What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

“Binary” or “paired” mutation?

covert

For someone who has only popped less than 30 seeds all up in the last 6 months I have seen a surprisingly high number of genetic mutants or cannabis weirdness.

On a AK-47/Lowryder cross some of the leaves had a strange compound petiole where the leaf stalk split into two and then again to supply the leaflets. I might have a picture in my archive that I'll have to revisit when I charge my camera's battery.

The topic of this thread though is a WOS Afghan Kush plant that was the only sprout of 5 planted.

After the cotyledons it displayed a very indica wide leaf for its first true leaves BUT these had 2 leaflets not 1 and then the main stalk branched immediately to give a dual trunk so to speak.

From there the leaves are not growing opposite each other like usual but rather growing one at a time on the outer part of each side of the dual trunks.

It's like the plant has been split into two. Growth is healthy.

Has anyone seen this pattern of growth before?

Will endeavour to post some pictures up over the weekend but can't promise I'll be able to though I will photograph the apparent mutation.

covert

OK quick correction: the bi-leaflet starts at the second set of true leaves. The first is the usual single leaflet and is opposite phyllotaxy as is the second set which is the bi-leaflet where the growth change occurs.

The bi-leaflet...

Bi_Leaf.jpg

covert

The bifurcation as a whole also demonstrating the changed phyllotaxy...

A little closer...

The top view showing the wide leaf phenotype...

So has anyone seen anything similar? Genetic or environmental?

Dog Star

Veteran
Maybe it was self topped... sometimes plants grow like shit and i haved plants that
haved this kind of performing,or they are born with one cotyledon.. or whithouth any
shot.. and then some shoot start to grow and he is mutated so hard that he
made self topping possible by defoult..

covert

Maybe it was self topped... sometimes plants grow like shit and i haved plants that
haved this kind of performing,or they are born with one cotyledon.. or whithouth any
shot.. and then some shoot start to grow and he is mutated so hard that he
made self topping possible by defoult..

This has had normal growth rate. It is currently as pictured 20 days old since breaking clear of the peat pellet. Cotyledons were dual and normal.

If you look at the bifurcation the node has it's shoot intact. It's not just a self top and growth from the node.

It's a genuine split trunk stem since the nodal shoot is intact and growing also.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
I’ve seen this in some lines. Some plants want to branch on their own. I had one particular pheno out of a pack of RTD from 303 seeds that pretty much did this same exact thing. She sure filled a screen easy.