What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aero cloner to coco trouble

Epic Resin

Any tips on transplanting to coco from aerocloners. I can root easy. They get stunted bad after transplanting. Please give tips if possible. I may go back to cloning in coco. My results aren’t quite as good.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
If you are careful with them, I have done this with no problem, sounds like you are upsetting them somehow in the transplant. I always dangled them in a pot, drizzled coco over till full, watered, then give them an easy couple of days.., before slamming them right in a HD garden and "asking" the max from them.

beta

Veteran
Rinse your coco very well with normal nutrient solution before or after you transplant into it.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Could you possibly be burying them too deep to start? Not always but once in a while, a stem will get super sensitive on you if you bury too much to start and it gets a bit choked.

Otherwise, low light and reasonably charged coco shouldn't shock your clones too badly. Running any nutrition or seedling solution in your cloner? Roots brown or slimy when they come out?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stunted unhealthy or stunted stalled?

I lose a few days switching medium.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
What I do is I clip the root tips 5-7 days before I transplant them into a different medium from the aero cloner. This causes the cutting to start to send out new root shoots/growth. This is the prime time to transplant, since they have started new root growth, the growth continues and they take off like weeds. This gives them less of a bump in the road between different mediums.

Epic Resin

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses:

Chaos - that’s how I transplant them. Exactly the same way you describe. How long should the roots be? I thought the longer the better, this might be part of my trouble. Thoughts?

Bush dr - I ph to 6.0

Beta - what ppm do you use. I use about 400, but don’t flush. I’ll try flushing this time.

Bs gospel - burying too deep, interesting, never thought if that. They are under a 400w. They are like 2 ft away, I thought that would be okay. Running 300-350 ppm solution in the cloner. Roots all pure white.

Mikel - stunted in both ways, I would say.

I’m doing a clone run now. Would you guys mind sticking around. I’ll document with pics.

beta

Veteran
Hi all,

Beta - what ppm do you use. I use about 400, but don’t flush. I’ll try flushing this time.

I use 1.2-1.4EC (600-700ppm @ 500 scale) from fresh clones all the way through veg and even the first couple weeks of flower.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I've been rooting my clones in a homemade aerocloner and putting them in cups of coco for years and never had one fail. I'm going to assume you have good coco that comes precharged and is slightly damp when you squeeze it.
1) the more roots on the clone the better
2) Fill a party cup half full of coco then press it down compact with your knuckles.
3) Now take some of the feed you are going to be giving them as they grow- around 1.2ec and correct ph for coco- pour about 2-3 tablespoons of feed right into the center of the coco in the cup.
4) Now place your clone in the cup- roots right on the wet spot- and fill the cup up with coco covering at least 2 inches of the stalk. Compact coco with your fingers.
5) Very important- no harsh light for 3 days. if you run a 400w put all the clones a long ways from it and never under it. After 3 days you can gradually move them closer and they will take right off.
6) no domes- no sprays- don't fuck with them. they can go almost a week or until some coco on top starts drying before you feed them again.
100% success so far doing it this way.

jocat

here

here

so use a good pre bagged coco to start, if your using something equivalent you shouldn't need to do anything but drop that little f'r in the hole, I always check PH of the nutes that feed them, I have seen some yellowing when the PH is off but if it's spot on & other environmental factors are right nothing will hold it/you back. as for flushing coco....it will get flushed plenty when the plant gets growing..

Spaventa

Veteran
I find that long bare roots cause problem when transplanting in to media. They get coiled up or bunched up and become a source of stress and decay. Cut the roots short before planting. Give them a Rhizo root stim and they will be up and running. They won't get stressed and unhealthy and will rebuild the roots you cut off in no time, only into you new media. The ideal time to pot up into loose media from a cloner is when the roots are short and spiky.

beta

Veteran
I find that long bare roots cause problem when transplanting in to media. They get coiled up or bunched up and become a source of stress and decay. Cut the roots short before planting. Give them a Rhizo root stim and they will be up and running. They won't get stressed and unhealthy and will rebuild the roots you cut off in no time, only into you new media. The ideal time to pot up into loose media from a cloner is when the roots are short and spiky.

I agree, if my roots get much longer than an inch or two I cut them back to 1" before I transplant - Forget about that coiled root nonsense.

Goats

I've been rooting my clones in a homemade aerocloner and putting them in cups of coco for years and never had one fail. I'm going to assume you have good coco that comes precharged and is slightly damp when you squeeze it.
1) the more roots on the clone the better
2) Fill a party cup half full of coco then press it down compact with your knuckles.
3) Now take some of the feed you are going to be giving them as they grow- around 1.2ec and correct ph for coco- pour about 2-3 tablespoons of feed right into the center of the coco in the cup.
4) Now place your clone in the cup- roots right on the wet spot- and fill the cup up with coco covering at least 2 inches of the stalk. Compact coco with your fingers.
5) Very important- no harsh light for 3 days. if you run a 400w put all the clones a long ways from it and never under it. After 3 days you can gradually move them closer and they will take right off.
6) no domes- no sprays- don't fuck with them. they can go almost a week or until some coco on top starts drying before you feed them again.
100% success so far doing it this way.

this is essentially how i am cloning these days.
results have been good. plants never see anything but coco their entire lives :biggrin:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I agree, if my roots get much longer than an inch or two I cut them back to 1" before I transplant - Forget about that coiled root nonsense.

If you start out in party cups then coiled roots don't mean jack shit. Some of my roots coming from the aerocloner are 1 foot long when I put them in the cup. Soon as roots exit the holes in the bottom of the cups they go into 1 gal sq plastic pots. Last they go into 2 gal fabric pots where coiling is impossible.

Goats

I can't get clones to root in coco at all which is why i have to use an aerocloner to help me:biggrin:

whatever works!

a while back i purchased some of those aero sprayers with plans to make one of those cloners, but never got around to it. it hasn't been a priority because doing everything in coco has been what's easiest for me, but one day i will give it a go for sure.

used rockwool before coco with success, but not quite as good as the straight coco has been.

tbh, the healthiest clones i've ever rooted were just haphazardly tossed into a shotglass of water and left on a windowsill for 3-4 weeks! they stayed perky and green the entire time.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Coiled roots mean a lot if your plant has to spend its first week untangling the knotted mess.

I don't see that here, i actually coil the long roots in circles by turning the clone round and round as the tips lay in the coco before covering with coco. Don't see any lag yer talking about. Not that I would care as the clones have 8-10 weeks to grow 5 feet tall before I put them in bloom.:biggrin: