What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

whats going on here?

Any insight to what is happening here?

Attachments

• C3D300B2-63FD-4F80-9319-3FD6F849BA52.jpg
    C3D300B2-63FD-4F80-9319-3FD6F849BA52.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 34
It was suggested that the strands are from the resin heads braking off their stalk, leaving these strands. I am sceptical of this theory. I’m my 30 years of cultivating cannabis I have never seen this before.

Dankwolf

More then likly mites . you should be able to see small bugs on underside of leafs. It 99.9% sure that it is not heads breaking off .lol
I would be vary carfull taking advice from anyone who said the breaking off thing .

Probably can't fix any flowing plants . but you can get on any plants in veg and rid room of them before you flower again . you possibly have a good amount of work ahead of you.depending on size of your grow. If you can verify that they are mites like I am sure of you will have to clean all rooms surfaces and house /outside of house depending on your piticular situation

There are many threads on mites on icmag that can walk you through solving issue . just hope there not russet mites.

A good start is 1 tablespoon of blue dawn dish soap + neem oil per 2 gallons of water mixed and sprayed on veging plants . lights need to be backed way off for this to work or if you run 18on 6off you,need to spray when light out preferably focusing spray on underside of leafs . you would do spray this for 3 times alternating just water every other day ( soak plants) (cover roots when spraying) . remove old damaged/ infected leafs.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the detailed response Dankwolf. The sticky strand theory was from a fairly reputable source (Bubbleman). I am more than experience diagnosing and treating mite issues, but this looks different from my experience. The strands look to thick for mites, and too thin for resin strands IMO. Maybe a typical spiders silk? I am at a loss for these formations, plants are not mine. I was just intrigued at a formation I didn’t recognize.

Cheers GG

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you checked the plant for spider mites?
That's the first thing I would look for.

I've never seen trich heads explode and leave strands like that.

Another thing that it could possibly be is fungal hyphae.

Pwyll

is it just the photo or are the strands attached to trichomes that have lost their heads? Doesn't look like spider mites. Regular spiders would avoid resin surely.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
is it just the photo or are the strands attached to trichomes that have lost their heads? Doesn't look like spider mites. Regular spiders would avoid resin surely.
I assure you, mites have no issues completely webbing up a trichome dense plant. ;)

MintyMick

I am on board with everyone saying it is mites. After looking at the pic, and then reading the entire post, I would hazard a guess that it is mites. It might just be the beginnings of an infestation so instead of having a bud completely covered in webs, you caught just a few of the little fuckers planning out their domination. I’d say kill it with fire. Or it might just be one spider, helping keep your plant free of pests. Hard to say without more pics.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
does that look like spider mites to you?
Yes, it looks exactly like spider mites I've had in the past (These in particular around 2015, if I remember correctly). Yes, they completely webbed one plant in the corner by harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts