What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exactly WHICH terpenes are colorless, odorless and tasteless?

Thesearch

I have been making carts for some friends and I am curious about 'dilutants'.

There are a zillion people/companies selling concentrate dilutant who claim some 'secret recipe' of terpenes.

I have looked and looked and after looking at the characteristics of about 300 terpenes that are supposed to be in cannabis, I am only finding ONE that claims to be odorless and tasteless.... Dimal H

Searching for information about terpenes shows 1,000,000+ results. Most of them are companies selling dilutant. Sad. I can't find many sites with straight info on terps. And. most terp info sites are focused on the 5 or 10 terps that are prevalent in cannabis.

Anyway, here is one site with some info. If you know any others, I would love to see a link :)

https://www.nipponterpene.co.jp/english/products/terpene_flavor.html

There must be a thousand companies selling concentrate dilutant with a claim of some secret or proprietary blend of flavorless and odorless terpenes. Yet, I can only found ONE terp that claims to be both odorless and flavorless.

Anyone??

Thanks

IMO the only appropriate dilutant for vaping would be cbd/delta-8 thc distillate. Avoid dilutants at all cost. Cannabis has been smoked more regularly with lesser side effects then virtually any other substance known to humanity. I would in fact challenge anyone to find a more benign smoke in existence, and would be fascinated to hear an answer. Without going into too much detail as to the many reasons why this is best, I will give a brief mention to some reasons why adding isolated terpenes to a vape is dangerous:
1. The terpene could be synthetic which means there is likely to be secondary reacted compounds from the synthesization (mystery chemicals).
2. Whether or not it is synthetic it likely had a solvent used with it which possibly azeotroped to some degree or wasnt fully removed and has been found in concentrations high enough to make pens fail state solvent residue testing
3. Some terpenes like myrcene will actually bond to themself in isolated forms creating unintended and potentially dangerous chemicals. (Which is why synthetic myrcene is now considered a potential carcinogen by the fda

are all terpenes equal in regards to how they effect the human body including when applied with heat and drawn into the lungs?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214750016300439

Chemical and biological studies of β-carotene after exposure to Cannabis sativa smoke

The beta carotene in this study is exposed to cannabis smoke absorbed into hexane. This is not what happens in your body when you smoke cannabis while having vitamin a in your system...

I totally have this problem with all dilutants. Eating something is way different than smoking or vaping it. And, so little testing has been done.

It makes me wonder if nature really ever intended us to smoke pot. The Bible speaks of topicals using it and there are many events in ancient history indicating edibles made with cannabis but has there ever been evidence that man smoked pot in ancient times? I wonder.

Smoking just about anything involves a ton of carbon going into your lungs. Can't see any real good in that. Nature doesn't usually direct us to stuff like that.

I have stopped using carts altogether until this all gets hashed out. I mostly vape rosin or flower and now that it's Spring, I enjoy sitting outside and smoking an occasional joint. Albeit, my lungs just won't take smoking of any kind any more. LOL Fucking hate old age. LOL

Interesting article on carotene. I am a big consumer of carotene since I am always starving for A and D. I live in a cave and D is hard to come by. Can never get enough A. Eggs almost every day. Just bought a jar of fish oil. Plan to try that for the first time.

Thanks again for all the input, gang.

Interestingly thc is specifically created by the cannabis plant to avoid over exposure to uv rays, the same spectrum it seems as the one that creates vitamin d in the skin. Also interesting to note is that in order to absorb the vitamin d from uv rays you must first have an adequate amount of vitamin a in your system. Best sources for vitamin a are carrots, sweet potatoes and mangoes as well as raw meats, eggs, unpasteurized milk, cod liver oil and red palm fruit oil. In order to absorb vitamin a, it must bond to a fat source, so eat these foods with a fat source.

As for the bible, the smoking of cannabis and ancient history, Chris Bennet is a great read, but I will try to be succinct; Kaneh Bosm (in singular form Kaneh Bos), translated to mean the fragrant cane/reed/hemp, is mentioned in the bible more then just as an ingredient in the holy annointing oil, it is also referred to as being a "burnt offering" in Jerimiah 6:20 (falsely translated, the actual word is kaneh-bosm, not sweet cane/sweet calamus etc)
The most direct early reference to the smoking of cannabis dates to the 5th century bce, written by the greek historian Herodotus about the Scythians' funeral practice
“The Scythians then take the seed of this hemp and, crawling in under the mats, throw it on the red-hot stones, where it smolders and sends forth such fumes that no Greek vapor-bath could surpass it. The Scythians howl in their joy at the vapor-bath.”
It turns out there is also new evidence of cannabis smoking from 2500 years ago in a burial site on the pamir plateau. National geo just put out an article on it about a year ago.

Clearly all terpenes are not equal when eaten, used in suppositories, rubbed on the skin, or inhaled.

Terpenes also break down and readily change form around 710F, and some of the biproducts are known carcinogens.

The effects burning the terpenes in the concentrations seen in plant material and vaporizing those terpenes in concentration are also different, as the poison is always in the dosage and some of the terpenes will strip paint and sanitize toilet bowls in concentration.

The truth is that there haven't been studies conducted beyond the concentrations used in aroma therapy, and many of the terpenes don't even have MSDS sheets because they have been considered, herbs, spices, and misc flavors.

I told myself that I would quit smoking cannabis when I needed glasses or went crazy, which in my case came in the form of mild COPD, so I switched to dabbing and I'm convinced that making the decision to smoke cannabis, is making the personal decision to at least expose yourself to COPD.

Based on my COPD improving some and not getting worse, I've come to believe using pure unadulterated concentrates with a temperature controlled electric nail is a better option.

Some of the concentrates samples that people give me have terpenes added back or terpenes added, which I would prefer as an adulterant as opposed to dilutants, if some care is given to what those terpenes are, and their content is kept close to the levels normally encountered in plant material.

Terpenes have their own medicinal effects, as well as adding flavor and aroma, but none of the terpenes that add flavor and aroma are particularly smooth to vaporize, so over doing it adds aroma, but at the expense of harshness.

I suspect that time will show that vaporizing and inhaling VG, PG, PEG, MCT, squalane, triethyl citrate, et all, brings with a whole different set of health issues long term.

Pages back GRAS was mentioned, but GRAS is heavily influenced by usage.

For instance, the mineral oil that started this debate is GRAS in food stuff below 5 ppm as a release agent, and you will find Sulfuric Acid on that same list.

I think we can all agree that inhaling either is insalubrious, so its GRAS status is moot.

What is needed, is long term studies in the usage at hand, which we ostensibly won't have for some time.

Thank you Gray Wolf. We need more gaurdians like you to help people stay safe. Thank you for your work on this and opening peoples eyes about the TT situation and dilutants in general.:tiphat:

clearheaded

vitamin E and mineral oil... ie BAD ONES dont dillute as a guess 90% of all terpenes are harmful in concentrated form. so stop smoking terpentine!! there is a reason they kill bugs bacteria. As a general rule of thumb things that kill other animals (even pests) tend to eventually be found to be harmful to humans every 15-20 years this happens that the "safe" stuff isnt actually safe. realize thats a side note but just word to the wise.