What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

commercial guerilla growing for a living..?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Dude....I was you thirty plus years ago.

You can do both. If you keep your priorities straight.

Get your schooling done. That...even if you never use it...but you will...at least gives you something to fall back on. Next year, find corners to cut....you already have one spot you know paid off. Replant that. If you have the time, find another. But school comes first.

Then, after you graduate, go crazy, see if you have what it takes.

Cream rises to the top. Great weed will always be in demand....even in a flooded market. None of us know what will happen down the road....Will it ever be legal? What the market will look like ...then. Don't worry about it.

You pulled two lbs. dude...good for you. Great job. Seriously.

But it ain't always like that. In your calculations...there are some abstract numbers your not seeing....Yet.

That's not real life. Your young and a tad bit nieve.

I kinda envy you.

What ever path you choose. Good luck.

this guy is on the money. do both. if the outdoor fucks up, you will still have your education and visa versa. be smart and leave
yourself other options etc.

RB56

Veteran
You'd be putting yourself at the top of a rollover pyramid made up of people you don't even know yet. Sure they'll look out for you though.

Trippy Stix

You can do both. If you keep your priorities straight.

Get your schooling done. That...even if you never use it...but you will...at least gives you something to fall back on. Next year, find corners to cut....you already have one spot you know paid off. Replant that. If you have the time, find another. But school comes first.

Then, after you graduate, go crazy, see if you have what it takes.

Cream rises to the top. Great weed will always be in demand....even in a flooded market. None of us know what will happen down the road....Will it ever be legal? What the market will look like ...then. Don't worry about it.

You pulled two lbs. dude...good for you. Great job. Seriously.

But it ain't always like that. In your calculations...there are some abstract numbers your not seeing....Yet.

That's not real life. Your young and a tad bit nieve.

I kinda envy you.

What ever path you choose. Good luck.

words of wisdom... if America shut down tomorrow weed would be one of the top things in value to trade or bargain, never should It lose it's value completely unless fully legalized and then taken over by millionaires with factories...

You'd be putting yourself at the top of a rollover pyramid made up of people you don't even know yet. Sure they'll look out for you though.

elaborate please? I don't understand...

festerous

Veteran
Hauling literal tons of soil and amendments miles into remote areas while covertly dodging watchful eyes will definitely give you the Xfactor.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
If you're worried about your degree getting you a job. You should be. You'll need a masters after your business degree for it to mean much. You could always tack on an accounting degree and go for your CPA. There is only going to be more and more accounting work as taxes increase and businesses and individuals have to deal with new and changing healthcare laws.

Really want to have a locked down job? Switch, right now, to pre-med and then just continue for a couple more years in grad school . If you can become an RN you will have multiple job offers out of school and be able to work anywhere. Only problem, drug testing when things go missing sometimes.

You might want to re-think some things. Someone mentioned doing indoor to supplement your guerrilla grow income, and you said you don't know the protocols. Well you're here on ICmag aren't you? Read and learn. If you want to start plants indoors, you'll need to at least have a basic veg room set up. you might want to keep mothers and run clones so you can continuously put out plants. Think 50 per week for 8 weeks. Spreads out the work and uses less light at once than doing 200 at a time would. You could even run photoperiod sensitive plants, veg clones inside for 4 weeks or so at 24/0, and then shift them outside, shocking them into flowering, and staggering your harvests.

Keep in mind, you're not going to master it right away. You'll want to experiment with drying techniques, harvesting, pruning, spacing, hole size, nutrient, etc. One of the benefits of running a lot of plants is that you can have a 'safety' group, that has known and proven variables, and then a few test groups that have some factors changed up so you know what to do more of the next season. Many oldtimer guerrilla growers I've spoken with also have a habit of breeding their own seed stock in order to produce new seeds every year producing plants that are better acclimatized to the area over time.

Trippy Stix

Hauling literal tons of soil and amendments miles into remote areas while covertly dodging watchful eyes will definitely give you the Xfactor.
adrenaline junky, this season was just a eye opener on life in actuality for some reason... maybe it's my calling...

If you're worried about your degree getting you a job. You should be. You'll need a masters after your business degree for it to mean much. You could always tack on an accounting degree and go for your CPA. There is only going to be more and more accounting work as taxes increase and businesses and individuals have to deal with new and changing healthcare laws.

Really want to have a locked down job? Switch, right now, to pre-med and then just continue for a couple more years in grad school . If you can become an RN you will have multiple job offers out of school and be able to work anywhere. Only problem, drug testing when things go missing sometimes.

You might want to re-think some things. Someone mentioned doing indoor to supplement your guerrilla grow income, and you said you don't know the protocols. Well you're here on ICmag aren't you? Read and learn. If you want to start plants indoors, you'll need to at least have a basic veg room set up. you might want to keep mothers and run clones so you can continuously put out plants. Think 50 per week for 8 weeks. Spreads out the work and uses less light at once than doing 200 at a time would. You could even run photoperiod sensitive plants, veg clones inside for 4 weeks or so at 24/0, and then shift them outside, shocking them into flowering, and staggering your harvests.

Keep in mind, you're not going to master it right away. You'll want to experiment with drying techniques, harvesting, pruning, spacing, hole size, nutrient, etc. One of the benefits of running a lot of plants is that you can have a 'safety' group, that has known and proven variables, and then a few test groups that have some factors changed up so you know what to do more of the next season. Many oldtimer guerrilla growers I've spoken with also have a habit of breeding their own seed stock in order to produce new seeds every year producing plants that are better acclimatized to the area over time.

I really appreciate the extensive advice, before posting this I was going to do so on another site. after reading all answers I really am surprised how much old time wisdom is lurking and happy I did so here. but my honest question is... how much does a profitable indoor setup cost? meaning to get my completely private owned place with nobody else and a big enough setup to make good profit every 2-3 months on a 10,000$ limit... I already have my own place at school but sure isn't capable of pulling out harvests.. I would think I have to get at least 3-4 big lamps, cost of electric until I can starting turning profit to keep paying for the place? just really paranoid when it comes to my name being attached to the place .. but in all honestly I feel I am screwing myself over for the long run.....paying for school for a few more years not having a clue what i'm going to do, then grad school to make it even worth anything? then having school loan debt for years upon years after grad..hell no probably not... while I could possibly drop-out now, keep a normal scale job also while keeping a full outdoor operation going and possibly indoor start and finish somewhere just for the winter season? sorry if I seem to spill all of this out, mid life crisis?

RB56

Veteran
elaborate please? I don't understand...
A cause or other people's lives may be worth sacrificing your life or freedom. money never is, in my opinion. You will need to have people to sell 50 pounds. Each one of those people is more interested in maintaining their own life and freedom than they are in preserving yours. Worse still, they are likely to be offered the opportunity to trade yours for theirs.

That doesn't mean the path you are on makes any sense either. The standard advice to someone contemplating quitting college used to be that you may as well stay in school and get your degree and then pursue your dreams. That made sense when it was possible to put yourself through school while working 20 hours a week and borrowing a few thousand dollars. That really doesn't make sense now that people are finishing with crushing debt loads.

You suggested you are failing at school because of the demands of your 2 pound harvest. College ain't that hard. I'm not sure you have a clear idea of what it will take to increase your harvest by 25 times. Not just the additional labor and expense, but depending on the harvest to sustain your life is way different than growing a few plants on a lark.

Everybody thinks the hobby they love would make a fantastic career. The vast majority of those who make the transition are disappointed. OTOH, I've followed my dreams into 3 careers and it's worked out well. The biggest difference is that none of them carried the risk of getting locked up.

You are probably considering this a high risk/high gain proposition. The high gain side of the equation is almost certainly much more tenuous than you are imagining. Your evaluation of the potential risk is much more important. If you are thinking that you'll "jest get a few years" if you get caught, you are falling into the young man's trap. A few years in prison will look completely different once it's over than it did from this side. Crushing student loans will seem trivial in comparison.

Final point. Guerrilla growing is stealing. It has nothing to do with resisting unjust laws or anything else that can be put in a positive light. All of this means that there may be a decent payoff but you will never be able to justify your work to an honest person and will always be looking over your shoulder. Horrible way to live.

gobbler3447

Fifty+ lbs.= $$$$$$$$$. I think thats all you see. If you are "nickle and diming" your grow, you are caught already. One grower + one buyer can be done. Four daughters, two BS degrees and 2 PHD's, took alot more than 50 lbs. thats when my dearest friend shut down his operation, I was his only trimmer, ?????? was his only customer, a great ride for years. All indoor, His property, locked gates, underground, generating his own power. The only way to go. Get some smarts, make a long term plan, in 5 - 10 years you may pull it off.

idiit

Veteran
Originally Posted by oldhaole View Post

^ me too.

here's how it worked out:

i'm in the game with some really good outdoor landrace genetics. i've got 30+ years of experience under my belt. it was a very tough go. you need a "day job" paycheck of some type coming in. this could be middle man on other ppls products until you get your grow program solidified.

i love what i do. it's not work if you love what you do.

if legalization sweeps the law books in different regions the game will change significantly.

eventually get your own grow space. guerrilla is an entry point in my opinion.

idiit

Veteran
But 30 years ago it was a different game than it is today....far, far different.
\

^ so true.

If you get a Felony your "degree" is useless.

^ yes, within the "system". cannabis is big big business. with all the taxes, bullshit to deal with in the system being outside the box definitely has it's +pluses. i've got a business degree from the number 1 biz college in america at the time i went thru business school. i was sickened by the one dimensional "mind think" i perceived most business majors to suffer under. i had a lot of social science classes in addition to my business classes. i use the training i received in business school and the social science perspectives every day in my canna ventures as well as day to day life experiences. real life experiences for me were/are by far the most valuable teaching lessons. my cognitive structures benefited greatly from being exposed to a first rate college experience. meditational yoga has really helped clear up the muddled thinking the system academics imposed on us. so, a lot of influences pulled together by my cognition and yoga influence is helping out a lot.

if you go into a canna venture on your own the business training can be very valuable. being your own boss is good.

A

AlterEgo860

sorry bro.. but nowere in the US.. does outdoors go for 4k a lb.. and wen people want outdoors and buy WEIGHT. ur looking at between 1500-3k a lb.. MAX unless ur runnin the most amazing strains outdoors that can pass off as indoors.. but when u harvest 50 lbs.. and need to trim 50 LBS .. u trim fast.. and it comes out like OUTDOORS.. so.. really min of 75k and max of id say 150k.. off a season.. but more then likely.. ulll realize that the work is REALLY TOUGH.. the soil an everything costs alot to grow GOOD OUTS,.

i did the math last year.. to grow trees.. u need 100gallons of soil per plant unless ur going to mix with native soil. then atleast id say 50 gallons. wen i did the math out. i was spending 30 bucks a bail .. and needed at the least . a bail per plant. then ewc and perlite and everything for a nice soil mix.. so.. if ud do it the RIGHT way and shit.. ya it can make money.. but u arent gooing to be pulling a 50LB harvest by urself.. with just ur GF helping u.. lol.. sorry brotha.. u need another man that can lift 60-100 lbs at a time.

i wish u the best..and good luck. post ur pics.. but the work needed to do a nice huge yielding grow.. is alot of work .. and to do GUERILLA is tougher.. cuz u cant be spoted in our out. and getting all the soil and shit there is abitch. i mean shit im already getting my soil ready for next year.. and already getting my spots ready for next year right now.. only because i thought i could do it the year of.. and made the mistake.. and got 2 spots ripped.. 1 spot eaten by some animals. and i have 2 spots left. 1 not even close to being done.. and the ohter mite yield something..

its all about soil. genetics.. and a shit load of hard work .

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
You'll need to grow indoors for income, and live like a raccoon or possum on the weekends.
Totally avoiding roadside traffic of any kind.
Once dropped off late at 3am, with all supplies needed to do 40 plants a weekend for 5 weekends in a row, to prep all the spots for "200 plants minimum", you'll need to carry it all to the spots yourself (assuming you have the spots scouted and marked out already),
then spend the entire weekend working hard.
Camp there by yourself in an extremely hidden camo tent. NO CAMP FIRES!!!!!!
Bring food you dont need to cook!!!
Wear camo. Stay hidden. Have a cover story and evidence to back it up incase you get caught. Stay hydrated. Good luck!!!!
Ide stay in school. Stop smoking so damn much and start studying dude.
I wish I had an education. Theres not alot of money in a guerilla grow and theres to many things that can go wrong to invest that much into it unless you were legal in Cali and had the land to do a big grow within state limits. You'de have an education, a high paying job, and a great OD grow thats legal.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
sorry bro.. but nowere in the US.. does outdoors go for 4k a lb.. and wen people want outdoors and buy WEIGHT. ur looking at between 1500-3k a lb.. MAX unless ur runnin the most amazing strains outdoors that can pass off as indoors..

EH-Hmmm......$4800 in my neck of the woods. But like you said, it has to be Top-Shelf quality from Top-Shelf genetics.
Grown perfectly by expert growers who have done it successfully for years.

Hash Man

can vouch for that ^

For real. I know oldtimers that used to get 5200 when i was getting 3000... Then they were holding out for 4800 when i was getting 2500. He was breaking down more q's than moving whole ones, so his stuff moved slow. Last year he had no business and would not lower his price. He is currently not growing because he said "its not worth it" lol.

I don't see anyone paying 4800 per when buying wholesale. What part of the US is this happening in?

Latest posts

Latest posts