What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

True Terpenes VISCOSITY extract liquifier LAB TESTS: Mineral oil but no terps!!

prune

Veteran
https://future4200.com/t/fake-dank-vapes-warning/33861

Currently there seem to be at least three different illnesses, not just one, and looks like multiple causes, not just one. according to the American Lung Association CMO. The FDA and CDC is also syaing they dont know what it is and no single common factor has been identified. from listening to the fda and cdc last week they were not more worried about vit E acetate than other possible causes.
Now most big time newspapers are shying away from pointing at vit E as the cause. they are now being more responsible and listing to the FDA adn CDC and using good science reporting.

no one knows what the causes are yet. and b/c there are deaths its important to avoid bad science reporting.

They had a big problem recently with artificial hips that had been introduced with an all-metal design (earlier models utilized plastic bearings). Seems the micro fragments of metal produced by wear caused serious problems with immune factors and had disastrous results.

Perhaps the oils are ALL irritants, that the metal ions then exacerbate/catalize into a full-blown immunological event?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Yes many things are being added which have no track record of safety for vaping, terpenes and flavors included. Combine cheapest ingredients, cheapest construction, and anonymous, clueless, unaccountable profiteers riding in the wild west - little guys with no political capital causing problems - and expect govt wanting to control a market that's out of control.

Vitamin E in one form or another is commonly added to mineral oil and is probably the easiest component to identify, so there is some question as to what finding the acetate means.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That's just a list of all the crap they are certified to do. Like "manufacturer terpenes, flavor ingredients, and isolates for the food industry." Which I'm not sure what that has to do with selling those ingredients as ingredients for vape juice. Vape juice isn't eaten or drank, it's not a food. What is that even besides a bunch of compliance? Who cares what you comply with, what's in what you are selling for the express purpose of adding to vape juices. I feel like that is supposed to be a bunch of official paperwork certifying them of complying with stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with their job of selling vape ingredients, like when a magician hand waves. Look the factory we assemble our poison in is up to ISO standards and is quality managed assured!

Mr. J

Of course they're going to keep it up until that well runs dry. There are still a bunch of retards who will inhale just about anything as long as the word "terps" is in there somewhere, and they'll pay good money to do it. The terptards.

thailer

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...fficer-who-says-he-fell-ill-after-vaping-thc/

a police officer is sick and is suing several companies in washington. he says it is due to the CCell carts? a friend heard a blip on NPR and there's not too many articles posted yet. it says the FDA doesn't regulate THC products because its not federally legal. i'm thinking this may be the straw that breaks the camels back and we might see it federal sooner than expected? i hope so.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I never thought I'd see the return of the medicine show snake oil days in my lifetime, but here we are.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I never thought I'd see the return of the medicine show snake oil days in my lifetime, but here we are.
Not to be that guy, but we literally never left. I still remember advertisements for HEAD ON. What about Gwynneth Paltrows jade vagina eggs? Heck if people looked into the actual "science" behind chiropracty I think they would be hella surprised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alternative_medicine

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Timing is the essence of all things........ Anon

Attachments

• Tape worms (1).jpg
    Tape worms (1).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 43

clearheaded

vitamin E has a terpene side chain so was likely how they felt ok saying "terpene mix." kinda half truth. Many feel that all terpenes are 100% safe. This of course is not the case smoking alot of concentrated terpenes is prob not best idea. ie vaping terpentine 100% terps. Yes people eat it but they are crazy and irritates your mucasal membranes and makes you poop mucas not parasites, unless you had worms coming out your bumb prior.

Cvh

Supermod
@Future, First off mineral oil, this progressed to Vitamin E and now people are not only getting serious lung injuries but there are also multiple confirmed deaths.
Is there maybe something into your reach you can do about the sale of cutting agents for cart production?

For example, would it be possible to sit around the table with the GLG gang and the other Future4200 members to reach a possible agreement to stop the sale of cutting agents by GLG affiliates?
I have seen myself how even drums filled with Vitamin E and other cutting agents got offered for sale by GLG members.
This might reflect onto the BM vape carts production as well if GLG members at least stop the sale of all these cutting agents.

Now even in the EU there is a witch hunt starting on all things vape related, this is becoming a global media tobacco lobby fueled frenzy.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
@Future, First off mineral oil, this progressed to Vitamin E and now people are not only getting serious lung injuries but there are also multiple confirmed deaths.
Is there maybe something into your reach you can do about the sale of cutting agents for cart production?

For example, would it be possible to sit around the table with the GLG gang and the other Future4200 members to reach a possible agreement to stop the sale of cutting agents by GLG affiliates?
I have seen myself how even drums filled with Vitamin E and other cutting agents got offered for sale by GLG members.
This might reflect onto the BM vape carts production as well if GLG members at least stop the sale of all these cutting agents.

Now even in the EU there is a witch hunt starting on all things vape related, this is becoming a global media tobacco lobby fueled frenzy.

The most recent articles say they dont think Vitamin E is the culprit.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/resear...ulprit-in-vaping-related-ailments-11570050000

Also, NBC tested a bunch of different bootleg carts and every single one of them tested positive for pesticides. Many of them had a cocktail of different pesticides.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vapi...juana-vapes-tainted-hydrogen-cyanide-n1059356

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Anyone have the full text of the WSJ article (I'm not a subscriber).

Here you go

Researchers Say Vitamin E Likely Isn’t the Culprit in Vaping-Related Ailments
Public-health authorities had focused on thickeners; lung damage similar to ‘toxic-fume exposure,’ Mayo Clinic researcher says

Robert Lee HotzOct. 2, 2019 5:00 pm ET

Vaping advocates at a rally in Ohio. A team at Mayo Clinic reported that the lung tissue they examined from victims of vaping-related illnesses suggests the damage could have been caused by inhaling a caustic chemical fume. Photo: Joshua A. Bickel/The Columbus Dispatch/Associated Press
Researchers at the Mayo Clinic have all but ruled out vitamin E oil and other thickeners as the possible culprit in a wave of vaping-related illnesses and deaths, deepening the mystery of what might be at fault.

Instead, the clinic pathology team reported in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday that the lung tissue they examined suggests the damage was more likely caused by inhaling a caustic chemical fume.

“The damage is essentially akin to a chemical burn,” said surgical pathologist Brandon Larsen at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., who led the research team. “It looks like a toxic-fume exposure, like those that occurred in World War I with mustard gas or in an industrial setting with exposure to fumes from a chemical spill.”

Dissecting the Vaping Illness Mystery
Dissecting the Vaping Illness Mystery
Vaping related illnesses are on the rise, and it appears to be related to a black market of THC vapes. WSJ’s Daniela Hernandez sat down with doctors and experts to understand what’s happening with the outbreak.
In all, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention so far has reported 805 lung-injury cases in 46 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands. There have been more than a dozen deaths confirmed in 11 states.

On Tuesday, the New Jersey Department of Health reported the state’s first known vaping-related death. The woman, described only as “beyond college age,” died in August. “This death underscores the potential dangers associated with vaping,” acting state Health Commissioner Judy Persichilli said.

In the new study Wednesday, Dr. Larsen and his colleagues examined lung-biopsy tissue from 17 patients at hospitals around the country, all of whom had been diagnosed with vaping-associated lung injuries. Almost three-quarters of them had vaped using cartridges containing marijuana or cannabis oils, the pathologists said. Two of them died.

Public-health authorities have struggled to discover exactly what is causing some people to sicken when they vape. There are hundreds of bootleg brands, no standards for “vape juice” mixtures and little systematic research into the health effects of inhaling the heated chemical vapors. Heating changes the chemical composition of vaping liquid in unknown ways, experts said.

Earlier this year, researchers at the University of California, Riverside, identified about 400 different models of vaping devices and 8,000 or so chemical flavor names used in various e-cigarette fluids. Some popular refill fluids contained 22 to 47 flavoring chemicals, the researchers reported in Nature Scientific Reports. Many of them can cause cell damage or suppress immune responses, the scientists said.

Thickening oils used to dilute THC, the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, in black-market vaping mixtures had emerged as a prime suspect. Inhaling such oils has long been known to cause an unusual form of pneumonia.

Newsletter Sign-up
In September, the New York State Department of Health issued subpoenas for companies in California, Michigan and Massachusetts that sold vitamin E oil as a thickening agent for vaping pods.

Last month, Dr. Kevin Davidson at WakeMed Hospital in Raleigh, N.C., and colleagues reported on five cases of vaping-related illness, all of which showed traces of the distinctive lipid oils in the lungs during diagnostic tests. “Finding oil within the lung is never normal, and it seems to be a hallmark of this disease,” Dr. Davidson said.

But the Mayo Clinic’s lung-tissue samples, the first to be examined directly under a microscope, showed no sign of oils. “We have not seen any evidence of that in any of our cases,” Dr. Larsen said.

Share Your Thoughts

How has the recent news about lung injuries changed your views on vaping and e-cigarettes? Join the conversation below.

Write to Robert Lee Hotz at sciencejournal@wsj.com

G.O. Joe

Veteran
They don't say that of course these tissues were handled in such a way by everyone that oil would be retained. It's a concern from a quality of science perspective, especially with the reaction their report has caused. Have these people ever worked with this condition before? Are they sure that oils were not washed away?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The FDA now has the GC/MS and Nist scans of TT Viscosity. Time to buy a supply of popcorn and sit back to watch.

Latest posts

Latest posts