What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help me pick my first closed loop setup.

So I've got around 3k to spend on a turn key setup. I know it's not a lot but it looks like I can get into a .9cu ft 9 tray oven and a 1lb apollo top fill closed loop with dewaxing sleeve, splatter platter, site glass and 50# of butane from best value vacs. I've got no O chem background but I've got a high technical aptitude, patients and have mastered processes much more complex than this in life so I'm confident. I've also got a few experienced guys locally who will come walk me through my first run.

So if you had 3k what would you get? What would be the next upgrade you would purchase if you were to buy the setup I'm looking at? Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 5.12.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 5.12.41 PM.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 18

BlueOrganics

It looks like what you have priced out there does not include everything you need to run that system.
I would call Terpp Extractors and talk to somebody at there office. Tell them what your looking for and your budget and they should be able to set you up.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Your close but still needs hoses and a recovery tank (them tanks are not refillable) and more accessories, coolers etc if I were u id save up more money....
Ask yourself these ?s
How much are u gonna process
What product and how much of it do u want to make
How often
How much time u have
U could save a grip and learn a lot by building ur own from parts, probably build that 1600 machine for well under 1k,

I knew I needed hoses and coolers, I didn't know I needed a recovery tank I thought all of those were reusable. All the weed sites seem to just bunch in bho with all concentrates and nobody has a section about system design I've seen. if such a site exists and it's not allowed to post it publically please pm me I'm dying for a great source that would make me feel confident after research to part together my own system.

I've got no problem dedicating hours to research I just can't seem to find an efficient source for this topic.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
$3K is a tight budget. I note you've chosen a passive extractor from BVV and their most direct competitor would be Terpp Extractors. I've tested equipment from both companies and they both work, so suggest that you first check what they are offering as standard equipment and what is optional.

https://terppextractors.com/collections/extractors/products/cls-mini-terpenator-turn-key-setup

You can build your own such as at:https://web.archive.org/web/2016022...h.com/passive-butane-extractor-and-reclaimer/

If you are going to be operating in a certified and licensed lab, you will need equipment certified to ASME Section VIII. Both companies offer certified equipment, but the passive extractor you've chosen does not appear to be.

You will also need hoses, inch pound torque wrench, a can tapper if you plan to use cans, a refrigerant scale, a controlled temperature hot water bath with circulation, infrared thermometer, and a good vacuum gauge.

For optimal product, you will need a means to subzero your LPG before injection.

Consider upgrading to a certified Mk III, which will run either passively or actively, and could be upgraded later with a recovery pump. If you add a pump, you will also need a post pump heat exchanger.

Purchase price is a one time thing, so consider which company will provide you the best customer support now and down the road. I would call and ask what they can provide.

$3K is a tight budget. I note you've chosen a passive extractor from BVV and their most direct competitor would be Terpp Extractors. I've tested equipment from both companies and they both work, so suggest that you first check what they are offering as standard equipment and what is optional.

https://terppextractors.com/collections/extractors/products/cls-mini-terpenator-turn-key-setup

You can build your own such as at:https://web.archive.org/web/2016022...h.com/passive-butane-extractor-and-reclaimer/

If you are going to be operating in a certified and licensed lab, you will need equipment certified to ASME Section VIII. Both companies offer certified equipment, but the passive extractor you've chosen does not appear to be.

You will also need hoses, inch pound torque wrench, a can tapper if you plan to use cans, a refrigerant scale, a controlled temperature hot water bath with circulation, infrared thermometer, and a good vacuum gauge.

For optimal product, you will need a means to subzero your LPG before injection.

Consider upgrading to a certified Mk III, which will run either passively or actively, and could be upgraded later with a recovery pump. If you add a pump, you will also need a post pump heat exchanger.

Purchase price is a one time thing, so consider which company will provide you the best customer support now and down the road. I would call and ask what they can provide.

THANK YOU! You are the person I was hoping would respond obviously but I wasn't going to nag you. You made a great point about customer service. I've called BVV twice ready to purchase if a sales rep was available to walk me through my options and ensure I had everything I needed and yet I got voicemail and no return calls. Time to call Terp Extractors today.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THANK YOU! You are the person I was hoping would respond obviously but I wasn't going to nag you. You made a great point about customer service. I've called BVV twice ready to purchase if a sales rep was available to walk me through my options and ensure I had everything I needed and yet I got voicemail and no return calls. Time to call Terp Extractors today.

You're welcome! I held back to give champions of other extractors a chance to share their opinions.