What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Late 70`s early 80`s Hawaiian

• Thread starter fry like an egg
  • Start date
F

fry like an egg

Ok you older guys and maybe gals remember the Hawaiian that was making it to the States at that time. It was dark green and would take you out with a couple hits and rip your lungs out if you thought you were a man and bogarted it.

We received it in 5 gal pickle containers (5lbs) in each sealed well from the the postal thieves that ran there little steel rods through packages back then to find the ganja.

Anyway, I was just curious if any of you know what was coming from there strain wise then. After growing for 30 yrs I have seen alot of good strains from the old days.

The real Skunk (smelled like a real skunks ass) and mean Mexican 15 ft sativa trees) all from South of the Border.

Was in the seed swap club, OG, CW and got alot of good strains like herijuana, Mota gave me some class A NL#5, Cali orange, etc.

I have grown several big name strains in search of the grail over the many yrs.

Remember Clips and Mota and some of those cool guys that helped a newbie along with bad ass genetics.

Ok, Who knows about that Hawaiian?

2bhi

Hey bro; I was in the seed swap club too. never hear of it anymore. I remember the hawaiian from that period, maui wowie. It was around the time Reagon declared war on drugs, which meant pot shot up from $35 a z to about $200, of course coke and heroin then became cheap and plentiful. But the first time I had Maui Wowie, my bud paid $4oo for an ounce, it was wicked tho. Like you said, light green and sinsimilla. I later tried to find its origin, and as my fading memory recalls it originated in Thailand and got mixed on the island with some indica, probably an afghani. I grew out several hawaiian types from seed over the years and they were all very different. So I guess different eras as well as different locations hve quite a bit of variance.

F

fry like an egg

Thanks 2bhi

What I understand is it went private and invite only after a while.

Maui Wowie you say? This stuff was dark green and mean but you said light green on the Maui Wowie so I am unsure of it being that strain.

Any others or should I take to the strains forum?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had what was supposed to be Hawaiian back in 86 or 87. Color was kinda lighter green I guess. Not dark green.

1 hit and I would be speeding and would see edges of things shimmer. Taste was floral and sweet. It was nerve wracking weed for me but some of the highest quality I have ever smoked. More psychedelic than any pot grown locally that I had experienced.

Smoked at a drive in and wanted to get up and run off from the movie. Driving around after the movie and I wanted to get out of the car and run cause I felt so wired, the car felt like it was almost stationary even though it was going normal speed.

Did around 5 hits off a joint 1 time just to see what would come of a good dose. Sat for I guess 30 minutes ( time stood still so just guessing from other highs peak periods that I know the average) not talking, thinking or moving at all. I felt as though I was a surfer held under the water by a giant wave. Overwhelming really. Lost in a fog would be another analogy.

Sold most of the bag back to the guy that got it for me in the first place. Just too much for me.

I had some so called Hawaiian a couple times around that time and it was just good pot. Found out later it was Hawaiian seed grown local.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Hawaiin I was getting back then was a lighter lime green color & alot more sativa than any of the mexi we were getting at the time . i don't think we called it maui wauwie , just hawaiin . but the stone was unlike anything else around .... real trippy :)

jessethestoner

There was a large amount of Mexican weed rerouted through Hawaii by the brotherhood of eternal love back then I dont remember when they got busted but there a few stories of how they just shipped the above average quality to Hawaii, packaged it up like you're describing And resold it as hawaiin. There was obviously Hawaiin weed (molokai frost, big puna, etc.) but there wasnt the crazy surplus that came in during the 70s and 80s. A lot of that was central and south american

F

fry like an egg

It was not mex weed for sure. It was grown in hawaii by a friends brother but do not know what it was by name. Shipped like that to avoid the theives back then. It was knock out stuff. Haven`t seen much close in 30 yrs and many good strains.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Hawaiian Bud....The Straight Dope

Hawaiian Bud....The Straight Dope

Ok you older guys and maybe gals remember the Hawaiian that was making it to the States at that time. It was dark green and would take you out with a couple hits and rip your lungs out if you thought you were a man and bogarted it.

We received it in 5 gal pickle containers (5lbs) in each sealed well from the the postal thieves that ran there little steel rods through packages back then to find the ganja.

Anyway, I was just curious if any of you know what was coming from there strain wise then. After growing for 30 yrs I have seen alot of good strains from the old days.

The real Skunk (smelled like a real skunks ass) and mean Mexican 15 ft sativa trees) all from South of the Border.

Was in the seed swap club, OG, CW and got alot of good strains like herijuana, Mota gave me some class A NL#5, Cali orange, etc.

I have grown several big name strains in search of the grail over the many yrs.

Remember Clips and Mota and some of those cool guys that helped a newbie along with bad ass genetics.

Ok, Who knows about that Hawaiian?

I lived in Honolulu in the late 70-'s to mid 80's time period in question. Back then I had quite a few local hoodlum buddies that were life long grower's with some killer local connection's.

Nonetheless, even in a bud paradise like Hawaii, sourcing and scoring the chronic back then wasn't easy. Yes, when it's in season (Late October to late May), it's easy to find, but believe it or not, there was always plenty of shit weed around too. I use to amuse annoy my local buddies whenever I asked them to find me some good weed, knowing all too well that if it was shit to average grade, I wouldn't buy it.

Back then, weed prices varied upon who you knew. An ounce cost anywhere from $120 - $180 bucks. I still remember buying unmanicured, absolutely killer Puna Butter Buds on the Big island, direct from the grower for $100/once. It was the kind of weed that literally left you with a sweet buttery flavor after smoking it. When I took some back to the mainland for the Christmas holidays, one big fat joint would literally cripple 6 unsuspecting participant's in a room at a house party. Back then THC content in most weed was at best 10-12 % at the best of time's. Vomiting after one or two hits was not uncommon.

Decent Hawaiian back then was equal-or close to it- to some of the best weed strains that we have today. There is something magical with Hawaiian weed that is expertly grown. The sun, the trade winds, the soil and the old school strains all combined to make it the best weed in the world. Most uninitiated toker's were simply not use to higher THC content weed, coupled with drinking a few too many wobbilly pop's.

Some of the best strains that I remember back then that I was fortunate to smoke were:

Elephant - Thai Sativa that grew like a huge tree in the warm Hawaiian sunshine. Trippy, and really potent. Smelled like a wet moldy carpet.

Molokai Leper Buds - I had a friend that lived in Molokai. He worked at the leper colony in Kalau Papa, hence the name, leper buds. Long sativa like spear buds, with a a piney minty taste.

Haiku KooKoo - I had a crazy local buddy whose parent's allowed him and his hoodlum brother's to grow weed discreetly in the backyard of the family home on the windward side of Oahu. He grew an African sativa strain that was many generation's old, and had acclimatized itself to the micro climate paradise of his back yard. This is where I first learned how important soil is when growing weed. Mr. Haiku Kookoo was a master at mixing/blending his living soil with secret ingredients. It tasted like a tangerine berry smoothie, and was devastatingly potent.

Puna Butter - Like I already stated, exceptional smoke. tasted like butter. The buds were shaped like round button's. To this day, I've never smoked weed that tasted as sweet and buttery.

Kona Gold - Only saw and smoked it a handfull of time's. It looked like and smoked like the best Gold Lumbo, but way better. Sweet, black peppery spicey, and trippy as fuck. I still remember having my buddy that grew the Haiku Kookoo sample some saying that he hadn't seen Kona Gold like that for many year's. He couldn't beleive I found some. It was devestatingly potent. A fat joint would cripple a room of hard core local grower's with ease.
Back then, I think I paid $80 for a quarter once one time to get some. HUGE $$$$ back then.

Maui Wowie - Like the Kona, Maui buds were hard to find. The real Maui Wowie was a short season indica that could be harvested 3-4 time's a year in certain Maui micro climate's with an experienced grower. It tasted like exceptionally sweet hash bud.

Kauai Electric - Kauai is the second oldest Hawaiian island. I had one local grower buddy who was on old school master grower and lived out at north shore of Oahu. He would always preach about good volcanic soil, mixed with the right organic compost. The older the soil, the better. Allegedly, because Kauai soil was so old, it grew out better weed. Looking back at it all know, a good measure of this is true, but I'm also sure that the right strain and a stout grower might have a role to play in this as well.

Here is a pic I retrieved from deep within the bowel's of the top-secret Squid archive's of some "short season stunters." My friend called it Haiku Kookoo. He grew on the windward side of Oahu, in Kaneohe, circa 1983. Blows my mind that it was so long ago.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back then, most of the best Hawaiian weed never left the state. Maybe things are different today, I don't know enough to say. Therefore, chances are, that some of the so-called Hawaiian weed that some of you smoked on the mainland back then was more than likely "export grade" bud, or Californian masquerading as Hawaii. That was a common scam that took place back then. I even remember Californian weed exported to Hawaii that was sold as local Hawaiian. There are a few ICMAG member's from Hawaii. I would love to hear how much different the local bud scene is today in Hawaii. I'm sure much has changed.

Peace & Sour Puffs,

RMS

:smoweed:

Skip

Veteran
These posts bring back lots of memories. I lived on Maui during the late 70s early 80s. I wasn't a big smoker back then as I had a job in a 5 star restaurant and couldn't function high on Maui wowie. But when I did get some, it was fantastic. Just as described above. And yes it was light green, not dark. Puna was darker.

Those days were magical! Living naked on McKenna Beach, camping at the Seven Pools (with mushies of course), hiking in Haleakela Volcano. Very high times...

when it's in season (Late October to late May)
Ah that explains why the Puna plant I have started blooming outdoors right away like an autoflower. Too bad, cause it's so small. Not enough time to veg. :(

F

fry like an egg

Rocky Mtn Squid sweet info man! Yes it was seasonal for sure when we got it.

This stuff would set a whole room full of stoners into stare mode for hours. haha

Had a young kid back then that was famous for being a bogart and we let him rip that mofo big time and we smoked the rest while he coughed his nuts up and couldn`t breathe. We laughed for hours at that one.

It lasted about 5 yrs and was like I said the best I have seen. Wish I could source it all over again?

Same time different region

We used to go to a guys house when we were in our teens that had a chest that he opened that had 3 different buds in it.

1. elephant ear bud (shit looked like an elephant ear for sure.
2. True Thia stick (make you retarded for at least 4 to 5 hours)
3. Something gold (had round balls for buds and glistening with resin)

Talking about smorgasbord man, this was it.

Skip
Where you get the puna budder seeds?

Skip

Veteran
Some guy dropped them off along with some Puna buds at the dispensary I worked at.
Buds were excellent, so that's why I decided to try growing it.

Real hard time getting them to crack. Less than one in ten.

Maybe I should try cracking them in October? Do seeds know the season? ;)

F

fry like an egg

Rocky Mtn Squid

It was grown in hawaii on one of the islands by a friends brother so it was legit stuff.

oldhaole

Veteran
You guys crack me up....

Where do we start?

Light green was probably Elephant. Looks like this. Grown three years back.

picture.php

Dark green? Real dark? Probably Black Thai. Looks like this. Grown four years back.

picture.php

Between the dark green and the light green we had Mango. This was the first Indica Dom we ran into here. Grew this two years back.

picture.php

Oh, and don't let me forget Bloodweed. Grown last year.

picture.php

I still have these genetics in my seed collection. Back then they were the best. Now they are pretty damn good...but not great. Not as good as our modern clones...but close...all from seed too.

A lot of Hawaiian weed was built off those early strains. Mango was the first strain bred locally. Elephant had her roots in Mexico. Bloodweed came from Columbia. We also had a lot of different Thai and Vietnameese strains too.

A few random thoughts.

Hawaii is a place. Maui is a place. Kona is a place. There is no Maui Woowie. No Kauai Electric. No Puna Butter. Because the genetics are muddy, any strain grown here is called Maui Wowie by you guys over there. Any strain....if there is a place name in front you don't know what it really is....call it Maui Wowie. Chances are good the next Maui Wowie you toke won't be like the last Maui Wowie you remember....because it's not.

Hawaii is a land of microclimates. Seeds from the same plant will come out differently depending where they are planted. Another reason to lump it all together under a generic term like Maui Wowie.

Since we have three growing seasons just about all of us old bastards chuck pollen. Because everybody is a breeder strains morph fast here. So your variations are endless...and quickly changing. Another reason to lump it together under the Maui Wowie lable.

This year I'm running a homemade Bloodweed x Black Thai cross. This is where we are today.

picture.php

I can't speak on what was happening on the other islands, but I've lived on Maui for 45 years. These were the strains we grew up with.

F

fry like an egg

oldhaole
Awesome to get such detail on that time frame, I knew there was at least one that had inside info on them goodies :)

Dark green? Real dark? Probably Black Thai. Looks like this.

It was dark as dark could be. My old mind is fading on what island his brother was from so all I can go by is the super dark color and top notch smoke.

Also heard from him back then that we could not match the growth and climate to grow it as well here.

Wish I would been smart enough back then to get some seeds and at least give it a whirl.

Thanks to all for the input.