What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Time Grower Tricks

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
A little while ago someone mentioned a tip an old timer gave him for growing outdoors. Drop an egg in the hole, put your pot plant in the hole, cover it, Next hole.

A couple people said they always did it. I'm a little curious, so I'm willing to spend a dozen eggs on it next grow as a test. I'll do it to 6 Photo's and 6 Auto's.

Now I read mention that in the "old days" they'd drive a nail into the stalk to thicken it up. Thicker stalk, bigger cola. Has anyone heard of that?

B

bigganjabud

I've heard all sorts over the years tbh mate

Can't imagine what a ground cooked rotton egg would do to roots or the flavour of said plants tbh

I've heard loads of talk of everything from pregnant woman piss to placentas and other weird stuff people have mentioned

Have at it I say it's either gonna help or not

Seeing as you was mentioning holes I take it that your planting outdoor

So with that in mind crack on mate

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
i think an egg would only encourage animals to dig up the ground beneath your young plant
/ im interested in hearing where this thread goes

here is one of mine, use old chicken wire, as in leave it out so it rusts, or paint it black
/blends into the environment better

B

bigganjabud

i think an egg would only encourage animals to dig up the ground beneath your young plant
/ im interested in hearing where this thread goes

here is one of mine, use old chicken wire, as in leave it out so it rusts, or paint it black
/blends into the environment better

Thinking of going Gurilla this year as well lol cheers for that

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Carp under a rose bush. Egg under a plant. It's all just what people had on hand for compost. Eggs are great for the compost bin. Calcium and potassium. Sure can't hurt.

Nail through the stalk is nonsense. How is that going to help any living thing?

I mentioned to an old timer once that birds were eating my cherry tomatoes and other crops. He said build a bird bath. They are seeking water. I laughed, but I tried it. It worked. Birds loved the water and left my shit alone. So I'm sure there are lots of cool techniques out there that are forgotten, and hopefully this thread will bring some back to life!

'Boogieman'

I can see a nail thickening a stalk I would just do it in a clean way, Its probably similar to people who snap branches which thickens the stem once healed and can encourage branching.

Some landrace indicas like morrocan produce more resin in dry conditions, however other landrace strains like thai come from very humid wet enviorments and like water. I have heard an old man from thailand say the more humid during ripening the better because water intensifies the sun. I believe it all depends on climate and strain.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
bird feeder in the middle of your outdoor grow..
Use seed that attracts small birds..

They love to eat bugs, grasshoppers, and caterpillars on and around your girls...

Edit:
In 2016, the birds even built a nest in one of my cannabis bushes..
I watched as baby birds were hatched in there!

Attachments

• eggs just hatched.jpg
    eggs just hatched.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Drop an egg in the hole, put your pot plant in the hole, cover it, Next hole.

Imagine how much bigger your colas will be if you use an entire chicken. :woohoo:

I did use a milk,egg,cayenne pepper and garlic clove mixture to scare deer from one spot last year.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Imagine how much bigger your colas will be if you use an entire chicken. :woohoo:

I did use a milk,egg,cayenne pepper and garlic clove mixture to scare deer from one spot last year.
LMAO!!

Did it work?

This guy goes to the sale barn and buys 200 baby chicks. "I want to start a chicken farm." he says. The next week he shows up again and asks for 200 baby chicks. He shows up the third week and asks for yet another 200 baby chicks.
"Dude.... that's 600 chicks so far. You're going to have a lot of chickens. "
"I don't know what's happening. I'm either watering them too much, or planting them too deep."

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I can see a nail thickening a stalk I would just do it in a clean way, Its probably similar to people who snap branches which thickens the stem once healed and can encourage branching.

I'll try it on a few in a windy spot. See if it helps. I'll use a manual brad gun on the stalk and lower branches.

bird feeder in the middle of your outdoor grow..
Use seed that attracts tiny birds..

They love to eat bugs and caterpillars on your girls...
It's in a forest clearing/wetland. Lots to eat there. I'd have to put out a hundred lbs of sunflower seeds to compete with the food already there. Good idea though.

wvguerrilla

Never heard of the egg trick before. Have did the nail trick ol fella taught me that years ago around my area we call it crucifying.

Farm Hero

Try burying a dead fish a foot or so underneath each plant, then you are in business.

You should also put out a tin of tuna with a very small hole bored in the lid to keep the critters busy or sometimes they will dig up freshly planted chronic.

-BRR-

A little while ago someone mentioned a tip an old timer gave him for growing outdoors. Drop an egg in the hole, put your pot plant in the hole, cover it, Next hole.

A couple people said they always did it. I'm a little curious, so I'm willing to spend a dozen eggs on it next grow as a test. I'll do it to 6 Photo's and 6 Auto's.

Now I read mention that in the "old days" they'd drive a nail into the stalk to thicken it up. Thicker stalk, bigger cola. Has anyone heard of that?

Seriously with out the toast butter and bacon I don’t see it working

Anyone put rusty nails in the hole? I've heard old timers do this for all different plants as its supposed to provide mineral benefits, not sure I buy it

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Anyone put rusty nails in the hole? I've heard old timers do this for all different plants as its supposed to provide mineral benefits, not sure I buy it

No but I've heard of stem splitting or driving a nail in the base to speed up finishing the plant.

- Nail in the base is just like it sounds.
- Stem splitting is splitting the stalk with a knife and inserting a stick to keep the wound open.