What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco DTW can’t get it to work :-(

Ok stupid question. I hadn’t put you to together.

I fully accept that if you had my space and equipment you would get it to work.

I am doing something wrong. Maybe it’s environment. I use a bedroom venting in to the chimney so it’s hard to keep RH high. Night time temps are probs a bit too low. What I can’t understand is why they do so well in Veg and then f up with n tox in flower?! Arrrgh

Maybe my e.c is just too high. I’ve got some about to flip. Running Shogun coco nutes at 2ml/l with 0.25 calmag ec is about 1.4. These were in 2l pots and about 3ft high I’ve just reported to 6.5l there showing first signs of N tox. What would you do? I’m thinking drop the EC. Should I keep them in veg until they’re a lighter green before flip? Starve them? Is it a list cause lol?!

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Still no pics ....getting nowhere

Do you use a tent?

If not what size is your grow space?

How big is your extraction and filter?

You need 50 posts to use PMs so rack up some posts, once you do that I'll go into detail

If you've just transplanted then put them in 14/10 for 6 days and switch your light cycle to night time, leave your circulation fans on 24/7

madalasatori

Veteran
You're probably overwatering, I recently had a similar thing and the overwatering was messing up the uptake of nutes.

What caused mine was going to multiple waterings too fast - its easy to drown the roots and cause all sorts of bother

Bush Dr

Veteran
Just looked at the Shogun site, no wonder you're getting excess N, the feed chart is telling you to add more when you should be using less

Still no pics ....getting nowhere

Do you use a tent?

If not what size is your grow space?

How big is your extraction and filter?

You need 50 posts to use PMs so rack up some posts, once you do that I'll go into detail

If you've just transplanted then put them in 14/10 for 6 days and switch your light cycle to night time, leave your circulation fans on 24/7

I've had to move around a bit so have had a few setups recently all with the same problems in flower.

Not in a tent but in a room 3.5mx4m with probably 3.5*3m actual growing space. 4x600w lights
10" isomax fan on a sms hybrid controller

You're probably overwatering, I recently had a similar thing and the overwatering was messing up the uptake of nutes.

What caused mine was going to multiple waterings too fast - its easy to drown the roots and cause all sorts of bother

What would you feeding schedule would you recommend and nutrients?? Maybe then strain SLH is sensitive to N tox so something low in N might be best

Thanks this might be it. I keep reading about not being able to overwater coco and I kept reading that to overcome problems more watering was key.

This is my mistake it must be underdeveloped roots part of the problem

I've been using fabric pots which then screws up any chance of looking at the roots. So will be switching back to plastic from now on. Latest run is 6.5l plastic pots so will be able to check and post up pics soon

Maybe too much calmag?

Maybe too much calmag?

I know I have to cut the calmag right after the stretch, mainly because the cal mag a use has a bit of N in it. Also I believe the plants demand for calcium diminishes in late flower. I usually switch to a chleated mag supp. Just a possibility I hadn't heard mentioned.

I know I have to cut the calmag right after the stretch, mainly because the cal mag a use has a bit of N in it. Also I believe the plants demand for calcium diminishes in late flower. I usually switch to a chleated mag supp. Just a possibility I hadn't heard mentioned.

thanks - yeah all the calmag I can get from the local shop has N in it. The last run with bad N tox was 6/9 and epsom only. So in this case that's not the problem but it could be.

Its strange they dont sell just CalMag

hazyfontazy

Veteran
same water source as me ,,its shit ,mines undrinkable ,,reeks of chlorine ,,ph the other day was 8 ffs ,fucked my grows up for ages till i realised ,,get an ro machine :)

UncleBens

My ph has been around 8 lately also, thought my ph meter was broken. Its really nice water though, no bad tastes at all. Ec of .2 also, so must be pretty clean?

Im going to need to start multiple feeds too, they are looking thirsty an hour before lights out now...

Maybe my rooms are setup badly.

I can use the upstairs bedroom of an empty terraced house and vent in to the chimney
Currently:
I setup 4x600w lights and grow 8-9 plants
10" fan 10" Filter
225L reservoir outside the room to stop it getting hot in summer and getting slime problems
DTW with 2 fast flow(blue) drippers in each pot 8-10L (am trying 6.5L now)
2 12" air circulating fans in room but not pointed directly at plants

I find it really difficult to keep up RH as the humidity is blasted straight up the chimney it can be as low as 30% when the plants are small. Small humidifers seem to make no difference and when I run a large centrifugal humidifier (HR50) I encounter other problems from all the water but at least the RH goes up.

If you anyone has any suggestions on how to grow 2.4KW room better please give me some suggestions.

Constraints are 4mx4m room, Chimney vent, no acc, max 3600w, max 9 plants, need to be able to leave for 3/4 days when necessary so must be automated water

same water source as me ,,its shit ,mines undrinkable ,,reeks of chlorine ,,ph the other day was 8 ffs ,fucked my grows up for ages till i realised ,,get an ro machine :)

from severn trent

The supply to this area is from a blend of sources from our East Midlands Strategic Network

Same?

Also how are you buffering the RO? cut with tap? or use up/down

I have RO for the humidifier so am thinking of switching. The only thing is as the other growers in the area that hand water these 20L pots of coco with 6oz plants do OK.

I grow multifeed DTW in smaller pots and do crap....

One of the other differences is my friend with the big pots just vents outside the room and in to the house which has the benefit of vastly improved RH as the humidity is being pulled back in. This f*cks the house up though through condensation everywhere including the windows and making it smell. Obvs this also creates massive heat probs in summer

Is the chimney vent just a bad idea? How do other people properly vent a bedroom or similar?

Bush Dr

Veteran
the other growers in the area that hand water these 20L pots of coco with 6oz plants do OK.

I grow multifeed DTW in smaller pots and do crap....

HGO, Dansbuds and myself plus more coco growers have regularly pulled 8+ Oz from 3.5 pots

I do just need a bit more info. I've not flipped them yet but they are ready. What does the 14/10 do? I've not heard of this before