What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I just checked the San Diego weather and it is currently 62 with a low of 42 tonight.

Perhaps I should reconsider the Caribbean where the wife wants to go. I always thought So Cal was warmer than this? Is this unusually cold weather for So Cal or what?

Key West is 84F with a low tonight of 77F. Too bad the Carib has those fucking hurricanes. That is definitely the temps I'm looking for. I never really considered Florida because the humidity makes the heat unbearable. I like it hot but I hate wet. Last Summer most of it was 90F and 95% humidity. Fucking brutal to even ride a bike. Like riding in an oven with a heat gun blowing on you at 60mph. LOL

I'll be out next month to stay in Sana Barbara for a week or 2. If it's too fucking cold.... San Diego... here I come. And, if that doesn't work.... Mexico. LOL

Ringodoggie

Premium user
And, also.... a very Happy New Year to you all and thank you all so much for all this very helpful information.

:)

igrowone

Veteran
it's tough finding the ideal climate
heat and humidity often come together
if california isn't warm enough then south(and east) is arizona
there is the lower colorado river valley, goes down through lake havasu
not saying it's what you want, but the climate map shows it's warm
proceed north to find the sweet spot?

St. Phatty

I just checked the San Diego weather and it is currently 62 with a low of 42 tonight.

Perhaps I should reconsider the Caribbean where the wife wants to go. I always thought So Cal was warmer than this? Is this unusually cold weather for So Cal or what?

Key West is 84F with a low tonight of 77F. Too bad the Carib has those fucking hurricanes. That is definitely the temps I'm looking for. I never really considered Florida because the humidity makes the heat unbearable. I like it hot but I hate wet. Last Summer most of it was 90F and 95% humidity. Fucking brutal to even ride a bike. Like riding in an oven with a heat gun blowing on you at 60mph. LOL

I'll be out next month to stay in Sana Barbara for a week or 2. If it's too fucking cold.... San Diego... here I come. And, if that doesn't work.... Mexico. LOL

How about Puerto Rico ?

There's a financial writer whom I read, John Mauldin. He manages money for rich people, is one himself, and also hosts a financial conference or 2 every year.

He's a lifetime Texan, but they just moved to Puerto Rico to get that winter-time Tropical-ish temperatures.

He's wealthy enough to live anywhere in the world. PR was their choice.

https://mauldineconomics.com/frontlinethoughts/bear-markets-fed-mistakes-and-quick-shots-from-john

Ringodoggie

Premium user
There are few places in this hemisphere as beautiful as the Caribbean.

We are definitely considering the desert. Her Aunt and Uncle lived in Palmdale. Las Vegas might be fun. Although, on the other end of the scale, I have been to Vegas in the Summer and I would not want it that hot. Hot and dry is great but 110 degrees is 110 degrees. And, that's just too fucking hot to play outside.

We are still headed to Santa Barbara first. But, San Diego is running a closer second than ever.

What's it like in the Summertime in Santa Barbara?

Bobby Boucher

San Diego has one of the single most hospitable climates on earth. Something about the way the wind moves in from the ocean keeps the temp and rh extremely stable. I think it rains an average of like 6 times a year, but the humidity remains ~50%.

If its 45 in Chicago, I'm in a T, but if its 60 in SD, I'll need a jacket. Cold is relative. There is just no escaping it unless you live in an oven.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Something else about San Diego..... I don't hear people there complaining about the smoke from the occasional fires in California. Does SD also suffer from smoke during the fire season like Santa Barbara does?

Bobby Boucher

Assumedly the ocean breeze that constantly keeps the excessive humidity moving north/northeast would also keep the smoke up north.

Thats just me assuming, tho.

soil margin

Veteran
Something else about San Diego..... I don't hear people there complaining about the smoke from the occasional fires in California. Does SD also suffer from smoke during the fire season like Santa Barbara does?

Just totally depends on where the fire is, how big it is, what the winds are doing. We got horrible smoke back in the 2003 Cedar fires where it looked cloudy 24/7 you didn't want to even walk outside for a week or two. The recent fires like the ones that happened this year haven't caused any noticeable visible smoke or smell. It can happen though.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang.... what the fuck???

I get messages from my buddy today showing Santa Barbara evacuations and Hwy 1 closed and covered with snow?????

Please tell me it doesn't fucking snow in Santa Barbara. I'm not paying that kind of money to shovel snow.

San Diego is looking better and better. Seems I never hear about mudslides and snow storms and fires and all that other shit from SD.

The Central Coast is beautiful but..... damn.

If they had recreational pot in Florida, I'd be looking real close at the Keys or Naples.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, with all the action going on right now, I am totally re-thinking the Central Coast. I'm not saying that I might not change my mind once I get there but I have changed my landing zone from Santa Barbara to San Diego. At least for the first year or so. I like it warm and the weather in SD looks a lot warmer than SB.

So, now, the grasp for knowledge starts all over again...... where in San Diego do I NOT want to be?

I see real cheap prices in Imperial Beach. Is that a bad area? I am going to try to stay near the beach but what about inland SD County? Looks very pretty way out in Alpine.

I am an aging hippie so I don't prefer the hob nob neighborhoods but I also don't want to live in the hood where I am a victim.

Thanks again and again

Breadwizard

I wouldn't want to be living in IB (imperial beach), it's industrial and kinda sketchy. Inland can be alright, but if you wanted to stick to the coast, clairemont is pretty decent, close to mission bay, post-war kinda ranch style homes. Pacific beach and la jolla are tourist/surf bro zones, but Ocean Beach (OB for short) is quirky and more locals oriented.

If you want a touch further afield, Oceanside and Carlsbad aren't bad, certainly better than east county, which has a reputation (lakeside, santee, el cajon).

Personally I love the central coast though, I grew up around morro bay, and always thought I'd someday return. It's still a bit small town for me currently.

Breadwizard

East county has a reputation for meth, and all sorts of "redneck" stereotypes, some of it earned, others less so. It gets far too hot out there in my opinion, the ocean breeze doesn't penetrate that far east.

Santa Barbara is just about "perfect" weather if you ask me, stays between 65-85 all year, great beaches, etc.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
san diego is full of great places to live from the mountains to the desert butIB is not the beach area you want to live in
while the prices are a lot cheaper than any other coastal community ib is funky and gross
the area is constantly inundated by the run off from the tijuanna river and the pollution is really bad
east county isnt that bad but like breadwiz' said it gets hot and there is a lot of meth
/plus the petty crime associated with heavy tweaker/ homeless populations
the thing about most of san diego is that you are never more than 15-20m away from the beach in most areas
anything west of the 15 is just about coastal
living west of the 5 is lux

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

Just road trip it through san diego county and see for yourself where you think you would best fit in best.

All of the meth heads and dope fiends I came across in my travels there came from the wealthy gated communities. There are a lot of them. It is a bit different. Snakes and lions too. Carrying a little girly pistol isn't the worst idea.

Still, you can't beat the weather.