What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bloom bed super soil mix?

I'm currently setting up a light dep gh with no till beds for perpetual harvests and ill have a separate gh for vegging and clones. My question is since the beds will be dedicated to flowering should I change it up from the regular super soil recipes ditto for cover crop blend? Here's what I'm thinking currently:
Rice hulls
Lava rock/Pumice
Neem/Karanja meal
Peat moss
Coco coir
Kelp meal
Malt barley powder
Fulvic acid
EWC
malibu compost
crustacean dust

Since posting I've learned a lot, in case anyone else has wondered this no it doesn't matter in a no-till the plants take up what they need from all the organic inputs

ncg08c

Greetings Squirl! I'm new to the community. I grew last year in 20 gallon pots inside a hoop house and was quite successful. however my feeding was some hydro salts (peters 5-11) and calnit and epsom salt, with compost tea additions. it went great, but i am planning to move 100% organic no till in beds! i would love to hear about your successes and challenges on your project, as well as the size of your beds and anything else you want to share!

CHeers!

Welcome to the community! My no-till beds I have are 3'x3' smart pot beds filled with my own custom vegan blend of soil with extra rice hulls and lava rocks added in for aeretion along with a layer of lava rock on the bottom for drainage. I started mine with a mostly clover and rye cover crop with some hay to keep in moisture. I have to say I think mixing the soil has been the most work from there it just gets easier and easier.

h.h.

Veteran
Hurry up and wait.
I'd do away with the bottom layer of rock. It just makes your pot smaller. Mainly there should be something under your pots so they can drain.
They need air on the bottom or the roots can grow through the pots.

Plants do take up what they need, however being dried, rolled, and smoked doesn't fit into that category. If you look at chemical nutes and the resulting flush needed as the extreme, plants will take up a lot that we don't need. They take up excess nitrogen if it is present. The super soils are loaded upfront with nitrogen which is drawn down over the life of the plant.
I've done the same thing planting next to buried compost.Green, green flowers.
I'm not saying what will happen, only what may happen, depending on how rich your mix is.
Good to see someone using beds again.

Hurry up and wait.
I'd do away with the bottom layer of rock. It just makes your pot smaller. Mainly there should be something under your pots so they can drain.
They need air on the bottom or the roots can grow through the pots.

Plants do take up what they need, however being dried, rolled, and smoked doesn't fit into that category. If you look at chemical nutes and the resulting flush needed as the extreme, plants will take up a lot that we don't need. They take up excess nitrogen if it is present. The super soils are loaded upfront with nitrogen which is drawn down over the life of the plant.
I've done the same thing planting next to buried compost.Green, green flowers.
I'm not saying what will happen, only what may happen, depending on how rich your mix is.
Good to see someone using beds again.
As its already on its 3rd run ill probably just leave them out on my next bed but i do have them raised up on 2x4's sitting in cinder blocks.
Also I suggest starting a worm bin if someone is switching no till once you have it setup you have unlimited vermicompost essentially and you can brew more tea than you'll ever need plus breeding worms for your bed. That along with dried coconut water and aloe vera is pretty much all you will need minimally.

h.h.

Veteran
Currently I'm trying a bunch of store bought stuff. Adding a lot of new, making it a bit difficult to comment on each individually. I need to break it down to see if the individual ingredients are worth it. With my last harvest and the first in a long time, the soil held out without much need for additional inputs. Not that I don't feed. I just don't feed much and then I'm just trying to feed the soil. I did use a little Sul-Po-Mag and for 1 plant that showed zinc deficiencies, I buried a couple zinc coated washers
With that I hardly ever use straight water. If nothing else, I'll make tea with dried leaves or something. Presently I'm using store bought inputs. Fulvic acid, yucca extract, and pine bark extract.
The pine bark (flavonoids), I bought for myself for the health benefits, but I couldn't stomach it. Totally experimental with no controls. I also used dried yeast flakes from the grocery store.
Very minute amounts of Sea90.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pittmoss 12-13 gallons.
I used an equal amount of sphagnum peat moss that had been screened through a 3/8" screen to remove the bigger stuff.
Five gallons of good worm castings.
Parboiled rice hulls.
Pumice.
3/8" zeolite.
green sand (more zeolite).
Soybean meal.
Neem/karanja meal.
Fish meal.
Yucca extract.
Oyster shell flour.
Crab meal.
Insect frasse.
Kelp..
Biochar.
Marine char.
Oatmeal.
Chia.
Epsoma Organic vegetable fertilizer.

I used an EM-1 type product and molasses to ferment basically whatever I could before adding it to the mix. To this fermentation, I added the char to pre charge it.

I've used a lot of coconut in the past. Yes it contains all that stuff. It is a seed. It gained it's reputation mainly because it was once used in making cultures, mainly because it was a source of sterile water. It offers little that other cheaper seed doesn't also offer.
I've never seen any benefit from using aloe.

I've seen excellent weed grown in pure worm composted horse shit. While it doesn't make good potting soil, for all the other inputs, it doesn't get any better. It mostly sounds better.

[/FONT]