted to committing contempt of court by publishing information that could prejudice an ongoing trial and was jailed for 13 months.

https://www.newsweek.com/why-was-tommy-robinson-arrested-far-right-activist-jailed-13-months-947525

beta

Veteran
Robinson, a pseudonym of 35-year-old Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was arrested Friday at Leeds Crown Court in northern England, where he was broadcasting details of an ongoing trial on Facebook.

The trial is covered by restrictions on what can be reported while it’s underway — a common practice in Britain, designed to protect the impartiality of the jury.

Judge Geoffrey Marson told Robinson that his actions could be “highly prejudicial to the defendants in the trial.” He said Robinson had broadcast details of the defendants and the charges they face, including some wrong information.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/uk-far-right-figure-tommy-robinson-jailed-for-contempt/

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
If the obvious similarity of today's British treatment of Muslims and latterday German treatment of Jews isn't being observed, I suppose nobody will look at it directly of they choose to simply focus on the difference.

Face your own truth as you see fit.

GN: No mustard....its more like the Pakistani muslims in the grooming gangs (not all Pakistani muslims) treatment of the British girls is like how the Nazi's treated the Gypsy's and the Slav's and the Polish and the communists and the Jews....raping and abusing them.

The British government have allowed this totalitarian fascist islam to invade the UK, because they do a roaring trade in selling bombs and missiles, planes and all sorts of weapons of mass destruction to islamic countries, to help them kill each other and create wars in the ME.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Mr Robinson was arrested in the street outside the courthouse on the last day of the trial, when this Pakistani muslim pedo grooming gang was being sentenced. No way could he have prejudiced the trial because essentially it was all over, the jury had delivered their verdict already, and the Judge just had to read out the sentence...

Gry

Hell man, as I have followed the thread, I was left wondering when someone was going to address the boy grooming issue.

Nice one Beta:tiphat: finally after 19 pages of utter nonsense someone has posted what really happened! The only thing Tommy Robinson cares about is Tommy Robinson :moon: anything for a bit of of publicity and if its bad publicity he can spin it and play the victim and some folk will lap it up :spanky:, hes a shit stirring fuckwit

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Which ever way you're door swings on this topic, tomorrow there will be a verdict on Mr Robinson's appeal.

Either he will be kept in clink for a few more months, or he will be set free....

from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

Robinson denies racism and antisemitism, going so far as to declare his support for the Jewish people and Israel, calling himself a Zionist. Robinson claims his friends include both black and Muslim people

2017–present: Journalism and further convictions

Robinson became a correspondent for The Rebel Media, a Canadian political and social commentary website, in February 2017. In May 2017, he was arrested for contempt of court after he attempted to take video of the defendants in a child rape case outside Canterbury Crown Court.

Robinson responded on Twitter to the Finsbury Park attack writing, "The mosque where the attack happened tonight has a long history of creating terrorists & radical jihadists & promoting hate & segregation," and, "I'm not justifying it, I've said many times if government or police don't sort these centres of hate they will create monsters as seen tonight." Robinson's statements were widely criticised in the media as inciting hatred. Appearing the next morning on Good Morning Britain, Robinson held up the Quran and described it as a "violent and cursed book". The host, Piers Morgan, accused him of "stirring up hatred like a bigoted lunatic", and Robinson's appearance drew a number of complaints to Ofcom. Robinson was involved in a fight at Royal Ascot later in June 2017, for which Morgan criticised him on Twitter.

In May 2017, Robinson was convicted of contempt of court for using a camera inside Canterbury Crown Court and received a suspended sentence. According to Judge Heather Norton, "this is not about free speech, not about the freedom of the press, nor about legitimate journalism, and not about political correctness. It is about justice and ensuring that a trial can be carried out justly and fairly, it's about being innocent until proven guilty. It is about preserving the integrity of the jury to continue without people being intimidated or being affected by irresponsible and inaccurate 'reporting', if that's what it was".

9 June 2018, Trafalgar Square: Protests for the Release of Robinson
On 25 May 2018, Robinson was arrested for a breach of the peace while live streaming outside Leeds Crown Court during a trial on which reporting restrictions had been ordered by the judge.

Following Robinson's arrest, Judge Geoffrey Marson QC issued a further reporting restriction on Robinson's case, prohibiting any reporting of Robinson's case or the grooming trial until the latter case is complete. The jailing of Robinson drew condemnation from right wing circles.

The UK Independence Party leader Gerard Batten MEP expressed concern about the proceedings and the ban on reporting. Robinson attracted sympathy from several right-wing politicians in Europe including the Dutch Party for Freedom leader Geert Wilders and the member of the German Bundestag for the far-right Alternative for Germany Petr Bystron.

The weekend following Robinson's arrest his supporters have held rallies in his support. An online petition for his release had more than 500,000 signatures. Hope not hate said its analysis showed that only 68.1% of the signatures were from the UK, with 9.7% from Australia, and 9.3% from the US. Canada, Germany, France, New Zealand, Netherlands, Sweden and Ireland accounted for the remainder.

On 29 May 2018, the reporting restriction was lifted with regard to Robinson, following a challenge by journalists, and the media reported that Robinson had admitted contempt of court by publishing information that could prejudice an ongoing trial, and had been sentenced to 13 months' imprisonment

Marson sentenced Robinson to ten months for contempt of court and his previous three months' suspended sentence was activated because of the breach. Robinson's lawyer said that Robinson felt "deep regret" after comprehending the potential consequences of his behaviour. Robinson was told that if a retrial had to be held as a result of his actions the cost could be "hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds".

In July 2018, it was reported that the United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, Sam Brownback, lobbied the UK government on the treatment of Robinson. The Middle East Forum has lobbied the United States government and provided financial aid for rallies and legal aid.

Robinson has lodged an appeal which claims that he had not admitted the charges or been given a chance to apologise. It also claims that his initial contempt sentence was flawed as it was not clear what it entailed. In addition, the appeal argued that his sentence was unfair in duration. Judgement on the appeal has been reserved.

Last edited:

Gry

Imagine Manifort would dearly love to be able to trade places with him.
Last time I was ordered in a barber's chair would have been early in May 1974 !

kushedy

If the obvious similarity of today's British treatment of Muslims and latterday German treatment of Jews isn't being observed, I suppose nobody will look at it directly of they choose to simply focus on the difference.

Face your own truth as you see fit.

GN: No mustard....its more like the Pakistani muslims in the grooming gangs (not all Pakistani muslims) treatment of the British girls is like how the Nazi's treated the Gypsy's and the Slav's and the Polish and the communists and the Jews....raping and abusing them.

The British government have allowed this totalitarian fascist islam to invade the UK, because they do a roaring trade in selling bombs and missiles, planes and all sorts of weapons of mass destruction to islamic countries, to help them kill each other and create wars in the ME.

There are more similarities between Nazi ideology & the Muslim faith. Do you recall Jewish people raping German children or blowing up German citizens or stabbing German citizens. No they didn't so comparing British treatment of Muslims to German treatment of the Jewish people is farcical at best

kushedy

You are just posting main stream hate articles. For every one you post there is another saying different as demonstrated by Gypseys post.

Yesterday you tried to imply I was being racist to you when I was not. You played the race card because I had valid points & you had no where to turn.
Playing the race card is in itself a racist act. That makes you a racist.

All you have done is this thread is call people liars, racists & post links to main stream articles that have been purposely floated to betray this guy in a way worse light than he deserves. You are a troll & you have an agenda.

So you are a racist troll. You are most likely a Muslim defending the faith.

Last edited:

kushedy

Why doesn't everyone who wants to post in this thread put their cards on the table a state time spent in the UK if any & religion followed if any. Bar beta of course. Don't need anymore explanations regarding his mother's vagina, state line politics.

It's not a race thing it's a logic thing. No one who has never stepped foot in the UK let alone lived here has any right to accuse someone who lives in the UK of lying about their life experiences.

Someone who is a devout Muslim has a conflict of interest with this thread so not declaring their religious belief & stirring the pot intentionally is just a piss take. It's also cowardly. If your posting, in the UK & a Muslim fez up & join the discussion openly. We all know there are moderate & hard line out there (not my terms). Which are you?

Lived in the UK since birth, over 40 years and I am a white atheist who can,t stand religion especially the Abrahamic ones and Tommy Robinson is full of shit and so are you .there that's my cards on the table:biggrin:

Blazeee

Veteran
Lived in the UK since birth, over 40 years and I am a white atheist who can,t stand religion especially the Abrahamic ones and Tommy Robinson is full of shit and so are you .there that's my cards on the table:biggrin:

Also live and born in the UK, dont have any religious beliefs and was just about to post the exact same thing :biggrin:

kushedy

Well thanks for having the balls for being honest (if you are)

kushedy

At best you are just well trained sheep at worst you think you''re a bright spark & just lying through your teeth. That makes you part of the problem either which way

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I was born in a caravan in Chertsey Surrey England, left school at 15 and I have spent a great part of my life travelling thru and living/working in 53 different countries on 5 continents and have explored all of the major religions and met with Shamens, Priests, Imams, Rabbi's, Vicars and Swami's etc and experienced and made friends with many people from many different cultures/nations during my time. Currently I am living in Kingston-Upon-Thames (Greater London).

I quit believing in fairy stories as a child and might call myself a realist. I have no affiliations to any religious or political entities or institutions and never have had except when I was a child and was forced to go to chapel and church. I have never voted because I never saw anyone I would want to vote for that was on a ballot.....ever.

I am currently married to a wonderful Asian lady and have 7 kids from 4 different women over the years, 2 of them from my current wife, one daughter (10 years old), and one son (8 years old)....and I am 58 years old now.

My first home.- Yeah, I was born in a caravan!

picture.php