What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the ideal color of cannabutter?

I've been making quite a bit of budder lately, all using various methods. One thing I noticed was the color differences. Some were very green, others hand a golden light green tinge to it, and still others were very brown. Different batches have been made with trim from different plants so the effects of each batch are slightly different.

In your experiences, what do you believe is optimal?

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Any color you want frikin. In fact, if you get your butter direct from someone like I do, the color of it will probably vary throughout the year. Color of your end butter depends on:

Color of your starting butter (butter color varies depending on what the cow was eating, time of year, etc. Some countries they dye the butter, some they don't, just like with cheeses).

How much oxidative damage the butter takes before/during/after cannabis extraction. Exposure to high heat, air, etc can all speed the demise of mr butter. Your butter may be older than you think, or more heavily processed.

Color of the material you're dumping into it. Water cured bud is pretty brown & ugly, fresh trim is normally bright chlorophyll green, air/jar cured bud can be all sorts of purty colors. Many of these colors can leach into the butter.

Time you're processing the butter. Many compounds that help create color can be broken down by heat/oxygen/mechanical processing. Stirring your trim/bud vigorously is going to result in a different color than just dumping whole buds in a pan of butter and calling it good.

Filtering also changes the color of butter. Mechanically removing traces of plant from your butter will change it to a lighter color in most cases. Skimming & settling your butter into ghee also tends to fall (at least imho) under filtering.

guest396

it depends on what you used to make the cannabutter also, ie; bud trim popcorn light or dark variances to the a fore mentioned, did you use hash, butane, or iso? it just really depends. now i know what you mentioned, but this is an in addition

Hindu Killer

Veteran
The green color is chlorophyl....melt down agian strain again, cool etc....should get clear'er each time.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Best color is no change, butter color. The way I like best is to use the 190 - 120mu hash and put it in a crock pot 40grms cooking hash to 1lb of butter. let simmer on low for 6hrs or so stir often enough and then pour into molds. 10grms of hash per stick is a lot but it REALLY does the trick.

:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts