What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

h.h.

Veteran
picture.php

Trailer load of manure covered with cardboard, leaves, grass clippings, rabbit bedding.
It comes bagged.
I leave about half of it in the bags. More effective on the leaves and c/lipping than the bedding.

Rico Swazi

Allis, is that you? Looks like a chalmers from here and a nice one
Did you get any implements with it? you are gonna want to get something on the three point when you start using that bucket.
I have a 1977 ford 19hp with loader and tiller. Its been in the local area ever since purchased new by a mill worker friend, sold to his better friend (ahem) in '98 and then to me in 2004.

can't live without it now
cleaned out every stable and barn within a 2 mile radius
wore the piss out of it

Rico Swazi

Microbeman; thank you for the touching and hopefully cathartic post. Adds tremendous value to threads to have such an intimate dialogue. Words fail me but i think you know what I mean.

HOOGLIE can be the official definition of a huglebed/hugelbeet stacked stone enclosure if you want. its yours right there along with no til
biggrin.gif

What do you intend on growing in your hooglie?
Any luck with the chipper or woodchips?
have you ordered roves?
Do I ask a lot of questions? lol

more pics would be nice
enjoy your day :tiphat:

h.h.

Veteran
Allis, is that you? Looks like a chalmers from here and a nice one
Did you get any implements with it? you are gonna want to get something on the three point when you start using that bucket.
I have a 1977 ford 19hp with loader and tiller. Its been in the local area ever since purchased new by a mill worker friend, sold to his better friend (ahem) in '98 and then to me in 2004.

can't live without it now
cleaned out every stable and barn within a 2 mile radius
wore the piss out of it

Photobomb.

It’s almost as old as I am. In better shape though.

Got an old JD mower for it.
Learning about shear pins. Ordered a slip clutch for the PTO. It should help.
Need a loader for the manure piles.
Trying to educate myself on it all. I know very little.
Found a good AllisChalmers forum. Love the internet. So much good and bad advice.

I have a 2 wheel BCS with a rotary plow, rotary harrow, and flail motor for most my work. Yeah I read Fortier. Took his recommendations.

I mow about ten acres. Keep the fire risk low. Getting too old to walk it all.

Rico Swazi

cool stuff h.h. , curious on how the ferments will work for you. You gonna do a control group and put it to the test?
spot on with the good and bad tractor advice on the internet
almost as bad as horticulture

I was out this morn and took this pic
changes pink to blue the closer it gets to the clematis
hydrangea is over 25yrs old, clematis is 12

picture.php

I got a cutting of the mom along side the barn where it will do better than the poppies

picture.php

h.h.

Veteran
The blossoms will be mulch.
I have yucca root in the liquid now.
Trying to use local.

I’ve used other species of yucca in the past and believed it to be beneficial. See my prior post.
This stuff doesn’t have the same saponin content. I’m trying to milk out what it does have.
I figure it should at least be a source of silica, make good aeration material, as well as replace some of the medium. It’s stiff and slow to break down.
For now it will be mulch.
Living mulch?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do you intend on growing in your hooglie?
Any luck with the chipper or woodchips?
have you ordered roves?
Do I ask a lot of questions? lol

more pics would be nice
enjoy your day :tiphat:

I don't know what I might grow if I create a hooglie. Anything-everything.
I have not managed to lease or buy a lot yet for homing a chipper and starting a business. My neighbor [Mexican] and I are working on buying and dividing the lot next door. The owner lives in the city and has fantasies of creating an Airbnb but has no money to fix up the house. I'm also looking all over the local area. I determined not to put a chipper on my small home lot and wreck the peace I now enjoy.

Rove beetles are not available so I tried ordering eretmocerous from Biobest Mexico but after extended song and dance, they would not sell to me because I'm not a registered company. They gave me a number for a retailer but I have such a bad taste in my mouth from the 3 day runaround that I'm going to try Koppert Mexico first. I hate companies like that. What about poor farmers who are not registered companies?

Tractors; My first was a Cockshutt 1855 which was later traded in for a John Deere and a little Massey Ferguson with a Perkins diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__CSSCU9rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Ul75hMaNg

Rico Swazi

I don't know what I might grow if I create a hooglie. Anything-everything.

might I suggest a food forest? one with a hedgerow of native plants to bring in and keep eretmocerus and roves on your property. You can tell the bug dealers to take a hike or F off which ever you prefer

Been working on this one for a couple years, started out much smaller and kept adding to it. I have the humble beginnings somewhere on thumbs if interested. Basically the same rotted wood as I have shown in the past.

picture.php

You can see my dedicated hedgerow in the background which at the very least you should consider for that brick enclosed space of yours.

That is where the hooglie is going right?

edit- this shows the line up better, from left, broccoli to let go to flower, lavender, lemon balm, sunflower, comfrey, salvia, more broc, barely visible self seeded prunella to the right of rosemary. foreground interplantings of cuke, edamame, peppers onions cauliflower a couple headband (pic above) and the toy tractor in the background

picture.php

I don't have too much problem with earwigs these days thanks to yarrow et al.
Wonder if the tachinids got it or perhaps a fungus left by my friends the ANTS
wink.gif
top pic taken yesterday morning, last two pics taken minutes ago, woodchips before and after

picture.php

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was looking for a good compost but most farms in this day and age are big and don't have manure piles anymore. Most have holding tanks for the manure which is mixed with water and sprayed on fields fresh (what a stink). My cousin has a big farm and I asked him about it. He pointed me to a small pile on his property that's been cooking for about 10 years. He's dropping it off at my place! I'm set for top dressing this year and next year's crop. Woot Woot!

It needs Nitrogen because it leaches out with rain so he's mixing in some alfalfa he just cut. :)

h.h.

Veteran
Look on Craigslist.

I found a stall cleaner and offered them a place to dump.
Contact the gardeners for grass clippings and leaves.
Running the risk of herbicides, pesticides and dewormer. Let it sit for awhile. Plant to test.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Look on Craigslist.

I found a stall cleaner and offered them a place to dump.
Contact the gardeners for grass clippings and leaves.
Running the risk of herbicides, pesticides and dewormer. Let it sit for awhile. Plant to test.

Good idea but most horse boarding places use shavings here. if it's hard wood it rots. They used to use straw which is perfect, but not many farmers grow straw here. It's a premium product and those who have it keep it. I used to be able to get it for $10 a bale.

h.h.

Veteran
Smoke what you got.

Yucca root. Adding it to the soil. Decided against using it for mulch. Gnats love it for shelter.
picture.php

Pigs at work. Horse manure and wood chips (rabbit bedding).
picture.php

Hookahhead

Harvesting Bamboo

Harvesting Bamboo

There's is a lot of bamboo growing in the yard. One clump of large ones are growing just outside the fence. Some of them have started to lean into the road for more light. I need to chop a few of them down over the next few days.

picture.php

picture.php

So I decided to drop one today and process it. Luckily the previous owner told me to use the cordless saw instead of the machete on them. They are super tough and woody!
I stripped all of the branches off the main stem. Then I stripped all of the leaves off the branches. The idea is to make a plant ferment out of them. Since bamboo accumulates silica very well, I'm hoping the tea will be high in soluable silica.

picture.php

picture.php

I was originally planning on processing the stems to use as mulch, I cut them up by hand using headge clippers. After I saw how much the volume was reduced, I decided to add it in with the leaves for a more "full plant extract".

picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the confusion is all mine

carry on :tiphat:

Actually I think there was not so much confusion. You were right that I should tell the insect dealer to bug out, to take a fly to not bee so anal. Asking for business registry with the government in this country is self-restrictive in my opinion.

Speaking of bugs I have some Arachnid friends standing guard on my cayenne babies.

picture.php

Hopping spider; I love these little animals

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts