What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you use any of the Natural signs for indoor grows?

R

RSN

Hello:
Are there any "Indoor" growers, who use the signs (zodiac-planet phases/moon phases and position/solar noxs) to seed/transplant/ flower/feed/ harvest for your garden.

If you do, would you expand and/or direct me to material.

I use some of these for my outside veg garden but would like to see if it is useful for indoor grows. I believe in them because old folks could use these signs too grow bountiful gardens like it was nothing. And when you ask, they say just by knowing.

-
RSN

shredGnar

I don't have anything to back it up, I just took the advice of others.

However I always plant seeds waxing gibbous. So a day or two after half moon, while the moon is growing. I believe I get stronger plants and better germ rates this way, but that could just be wishful thinking.

I would like to hear about harvesting during certain moon cycles. Sounds cool...

B

Baked Alaskan

Google "Foxfire planting by the signs". Nothing about cannabis but still interesting.

IMO if any one of your environmental aspects are below 75%, anything like this will have little to no effect.

I have a great friend in AK (hey Mark) that swears by taking cuttings by the signs.

Good luck!

R

RSN

I use Blum's farmer's and planter's almanac for outdoors. I know very well of foxfire. Have books and only about 2 hours from college.

I thank for the interest.

Big 49 state, what do you mean cutting. Cloning or grafting?

I know the moon is powerful thing. Its strong enough to create strong tides. Birds, butterflies, and flowers use things like this to determine their life cycle. Question is does a plant in that does not see the sun but see artificial light still fell the effects of moon/planets and solar phases.

-
RSN

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure how well it works (because I'm not doing the extra work for two side by side gardens) but I've been using the Maria Thun planting calendar for seed starting for about 3or4 years now, though I don't practice the remaining portion of biodynamic gardening.

Is this what you are referring to?

Seems to work fairly well as it gives me something to plan with.

Heusinomics

I always plan for seed sprouting Around a full moon!
So that the expected time of the emerging sprout should b a day or two before full.

As if the full moon pulls the sprouts outa the ground.
Seems to help w stubborn seedlings to struggle through the media....

It's prob silly. But Iv heard it from trusted old heads. N I fig it can't hurt.
I put it in the same category as hippy crystals ,spiraled water and talking to plants... Fun but hardly a requirement in modern agg, possibly a bonus tho?...

Good luck w all your fav seeds/grows
Big ups respect and happy growing.

TerpeneDream

It's prob silly. But Iv heard it from trusted old heads. N I fig it can't hurt.
I put it in the same category as hippy crystals ,spiraled water and talking to plants... Fun but hardly a requirement in modern agg, possibly a bonus tho?...

It's Real.

Check out:

Japanese Dr. Emoto

Ted Talks w/ Evan Grant on Cymatics

The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tomkins

Sounds shape sand, plants interpret feelings, etc...

Heusinomics

It's Real.

Check out:

The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tomkins

Sounds shape sand, plants interpret feelings, etc...

That book is such a trip.
At first read(17yrs ago) I thought psycic plants was rediculisly silly.
But as I age I notice things more subtly than before. And do belive that plants are closer to animals in ways we are happy to ignore.

But it's hard to put those ideas into a practice that is proven to "improve" on modern agg w practical plant nutrion exc.

waveguide

Veteran
i recently had a look into this because i have some difficult seeds.. observing nature it's a cinch that moon phases are pertinent to growth, but zodiac i dunno. my level of interest was satisfied by

farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening

where i read..
December 2015
14th-15th Barren days. Fine for clearing, plowing, fertilizing, and killing plant pests.
16th-17th Extra good for cucumbers, peas, cantaloupes, and other vine crops. Plant peppers, sweet corn, tomatoes, and other aboveground crops in southern Florida, California, and Texas.
18th-19th A barren period.
20th-21st Fine for planting beans, peppers, cucumbers, melons, and other aboveground crops where climate is suitable.
22nd-24th Seeds planted now tend to rot in the ground.
25th-26th Start seedbeds and flower gardens. good days for transplanting. Most favorable days for planting beets, onions, turnips, and other root crops where the climate allows.
27th-31st A barren period. Favorable for killing plant pests, cultivating, pr taking a short vacation.

previously i was only aware of the notion of moon phases being pertinent, so i used to pop around a full moon, as heusinomics.. but this information indicates that sowing on days before the full moon is a bad idea. (the days have been erased now but it suggested the days after the new moon are good for germing plants that bear their harvest above ground).

:p beats me, i haven't been paying enough attention. but yeah i've experienced the plant sentients thing for reals. it's hard to have a good relationship with life forms you grow in a shoe box under a cfl because you are desperate for thc.

amanda88

I try to germ/plant by the moon

but I fail miserably

...and when I do fail a particular germ strain

I blame the moon cycles

...thus I need more study in this area

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i do.
it not only helps keep track of where in the cycle the flowers are but i believe the waxing moon draws moisture up from below to the root zone.

i germinate seeds on each new moon and they are usually ready to place into flower after six weeks of veg, so into flower on first of each month.

i believe, but it's more convenience than dogmatic interpretation.

R

RSN

Thanks all for your interest. Why I brought this up was an old outsiders named WolfShadow (Florida swamp grower) used signs but more for outside growing. Really interested in old outsiders; currently reading all of Silverback threads.

I have an indoor garden in bloom and need to either plant seeds this month or next month. I'm shooting for Dec 25th / 26th as the date to plant according to Blum's Almanac.

Will keep you posted.

P.S. to all -Enjoy your family, friends, and the Christ season.

-
RSN

TerpeneDream

So I heard from someone on here that there is an infrared color coming from the sky at night which human eyes can't detect, but is what truly tells plants that it's night and it's time to flower…

So,

As an experiment,

I thought if this infrared light does this, and can help with herming issues…

Then natural moonlight will… SOLVE THE ISSUE OF LIGHT LEEKS AND HERMING!

So I'm ~6 weeks in, light leeks all night every night, and I've seen 0 signs of herming…

Will stay updated...