What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is your trick to edibles?

Gry

http://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction

This has worked out real well for me.
Hats off to Badkittysmiles.
The result is very easy to work with either as a base to add food or drinks.
I sublingual about a piece the size of a BB every few hours and it makes a nice base for dealing with discomforts.

slave2thestove

What about using the sous vide method with olive oil or ghee? Would this preserve the volatile terpenes?
Always use a water bath to decarb but haven't tried infusing the oils with this method. Depending on your vacuum machine you may need to freeze oil or ghee solid before the vacuum or it will suck out the oil. Ziplock brand also makes air tight sous vide bags that you can also try that wouldn't require vacuuming?

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
The Magical Butter Machine is pretty inexpensive @ $150 and it saves a lot of time. (I've had mine 5 years and it has paid for itself)

It does 2 pounds of Coconut Oil in an hour, not counting decarbing. (2 hours for Butter)

Clean up is easy, no water no mess.

Now I have Cancer and ease of use is important to me. I make a couple of pounds per harvest.

Standard recipe 2 ounces of 20% Bud to 2 pounds of Oil or Butter. That's enough for 200 50mg Snickerdoodle CannaCookies:party:

Mine arrived yesterday :headbange $150 seems really reasonable to me. It’s bigger than I expected. This newer model is supposedly self cleaning. Even has a ‘clean’ button on top. (Maybe yours does too) Cannot wait to experiment with this bad boy. Wanna try using some oils.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Good Luck

Good Luck

Mine arrived yesterday :headbange $150 seems really reasonable to me. It’s bigger than I expected. This newer model is supposedly self cleaning. Even has a ‘clean’ button on top. (Maybe yours does too) Cannot wait to experiment with this bad boy. Wanna try using some oils.

Mine does not have a clean button. It's easy and effective. Just decarbing first.

Let us know how your first batch comes out

Peace :woohoo:

brown_thumb

So... that 'bad boy' is gonna heat up all your girls and get them all wet so they release all their goodness. Sounds like my kind of swimming party.

And the self-cleaning is a real plus too. :)

St. Phatty

For cookie edibles ...

mix in a tiny amount of psyllium seed or other roughage type food.

Then the edible can double as a mild laxative :woohoo:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I made up a batch of double whammy cookies. I took a bunch of pictures of the solvent transfer, but somehow I lost them. These have infused sugar as well as infused butter.
picture.php

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so I decided to try something savory. I made up a batch of South of the Border snack mix.

Ingredients
  • 1 oz. Green Dragon
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 packet of Taco Seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • 1 cup mini pretzles
  • 1 cup bite size cheese crackers
  • 8 cups rice cereal
  • 2 tablespoons American cheese powder (optional)
picture.php

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
  2. Transfer Green Dragon to 1 oz. butter.
  3. Melt remaining butter and combine with infused butter.
  4. Add taco seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
  5. Slowly add cereal, peanuts, pretzles, and cheese crackers.
  6. Bake for 1 hour at 250°F, stirring every 15 minutes.
  7. Optionally coat with cheese powder when warm.
  8. Store in an airtight container.
picture.php

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
just made epic brownies holy shit, so good i made second batch of butter with complete shit scraps

hag a huge tub of mixed trim and fans and old yellow and brown fans, didnt have food prsessor so i used a blender and water to gring up all the trim.
turned on crockpot, added a 4 stick 1 pound of butter it was melting. i blended the leaf upwith as little water as possible to get it to blend, then id jam more leaf in and spin againi did this till crock pot was full to brim,id pour water and leaf in crockpot and repeat till loaded full of trim , the water keeps it from burning, it has no drawbacks as i noticed
cooked on low stirring occasionally for 16 hours.
quick cooled it by letting it sit and seperate for 20 minutes , then in the freezer for about hour and a half, pulled up the chunk of butter and poured off the water,
this stuff was crazy epic potent, i ate a huge hunk of butter before making brownies and i was high as shit before they were ready, they were so potent my lady couldnt even drive her car the next morning, ill never waste shitty fan leaves and scraps again, saving for the butter, maybe i make someones day, i wasnt sure about the blender and water but it worked great , and i didnt need a quisanart

apathy.

I only use concentrates in my edibles. I melt the concentrate into coconut oil, then put it in my mix. No decarb before hand. Then I bake whatever I made at no more than 200F until fully cooked. All the edibles ive made this way have kept some of the properties of the original concentrate instead of giving the me the generic heavy edible feel.

The way I have done is the easy fast way, first decarb in the oven for 30 min, then coconut oil in a pan for 1h.

Bought a crockpot some weeks ago, so I will definitely try that next time I'm making coconutoil!

B1gBud

I wanna make some butter cookies infused with THC, is there a way to tell exactly how much MGs of THC I have in each serving?

angelgoob

if the pot is 20% by weight. Then ten grams will equal and 2 grams of THC. That makes 40 edibles with 50mg in them.

anyone else try a long decarb?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
if the pot is 20% by weight. Then ten grams will equal and 2 grams of THC. That makes 40 edibles with 50mg in them.

anyone else try a long decarb?

If only it were that simple. :biggrin:

First, you won't get 100% extraction efficiency. Second, most labs report the THCA value so you have to multiply by .88 to account for the lost carboxyl group during decarboxylation. A more accurate formula is:

((1000*weight*%THCA)*0.88)*efficiency.

With your example of 10 grams with 20% THCA and 75% efficiency.

((1000*10 g*0.20)*0.88)*0.75) = 1320 mg or about 33 mg each of your 40 servings.

This doesn't even begin to take into consideration how bioavailable the extract is or how well mixed it is. This is what makes it so hard to calculate and why commercial edible makers use decarbed distillates. This leads to a more consistent product.

As for decarb, 240°F for 50 minutes is my go to temp/time.

superx

Veteran
I only use concentrates in my edibles. I melt the concentrate into coconut oil, then put it in my mix. No decarb before hand. Then I bake whatever I made at no more than 200F until fully cooked. All the edibles ive made this way have kept some of the properties of the original concentrate instead of giving the me the generic heavy edible feel.

Sounds good to me....

I have one question for you, (daft as it may be) how does one go about melting there concentrate into the coconut oil? i have plenty of bubble lying around, i would normally make butter which turns into a pleasing final product... I like the sounds of melting the bubble in to coconut oil, i might even try this for Easter as i will not be eating chocolate eggs...

If anybody else knows do not be shy and please chime in.....

:ying:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Sounds good to me....

I have one question for you, (daft as it may be) how does one go about melting there concentrate into the coconut oil? i have plenty of bubble lying around, i would normally make butter which turns into a pleasing final product... I like the sounds of melting the bubble in to coconut oil, i might even try this for Easter as i will not be eating chocolate eggs...

If anybody else knows do not be shy and please chime in.....

:ying:

Just treat the coconut oil like butter, it will work just fine.