What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any advantage in 10'' over 6'' bucket lid/net pots?

phattybudz

Right now I am using 6'' bucket lid/net pots, but I saw 10'' bucket lid/net pots and I am wondering if there is any advantage to having the bigger size? Can anybody shed light on this? I like not having to use a lot of hydroton but if it will improve my harvest then I'm all for it...(for DWC in 5-gallon buckets...)

6''
http://www.pchydro.com/grow-systems-pots-containers-c-14_73/net-pot-bucket-lid-6-inch-p-2380

vs.

10''
http://www.pchydro.com/grow-systems-pots-containers-c-14_73/net-pot-bucket-lid-10-inch-p-1931

Shafto

I've seen others say it makes no difference, but I'm curious myself. It's always hard to tell with these things because there are so many other variables.

Logic tells me it should make no difference unless there were so many roots that you were running out of netpot holes. I guess going bigger can't hurt though.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I use the 6, and they will grow plants up to a half pound just fine, I have used 8 and 10 inch net pots before, and see no advantage to using them. But perhaps Hydrosun has seen something I have not, we each have our own style and understanding.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I use the 6, and they will grow plants up to a half pound just fine, I have used 8 and 10 inch net pots before, and see no advantage to using them. But perhaps Hydrosun has seen something I have not, we each have our own style and understanding.

My observation is that trunk size is bigger in the larger net pots every time. I believe that the greater area for the plant to claw its roots into the better. Plants are proportional and the fatter around you get the trunk the more flowers the plant produces.

picture.php

picture.php

I also think larger net pots helps the plants deal with heat better.

:joint:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
That is some nasty looking algea and mold, damn, makes me queasy looking at it. I ain't got nothing in my grows that look that bad, even the stuff in my trash looks better than that. Damn, do you wash that shit between crops?

I agree that bigger roots is the way to go, and if that is what works for you, that's cool, but I do not agree with your conclusion. HEalth and veg time make the difference that I see, and I have grown the same gals in all sizes of net pots, it is a factor, but not a critical one for me in my style. Not sayin I'm right, just sayin what I have seen.
H

phattybudz

Ok well I'm using 6" this run, ordered 10" to start my next run in because they were basically the same price, I will try both in the next 2 runs and see if I notice a difference :)

Thanks for the input guys!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
That is some nasty looking algea and mold, damn, makes me queasy looking at it. I ain't got nothing in my grows that look that bad, even the stuff in my trash looks better than that. Damn, do you wash that shit between crops?

I agree that bigger roots is the way to go, and if that is what works for you, that's cool, but I do not agree with your conclusion. HEalth and veg time make the difference that I see, and I have grown the same gals in all sizes of net pots, it is a factor, but not a critical one for me in my style. Not sayin I'm right, just sayin what I have seen.
H

Too bad for you because here is the plant, 5 gallon water jug and tape measure for scale.

picture.php

picture.php

I don't smoke the stalk or net pot so if the plant doesn't mind the algae or salt why should I?

You show me a 16oz kush grown in a 6 or 8" and maybe I'd reconsider; however it is not possible to get the trunks in the smaller net pots.

Side by side the 10" kill the other smaller net pots. If it didn't matter at all why not go with even smaller 4" or 3" as used in some AERO systems? Biological organisms are proportional you can't raise large carp in a goldfish bowl, but with a pond your fish can get huge.

You don't have to believe it makes a difference, I'll keep on paying to fill the 10" net pots and you do your thing.

D

DHF

What I`ve seen over the yrs is that larger rootmasses create larger plants with more yields......period...

That`s why I always used 5 gal buckets inside 5 gal buckets with my setups.......

Not a doubt in my mind that 10" netpots will provide more UPPER growth as well as lower rootmass in both containers for more foliage/budmass above once stretch is all said and done and swellage begins............

No offense Haps , but gotta pull from what I`ve observed over the yrs in my fast hydro setups.........and for the record..I`ve seen that green algae shit in clear tubes for yrs and yrs without adverse effects ....Go check Blunt 69`s SWC he`s been runnin forever with algae from Hell along with massive yields time after time.......

The biggest netpot is the 10 for a 5 gal bucket........Need I say more ?.....but ......yas gotta veg long enoughta get full lower container rootmass in the bottom buckets for max dialage once stretch is over and no more roots are being built........

Peace.......DHF...

mule420

The root mass is in the bucket. The tap root is in the bucket. It makes no difference... It's like growing around or in rocks when it comes to nature when a plants roots need to find water they will...

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
10 inch will provide more stability but, 6 inch should provide greater growth. The point of DWC is air to the upper roots. That's why we use an airgap. The sooner they get out of the netpot, the sooner they have access to unrestricted, fresh O2.

Shafto

Heath uses no air gap, that was enough for me to do the same thing. The roots just seem to rope up in the air zone and become useless from the pics he posted.

The stalks on my girls right now are thicker, or at least the same size as than the one posted my hyrdrosun, and they're in 6" nets. Why and how would the net pot contrict the stalk? Not happening to me.

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
I'm in the same boat I have small netpots and was told to go bigger and after this thread I think I'll conduct a test in my 4 bucket rdwc.

I'm thinking I have 4 spots for 4 different size net pots,I'll try the 4" I have in there now a 6" a 8" and a 10" to see what the difference is,

It should be a good side by side because all 4 plants will be in the exact same conditions in the same exact nute mix under the same 1000hps.

What do you guys think? Can I smash all these accusations of bigger gets more yield?
Sound

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
My tidal systems do run like dwc, and I do not see the 10 inch as a big factor, and I used big 10 inch pond baskets for a couple years. I have never run drip, nor big buckets of hydroton, both concepts are problems, as the picture above shows. I will agree that bigger can help with stability, just like lava rock is more stable than hydroton.

I will leave the conversation, cause my experience is with different systems, but at least clean that drip ring up between crops, eh? Just because you can run dirty, does not mean you should.

gardenbug

If we are talking about dwc (we are right?) then I don't see it making a difference. I've used 6" before.
I run with no medium or net pot now, just free hanging roots and it fills a 5 gal bucket up just fine.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Here's a 5" pot, stalk was an inch thick or more. Had to use a tree loper to cut it. While bigger roots make a bigger plant, in DWC, bigger roots come from a bigger tub.

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
Too bad for you because here is the plant, 5 gallon water jug and tape measure for scale.

picture.php

picture.php

I don't smoke the stalk or net pot so if the plant doesn't mind the algae or salt why should I?

You show me a 16oz kush grown in a 6 or 8" and maybe I'd reconsider; however it is not possible to get the trunks in the smaller net pots.

Side by side the 10" kill the other smaller net pots. If it didn't matter at all why not go with even smaller 4" or 3" as used in some AERO systems? Biological organisms are proportional you can't raise large carp in a goldfish bowl, but with a pond your fish can get huge.

You don't have to believe it makes a difference, I'll keep on paying to fill the 10" net pots and you do your thing.

Man those look so dank,I'm glad normal and you smoke the buds and not the rockwool/hydroton.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
If we are talking about dwc (we are right?) then I don't see it making a difference. I've used 6" before.
I run with no medium or net pot now, just free hanging roots and it fills a 5 gal bucket up just fine.

Could you show us a photo of your 5gal buckets? I don't understand what the base of the plant would look like with out a net pot, how is the plants weight supported?

Latest posts

Latest posts