What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sock filter assembly

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Requests for sock filters come up regularly and alas, there doesn't appear to be a ready source of the stainless canisters required to house them in our assemblies, soooo I drew this one to share.

It uses 1 micron 4" X 8" polyester felt sock filters readily available from Duda Diesel, and doesn't violate any existing IP that I'm aware of.

The filter is clamped to the drilled and tapped lid, using a custom retaining ring, and all the rest of the assembly is off the shelf. The lid and ring are the only manufactured parts.

We could also attach a cooling coil with insulated jacket, which I show in the last schematic.

Bags at: https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=+filter++bag++polyester

Attachments

• Sock filter assembly.jpg
    Sock filter assembly.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Zipsort

4x8 sock? Do you mean 4x48? Also why not just zip tie or tie off the top of the sock instead of using custom lid mounts?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
4x8 sock? Do you mean 4x48? Also why not just zip tie or tie off the top of the sock instead of using custom lid mounts?

No, I mean 4" X 8". The socks come with a ring or lip seal, not a string tie at the top. Consider the effects of back pressure.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess I'm confused.. whats an 8 inch sock gonna do?

What MS said. Quickly and reliably filter down to 1 micron without blinding, for things like inline dewax.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't understand, how does backpressure effect the sock?

As the filter blinds, the internal pressure builds. Like putting a rubber on a garden hose and turning it on, the sock will try to escape the pressure, so needs to be adequately restrained.

Last edited:

gardenlover

Thank you Gray Wolf for submitting so much great research and data over the years! I am sure you have helps 1000's of people! Anyway my question regarding the sock filter is, would you want to de wax the solution before sending it to the sock so that the fats are already precipitated out? but then would the fats clog the lines leading to the sock filter assembly? If we used the design pictured last in you diagram would it miss separating out some of the fats if the sock is suspended and some of the warm solvent passes through it before it has a chance to precipitate out? I truly don't know and am trying to design or copy a better filtration setup for myself bc i have been unimpressed with what i have.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you Gray Wolf for submitting so much great research and data over the years! I am sure you have helps 1000's of people! Anyway my question regarding the sock filter is, would you want to de wax the solution before sending it to the sock so that the fats are already precipitated out? but then would the fats clog the lines leading to the sock filter assembly? If we used the design pictured last in you diagram would it miss separating out some of the fats if the sock is suspended and some of the warm solvent passes through it before it has a chance to precipitate out? I truly don't know and am trying to design or copy a better filtration setup for myself bc i have been unimpressed with what i have.

The solution needs to refrigerate long enough, at low enough temperature, so that the fats and waxes precipitate out of solution, before passing them through the sock filter.

We use a 2" inlet to the sock filter, which thus far has never been a clogging issue.

No issues with waxes warming up and passing through the 1 micron filter, no clogging issues, nothing leaking past, and fast.

gardenlover

Thank you gray wolf! A simple answer that makes perfect sense, I just needed the affirmation of a pro like yourself. So now it makes sense why I see people separating their filter assembly from the chiller. I have followed your post for years now and have been reading multiple threads about the sock filter and have ordered one a while ago to figure out how to make a proper filtration device/ triclamp sleeve. I know you have suggested a extraction manufacture or two who are trying to create a custom housing, but it seams like they might be lacking in design and or service for a fast delivery. But i have since found a bunch of Pre made housings for different sized bag filters. It is my understanding that the come in roughly 4 different sizes #1 7"x16" size #2 7"x32" size #3 4"x7" Size#4 4"x16" and x100 6"x20" and they also come with the carbon steel ring sewn in or an older style with a plastic ring that i would think would be a better choice for sealing in. Info details are at this link
https://www.filterbag.com/Filter-Bag-Sizes-18.html

You said you used the 4"x8", what volume of solvent do you usually use per run? I will be using about 20 to 25#'s of solvent each run and would think that the smallest filter reasonable would be best so as to reduce the residual amount of solvent that is left saturating the bag....Again thank you for your endless contributions to all of use who are not as intellectually inclined such as your self.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is an interesting site!! Use the Link won't open? trick in my ICMAG Signature to get to the full display of the website.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you gray wolf! A simple answer that makes perfect sense, I just needed the affirmation of a pro like yourself. So now it makes sense why I see people separating their filter assembly from the chiller. I have followed your post for years now and have been reading multiple threads about the sock filter and have ordered one a while ago to figure out how to make a proper filtration device/ triclamp sleeve. I know you have suggested a extraction manufacture or two who are trying to create a custom housing, but it seams like they might be lacking in design and or service for a fast delivery. But i have since found a bunch of Pre made housings for different sized bag filters. It is my understanding that the come in roughly 4 different sizes #1 7"x16" size #2 7"x32" size #3 4"x7" Size#4 4"x16" and x100 6"x20" and they also come with the carbon steel ring sewn in or an older style with a plastic ring that i would think would be a better choice for sealing in. Info details are at this link
https://www.filterbag.com/Filter-Bag-Sizes-18.html

You said you used the 4"x8", what volume of solvent do you usually use per run? I will be using about 20 to 25#'s of solvent each run and would think that the smallest filter reasonable would be best so as to reduce the residual amount of solvent that is left saturating the bag....Again thank you for your endless contributions to all of use who are not as intellectually inclined such as your self.

Thanks for the good thoughts!

About 24 lbs LPG per run using a Mk IVC.

irishf0x

Check out Harrington Plastics for filter/housing assemblies. They have a lot of goodies in the lenticular and filter plate sections too.