What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Botrytis is systemic, right?

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
you can make a plant more prone to botrytis by feeding to much nitrogen in flower. Calcinit at PPM lower than 500 on the 700 scale on the Bluelab Truncheon during flower. For extra calcium stir up, separately, gypsum (not the liquid) and feed at 500ppm, do this for every watering in flower. You can also feed potassium at 500ppm too. (Mix it all separately and add to the tank👍🍻)
This is Bradley Danks IP and there’s more to it than just this for proper plant nutrition but this should help prevent botrytis and bring your losses down to more acceptable levels.
Cheers,

St. Phatty

There is a product CS 2005 which claims it is safe on cannabis and uses nano copper that can get into plants through stomata. When I mentioned I was a hobbyist company stopped replying. Smallest amount I see for sale is 2.5 gallons for close to $200. I probably only need a few ounces. I just want to be able to salvage genetics without having botrytis in the clones. Seems anything that can cure it is on banned list for CA. Had considered Myclobutanil but half life is 60 - 220 days so could be years to get it completely out of plant.

Do you have a friend that works for the post office or a dentist that is willing to interpret the rules in a flexible manner ?

Or a friend that works at a university with a good physics lab ?

I suspect that X-rays are very useful for killing some pathogens without killing the host. Partially because radiation treatment of live foods is very common.

e.g. pineapples. They get X-rayed to kill pests, but the top of the plant is still alive. I have one pineapple that is looking like a normal decorative plant, about 18" tall so far. The X-rays kill the small animals/ bugs, but not the plant.

That would be an interesting experiment.

X ray unrooted AND rooted clones to see if it got rid of the mold and to see if some of them survive.

44:86N

Botrytis is for sure systemic, and can ride along on a seeds outer shell. A good long soak in a stiff peroxide solution will help with the seeds. Even then, early preventive treatments will help out more than anything else, other than keeping growing areas clean.

Whoever said the mold itself is the fruiting body, is correct. All fungi are mycelium bodies, which exist in some substrate. The substrate for botrytis is plant tissue.

Fungicide drenches, on young plants ready for water, work best, if the label says you can use a fungicide for a drench. Sometimes, they will not mention botrytis in the drench instructions, since it is usually sprayed for, but drenches work during the early stages of veggie growth. If you can keep your plant(s) clean up until flower initiation, you will have less issues (hopfully none at all), but that means starting out early on.

And yes, a turn for the better in terms of weather can dry a fruiting body up. But.....

Labeled for edibles and drenches:

Affirm

Reliant
(also available on other lables, Phostrol, Magellan, ect. -- Salts of Potassium and Phosphorus

Pageant Intrinsic

Mural

Not labeled for edibles or drenches:

Astun --- this shit knocks botrytis the fuck out, but it's only labeled for ornamentals....

Nufarm is a really good chemical company with a line up for edibles, and you can check out there product list. In the US, "Do my own pest control" generally has the above listed for non-commercial folks online.

This battle is endless. My own efforts for 2023 are very centered on sanitation of growing areas.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Do you have a friend that works for the post office or a dentist that is willing to interpret the rules in a flexible manner ?

Or a friend that works at a university with a good physics lab ?

I suspect that X-rays are very useful for killing some pathogens without killing the host. Partially because radiation treatment of live foods is very common.

e.g. pineapples. They get X-rayed to kill pests, but the top of the plant is still alive. I have one pineapple that is looking like a normal decorative plant, about 18" tall so far. The X-rays kill the small animals/ bugs, but not the plant.

That would be an interesting experiment.

X ray unrooted AND rooted clones to see if it got rid of the mold and to see if some of them survive.
No I do not, but have something nearly as nasty UVC lamp. It is supposed to kill spider mite eggs and surface mold with 15 minute treatments. Need to be very careful since horrible for eyes. I had tent open and was flipping switches on power strips and did not realize it turned. Vision in one eye was bad for 2 weeks after that. Wondering how much UVC would be bad for small cuttings/clones. My bulb is 25 watt but have seen a unit with 100 watts and a remote control. Would like to get a sample of CS 2005 just to see if it really works. I usually do not do much about humidity in veg, hoping high humidity will prevent spider mites but my MAC1 and Chimera #3 plants got Botrytis on lower stems on small plants waiting to be up potted.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Botrytis is for sure systemic, and can ride along on a seeds outer shell. A good long soak in a stiff peroxide solution will help with the seeds. Even then, early preventive treatments will help out more than anything else, other than keeping growing areas clean.

Whoever said the mold itself is the fruiting body, is correct. All fungi are mycelium bodies, which exist in some substrate. The substrate for botrytis is plant tissue.

Fungicide drenches, on young plants ready for water, work best, if the label says you can use a fungicide for a drench. Sometimes, they will not mention botrytis in the drench instructions, since it is usually sprayed for, but drenches work during the early stages of veggie growth. If you can keep your plant(s) clean up until flower initiation, you will have less issues (hopfully none at all), but that means starting out early on.

And yes, a turn for the better in terms of weather can dry a fruiting body up. But.....

Labeled for edibles and drenches:

Affirm

Reliant
(also available on other lables, Phostrol, Magellan, ect. -- Salts of Potassium and Phosphorus

Pageant Intrinsic

Mural

Not labeled for edibles or drenches:

Astun --- this shit knocks botrytis the fuck out, but it's only labeled for ornamentals....

Nufarm is a really good chemical company with a line up for edibles, and you can check out there product list. In the US, "Do my own pest control" generally has the above listed for non-commercial folks online.

This battle is endless. My own efforts for 2023 are very centered on sanitation of growing areas.
Problem is safe for edibles does not mean safe for cannabis. Myclobutanil is widely used for food but turns to hydrogen cyanide when burned. That is why it is rampant in outdoor grown bud. Half life is 60 - 220 days so a mother could take years to be safe.

I am trying to avoid tissue culture which is the right way to clean a plant, but takes 3 months, sterile conditions and can go bad if exposed to any spores. Basically using mushroom growing techniques with agar mixed with nutrient solution and tiniest bit of uppermost growth that is sanitized 3 times.

St. Phatty

No I do not, but have something nearly as nasty UVC lamp. It is supposed to kill spider mite eggs and surface mold with 15 minute treatments. Need to be very careful since horrible for eyes. I had tent open and was flipping switches on power strips and did not realize it turned. Vision in one eye was bad for 2 weeks after that. Wondering how much UVC would be bad for small cuttings/clones. My bulb is 25 watt but have seen a unit with 100 watts and a remote control. Would like to get a sample of CS 2005 just to see if it really works. I usually do not do much about humidity in veg, hoping high humidity will prevent spider mites but my MAC1 and Chimera #3 plants got Botrytis on lower stems on small plants waiting to be up potted.

When they do LASIK eye surgery, they use a UV laser that is literally about 1 Million times brighter than the sun.

And the FDA says it is safe.

I had a woman friend who committed suicide because she was living with constant eye pain after LASIK and no doctor would help her.