What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microwaving Cannabutter - quickest, easiest method

S

Sir_Nugget

Hello folks :tiphat:, by now a lot of you may have seen me around here. A few months ago I started a thread about how I could not get high from eating edibles. It turns out that I am not the only one. Since then I have tried and failed many a different way to get high by eating.

After years of trial and error, I have found a sound way to get high by eating. Which I have found to not only be more healthful than regular smoking, but the high seems to stay with me longer. Now, with smoking you hit a peak a couple minutes to fifteen minutes after you exhale (We all know this). With eating, I have found that a peak comes much later, and more gradually. I feel like eating offers a more steady high, and have come to prefer it over smoking. Although If I still want that instant high, I'll smoke.

(After smoking seven years, I am sick of hawking up black globs of resin, and cleaning sticky black shit out of clogged pipes and bongs... I hate hate hate tar!!! and throat irritations, eating is a great solution!! GREEAAT!

Why microwaving cannabutter is so good...

With microwaving, you can make very small batches at a time, and test it. Not to see if it works; I can already tell you it works well. But you can experiment to perfect the dose. This recipe for a single dose of cannabutter calls for about equal parts butter to weed: (Btw, I am nicely baked off a tablespoon of shake I just nuked)

1-2 tablespoons of finely ground trim. I use dry trim with a little trichs on it, and I have not tested using wet trim yet. If using male leaf, or veg leaf, consider taking a 2 tablespoon dose or more.

Be careful microwaving your butter!!!

1) The way I do it is like this: I finely ground the weed, extra fine with my kief catching 2" sharpstone grinder. I pound the kief out for smoking, and use the shake for food. Works good.

2) Now get a microwavable tea or coffee mug, and put the butter in it. Microwave that for 5-10 seconds to melt the butter. Then add in the finely ground cannabis. Stir the cannabis into the butter, good.

3) Then microwave this for 10-20 seconds depending on microwave. Since i use a super cheapo 800w microwave, I go for more like 20 seconds. Then I stir it, and then microwave it again for 10-20 seconds. You can let it cool, and then nuke it a third time, but twice should be enough. The weed should seem a little bit crispier, which I think means it has been decarboxylated and is ready to eat. Eat the shake + butter mixture, WITHOUT extracting the butter. I'm saying eat the weed too. It doesnt taste that good, but we are here to get high not complain about taste.

What I do is spoon a couple pieces of leftovers (in my case split pea soup) into the mug holding the cannabutter, and mix the food into the cannabutter. Warm it, then eat every bit of it. The cannabutter taste should be rich and strong. Remember I am an ultra high tolerance dude, and this works for me. It can work on anyone.

I will add pics to this tutorial someday. By all means tinker with, test, and experiment with this recipe.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Sounds like it is worth a try, try it with weed you heat first and see if it is even better. I think eating the weed is good for the body, when I do it, I get off much longer because my old digestive system keeps extracing thc as it goes through my gi tract. This means I will often be high the next day from it, not always productive, but fun.

S

Sir_Nugget

Haps: At first I tried nuking the weed by itself, to activate / decarboxylate the cannabis. But my microwave can't handle dry weed, it needs moisture in it or it will burn up. Then I tried just using the weed + butter, simpler, and it is still effective.. dry weed in my microwave = light show.

I'm not one to yuck anyone's yum, but.... ew! I do like to eat a little herb like I'd cook with sage or oregano etc... but nuked like that? My question is this: why can't you just stove top it for a couple minutes? It is sooo easy to burn butter in the nuke-ro-wave, why not just a nice slow easy stove top method? And by slow, I mean like 5 minutes or less.

I totally hear ya on the not getting high thing... have you explored other methods of thc extraction? BHO is amazing and you can eat it, although it is feared by some to be a carcinogen. butane is a carcinogen, but it is eliminated in the process... some believe a trace remains. Another method we are going to try is to use everclear (alcoholic extraction), but you can't get it in every state. Overall, I would say you're on to something good if you're finally getting high. Eventually you'll want to go for the gold and get some sort of extraction method going, and the end result can be easily mixed in with a little quality oil of your choice for consumption. Oil is more versatile, more heat tolerant, and has a much longer shelf life. If you're working with small amounts of herb and need to get high, then I would look in to some work-trade options for some decent trim stash. Getting high off of males and vegetation I guess is possible, but a nice amount (QP or so?) could make you a gallon of high grade, high potency oil that you'd only have to make twice a year or so. Good Luck! ~MissGD

S

Sir_Nugget

but a nice amount (QP or so?) could make you a gallon of high grade, high potency oil that you'd only have to make twice a year or so. Good Luck! ~MissGD
-missgreen

I like that idea of making a gallon of oil and having it last 6 months or a year... The reason I eat the weed too, is because it supplies that extra kick that I need. I actually mix the weed/butter in with food, and it ends up looking like it has pesto or oregano in it. Overall not that bad, but eaten alone.. awful...

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Yeah, I hear that, weed gets unhappy fast in nuke land. I have tried it this way a couple years ago and remember it working, but I like making my monthly batch and freezing it. Cool ride ain't it?

S

Sir_Nugget

Everything works fine, my directions called for 10-20 second nukes, 2-3 nukes.. no burning, much quicker and easier than stove top

diamondmine

Definitely giving that a try but filtering the end through a screen. Or even better I'll let the butter harden, then put it in some boiled water, then cool, then eat. I can't stand that taste, ruins the buzz when I'm a step away from puking. haha

S

Sir_Nugget

Definitely giving that a try but filtering the end through a screen. Or even better I'll let the butter harden, then put it in some boiled water, then cool, then eat. I can't stand that taste, ruins the buzz when I'm a step away from puking. haha

The reason I don't filter it, is because the weed will soak up a lot of the butter. Use a ratio of 1:1 (cannabis : butter)... If you are concerned about the taste, as am I.. find a strong dish to mix it into like lasagna or chili... I explained all this already in the first post

sniderar

Trying this for the first time. When the butter is cooled will it go back to a solid state? Also can it be kept in the refridgerator for a few days?

DaClems

Just tried this with some good. Emptied 2-3 bowls worth into a small plastic container, added a pad of butter and some margarine. Mixed in some oregano to mask the bud taste.

Afterwards, I added some grated cheese, which was a mistake. It globbed up and grabbed the bud as I tried to melt everything down.

It tasted okay, but I added some hot sauce to it to further mask the taste.

Dipped some leftover pizza in it and followed it up with a slice of cheesecake to settle my stomach.

Currently awaiting the first wave to hit. Will report in an hour.

DaClems

Currently awaiting the first wave to hit. Will report in an hour.

Edit: It didn't really seem to affect me for about 4 hours, but I just smoked a bowl and feeling that "extra" highness that you get from edibles. It's incredible.

All in all, pleasant experience. I thought the bud would taste terrible, but among a heavy dose of oregano and some pepper vinegar, it was actually a really tasty dipping sauce for my pizza crust. Thinking I might have burnt my shake a bit before it all melted down. Microwaved three times, stirring in between, for about 10-15 seconds. Can't say I recommend microwaving the butter, because it doesn't stay hot long enough to be properly cooking the bud. I think next time I will not be lazy and break out the pan.

The pan. I am the pan!

-rooster crow-

Just watch out eating the plant material it can give you the shits. I mix BHO into Vegetable Glycerin and heat it at 250 degrees for about 20 mins. And put it into a glass dropper vial. It taste like sweet heat and dabs yummy!

mr.brunch

Veteran
Just done this, 2-3 js worth of bud ground up plus a good j worth of kief... Mixed the melted butter with a spoon of peanut butter and a spoon of chocolate spread, then mopped it up with some bread.
Watch this space......

mr.brunch

Veteran
Well, it took about 2 hours to kick in but was a very nice high- not the most powerful, but nice and I got my first full night sleep in a while, kept the pain at bay for the night.
Thank you o.p , very helpful.

nissa23

it needs moisture in it or it will burn up.
o.png

Groove'nGraph

I was just wondering if this might work. Think it will be breakfast tomorrow, perhaps buried under some green onion cream cheese on a piece of toasted bagel.

Also plan to try with coconut oil/butter, and with ABV.

Great post OP! Just what I was thinking about, without even having to search.