What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Replacing Aquarium Air Pumps in DWC?

bt420

Large disk stones seem to emit nice small bubbles. No doubt. Your air in per hour vs bucket size surely is ENOUGH, but maybe too much? Let us now how they do and what happens with water readings

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Something like this?

Something like this?

picture.php

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
With electolysis you can get a lot of oxygen from the water without the need to pump air in it, I saw a machine doing it and it was working, with the O2 meter and everything. No plants were inside. It was called O2grow.

Never tried myself, so no feedback at all and I would like to hear someone else opinion on electolysis and dwc.

:wave:

I have been experimenting with a O2G 2020. Their www is not helpful. Dennis says to get a DO meter, but then says good ones are > $500 and they are fragile, so no bueno amigos y amigas. Lots of trial and error; in my case mostly error, but...

What I have figured out is it is better used for clones, or plants with a somewhat established root system. Read up on how long O2 stays in suspension at various temperatures and guestimate how long between cycles.

I currently have 3 babies ~ 2" tall with some roots popping out of the net pots into my SWC rez (Shallow Water), as it saves on everything when starting just a few plants

I am combining a 4 air stone pump with sintered discs + my newest invention: I am using a 160 gph pump firing directly into a plastic bottle with holes, inside is a combination of platonic solids and small marbles. It is on a timer ~ 3 minutes/50 minutes.

The intent is to supercharge the water similar to a fast flowing stream or waterfall. Once the plants have an established root system I will replace the air stones with the O2G

hth

bigbadbillybob

Have a look at norres, or an alternative brand diffusers too, smaller bubbles, more surface area, more 02 exchange. you would need a better airpump to run it, something like a 60 litre min one, would run 4 40 litre totes.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The best way to oxygenate a large volume of water without the use of a waterfall or other surface turbulence is to circulate the water with a powerhead that has a Venturi attachment. This would be extremely easy to incorporate into a RDWC or a large, single DWC with lots of volume.

Latest posts

Latest posts