What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Electricians?

EastCoast710

ok.. i have my grow in the basement. in a rental home.. i cant rewire the entire house for my purpose so i was thinking .. maybe i could literally just run a line to the breaker box take out the breakers for the baseboard heating in the basement.. and just run a breaker and a line for like a 30amp light controller?

anyone have a way to do this easy . and for people who are not electricians lol.

something easy.. i need to run ac's for summer and i upgraded to more lights so i nneed more juice down here.. lol:laughing:

basically i want to run a dryer plug setup off the breaker box in a non permanent setup so if my landlord comes.. i can literally unhook. move tents into spare bedrooms. lock those bedrooms.. and show the rest of the house. ?

O

OG Tree Grower

The easiest way is to run a lead from your main panel to your room and build a sub panel on a board for your whole grow but if your asking this question I suggest you hire someone between grows. There is no easy way. Only the right way when it comes to electrical

eebbnflow

To re purpose a breaker and run a new line shouldn't be a problem . Look at the top of the page , see the electrical sub forum . Keep going , when you come to the fork DO NOT GO RIGHT ! keep left you will then find Rives . Ask him !

Lyfespan

ok so let me get this straight, in your basement there's a subpanel that you would like to use power from, correct?

if so, you have to know what the subpanel is rate for, 100,75,50 amps. next you have to assess how much running load you keep on the subpanel, and what temporary loads you add, ie things that run occasionally. then when you have that you need to see how much your total load you want to run for growing is, add lights,fans,dehueys, and then see if you can even add the new load to the existing one.

EastCoast710

put it this way.. i have 4 breakers.. that say BASEMENT HEAT. i want to pop those 4 out.. pull the wiring out leave it there so it can be hooked back up.. but then run a straight up temporary 50 amp plug so i can use a light controller lol.. id run the wire on the wall ghetto not inside the wall. so that if the landlord wants to come by i can literally just unhook it from the breaker.. and put the 4 others in and be done like 20 minutes

basically. if i could have an electrician. hook up a breaker to the plug.. i could just pick it up at his house and install into the breaker box pretty easily NO?

o and just a headsup. .there is no main shut off on this breaker box.. its fucking WEIRD thats why im like FREAKING OUT lol. like its not labeled properly the entire house is like piggy backing off other rooms in the house.. every light is on a plug also like if u blow a breaker multiple areas in the house go out from 1 single breaker. like this is why im like fuckkkk

and no subpanel at all. i only have a main.. im not trying to run a sub.. just a new line off the main..

Last edited:

bigdad41296

put it this way.. i have 4 breakers.. that say BASEMENT HEAT. i want to pop those 4 out.. pull the wiring out leave it there so it can be hooked back up.. but then run a straight up temporary 50 amp plug so i can use a light controller lol.. id run the wire on the wall ghetto not inside the wall. so that if the landlord wants to come by i can literally just unhook it from the breaker.. and put the 4 others in and be done like 20 minutes

basically. if i could have an electrician. hook up a breaker to the plug.. i could just pick it up at his house and install into the breaker box pretty easily NO?

o and just a headsup. .there is no main shut off on this breaker box.. its fucking WEIRD thats why im like FREAKING OUT lol. like its not labeled properly the entire house is like piggy backing off other rooms in the house.. every light is on a plug also like if u blow a breaker multiple areas in the house go out from 1 single breaker. like this is why im like fuckkkk

and no subpanel at all. i only have a main.. im not trying to run a sub.. just a new line off the main..

I would do it the exact way you just said, pull the wires off the breaker your wanting to use, just make sure you use the right gauge wiring to carry the load at whatever the breaker is rated for. :biggrin:

Easy7

Veteran
The existing breaker and line should be 240 volt. I have a 40amp or maybe it's 30 at 240 that I would love to play with. It was also for baseboard heat. There were 2 1k heaters installed that I pulled. The way it is now I could pull some drywall that is going up and run some lines. If I did that I would likely use a new breaker in that old spot and run fresh gauge.

EastCoast710

see im just confused because.. there is no MAIN BREAKER on this OLD SHIT? its not fuses breakers. but you know how usually there is a top breaker thats the main to shut it off.. well thats not in that spot. lol. its a fucking MESS. literally ill take a picture when i find my camera and toss it up.. like this is fucking RETARDED

do i just add up the amps on each breaker to find out what about how many amps service i have. .because if thats true. there is like 400 amps going to this small house? wat the fuck?

bigdad41296

see im just confused because.. there is no MAIN BREAKER on this OLD SHIT? its not fuses breakers. but you know how usually there is a top breaker thats the main to shut it off.. well thats not in that spot. lol. its a fucking MESS. literally ill take a picture when i find my camera and toss it up.. like this is fucking RETARDED

do i just add up the amps on each breaker to find out what about how many amps service i have. .because if thats true. there is like 400 amps going to this small house? wat the fuck?

Man there has to be a main breaker some where, there other electrical panels in the house? Where ever the main power comes in at there should be a breaker box, and adding all the amps on the breakers won't tell you anything. Most places would have a 100 amp services but most commonly 200 amp service. Even if that box doesn't have a main breaker I would still do it like you said pull one wire at a time and hook up your new line one line at a time. And if you want to see how many amps you are pulling they sell meters that will measure the amperage, just clamp it around one of the hot wires in you box that you are using it it will show you how many Amps you are pulling.

EastCoast710

like i ment main like switch to shut off the shit.. i have to individually go through and shut off EVERY SINGLE FUSE lol ?

it has a 100amp breaker for the house heat? lol.? like im fucking confused as to what the fuck is going on in my breaker box.. it dont look right

bigdad41296

I'm just saying, turn the breaker off that you plan on using.
Then unhook the wires that's on the breaker.
Then hook up your new wire your going to run.
Just be careful because all the shit around it is still hot.

Lyfespan

hold on no main doesnt sound right, but anyways

1. how much equipment do you need to hook up?

2. how much is the panel rated for that you are taking power from?

3. 2 spaces will be need only.

4. we are going to have you wire an outlet rated to run a subpanel for all your grow equipment. this will allow you to unhook things and run, leaving only an outlet on the wall.

5. what country are you in, are there codes for construction? or is this a run what you brung type of built house

RamCTD1027

I'm just saying, turn the breaker off that you plan on using.
Then unhook the wires that's on the breaker.
Then hook up your new wire your going to run.
Just be careful because all the shit around it is still hot.

I would advise against this advice. This is a good way to hurt yourself if you aren't extremely careful.

There has to be a main disconnect somewhere for your panel. Did you check outside near your meter socket?

Pull the cover off your panel and send us a picture. 100 amps for basement heat sounds excessive. There is a chance that 100amp breaker could be the main disconnect for the panel.

Lyfespan

I would advise against this advice. This is a good way to hurt yourself if you aren't extremely careful.

There has to be a main disconnect somewhere for your panel. Did you check outside near your meter socket?

Pull the cover off your panel and send us a picture. 100 amps for basement heat sounds excessive. There is a chance that 100amp breaker could be the main disconnect for the panel.

yes i wasnt going to say anything but, if this house is improperly wired, just pulling wires off could lead to a neutral back feed situation and be blasted by a wire thats normally "safe":tiphat:

please use a voltage alert tester and a multimeter when playing with electricity, test equipment save lives :tiphat:

1kBushes

like i ment main like switch to shut off the shit.. i have to individually go through and shut off EVERY SINGLE FUSE lol ?

it has a 100amp breaker for the house heat? lol.? like im fucking confused as to what the fuck is going on in my breaker box.. it dont look right

Get us a picture. IMO it sounds like your running on an old 100 amp service ? Furnaces don't need wired in to 100 amp breakers...

Easy7

Veteran
The main breaker is likely the 100 watt breaker. It is common to have more breakers totaling more than the main breaker. Most no house runs every single circuit to the max all at once. Just do the math and play smart. Find an electrician that your buds with and figure out what you can do or move.

Lyfespan

The main breaker is likely the 100 watt breaker. It is common to have more breakers totaling more than the main breaker. Most no house runs every single circuit to the max all at once. Just do the math and play smart. Find an electrician that your buds with and figure out what you can do or move.

adding people to the picture is a great way to getting outted or robbed.

if youre going to call an eletrician in, clean house, the circuits will be for some pottery stuff the wife wants to do, need power to a subpanel on a disconnect for running the kilns.

you think making friends that smoke is cool, oh yeah its a cool way to get the wrong kind of attention.

O

OG Tree Grower

East coast, does your 30 amp load box have breakers on it?
Is the 100 amp breaker at the top or bottom of the panel?
You seem pretty determined so I can tell you what to do if you let me know that stuff . But if you have kids in the house you can always get an electrican to build you a mobile sub panel on a 4x4 sheet of plywood with all your grow needs. Pay cash and take it home, will will help you with the final tie In

Personally I do everything like this because you can pull your whole electrical system in 20 mins and there is NO evidence of changing anything, like wise when you move to a new spot, 20 mins and you have the grow wired