What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doc thinks I may have a cannibis caused illness.

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
An attack starts with a sudden onset of the chills, the hair on my arms and legs and stand straight up and then I start to feel nauseous. I begin to sweat profusely, I mean buckets of sweat,
The chills get worse, to the point that it is very painful to have skin exposed to the air

ive had this a few times in the past 3 yrs or so .

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
I am fairly confident the problem is with my Hypothalamus.

It controls everything I have an issue with. It regulates body temp, sweating, digestion, food intake, anger/aggression, breathing, and heart rate among other things.

Now the question is weather cbd toxicity is the cause or something else.

It has been pointed out that too much of anything can be harmful, I think I crossed the line.

I lost respect for the plant.

I believe you're on the right path there OTO. I'm still boat something is interacting w/your cannabis use rather then CBD toxicity, but that has yet to be determined.

Keep us informed of your progress! Hopefully an endocrinologist can help determine the cause of your symptoms & offer some answers & relief.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
And how exactly are you applying these "Organic" products.... amounts and frequency, as well as any other info that might be appropriate.

My gut instinct is that it really has nothing to do with 'cannabis' and most likely has to do with "what's left in and/or on" the cannabis at harvest.

Rule that out before looking at cannabis.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If it turns out to be cannibis related, it's not the end of the world for pot smokers. You can OD on anything, and it took a hell of a lot for me to get here.

Hey, if you had a problem, even if it is cannabis related, that doesn't mean it's OD, and for sure it isn't the end for pot smokers. because most of us smoke way less per day and may even consume the quantities you talk about with no problems provided there's enough "training" to get to that level of tolerance.

that beeing said, sorry to hear about your problems, but really, don't try to put it like we all would react the same as you, or that this is a case of cannabis overdose. I bet that's not the case.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
My gut instinct is it is the cannabis. To the doubters, do you have any idea how much 15 grams in a day is? Have you done it? Everyday for years?

I have done this, and mushroom doses of varying amounts, and use of LSA(cold water extraction). When I had money still, I went pretty wild with the weed for a long time. I've never been a drinker though, so I'm not sure how that factors in. I really think everyone should give up alcohol though, at least for recreational use.

Anyway, I've had all the symptoms described, and I started having them when I was a teen. When I was a teen I was EXTREMELY against drugs and alcohol and was very into Jesus. Despite that, I had episodes exactly like you describe. I've had them since I started using weed too, but not as often.

Keep this in mind: When you smoke weed, it fuels brain cell production(like many anti-depressants do), but it also fuels other functions around the body. This doesn't come for free. This is a big part of the increased hunger experienced when high. This needs to be satisfied or you will experience blood sugar drops(way worse if diabetic or hypoglycemic). The flipside to this though, is that many times people eat excessively when high. The pot also alleviates the symptoms of stomach pains, including over-eating. Over-eating can also cause episodes like you described. I really think this is food related. Give up the weed for a while, it's a good idea to be sure, but I wouldn't make up your mind about it yet. It may be that your suffering would just have been worse without it, that really remains to be seen.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Good question, I should have clarified.

Organic means coco based soil with amendments. Foilar feed with seaweed and fish ferts in veg. Nothing sprayed in flower.

Potassium toxicity.

Are you of the mind that organic does not need a flush. If so... you and everyone are wrong.

When you use "amended" soil or other mediums.... the most important thing to remember is that the soil or medium should be "depleted" by the time you're harvesting.

Believe me... I can taste 'over-amended' soil in organics.

15 grams a day? Yeah... I would definitely look into potassium toxicity first. Ask your doc. Chances are they haven't ever looked into it because it's so difficult to do with eating food. They're not growers so why would they look at excess nutes from the cannabis?

The fact that other people have the same issue does not surprise me in the least. MOST cannabis... (especially a LOT of organics) is disgustingly full of excess nutrients. I belive I've only come across clean organic cannabis once. That's saying a LOT about organics.

I'll bet I wouldn't like the taste of your smoke. :( Not saying you're a bad grower in any way... just saying that MOST people have been fed the wrong informationg about organics. Most folks don't have the experience or sensitivity to know the information they've recieved is wrong.

I still don't think it has anything to do with the cannabis itself.

edit: and 15 grams a day? Really? Doesn't say much for the potency of what you're using. Another sign there's excess nutes in your coco. You should be psycho (if you're growing sativas) or locked to a couch.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Potassium toxicity.

Are you of the mind that organic does not need a flush. If so... you and everyone are wrong.

I feel the need to clarify a bit...

Most likely not 'just' potassium toxicity, more a combination of that and other toxicities from the excess nutes.

And the flushing... that's not entirely accurate. The local dispensary around here grows strictly 'organic' with a 3 week flush. They over-amend their soil and the end buds taste like batshit.

All of their strains have the same 'organic', earthy, over-amended batshit taste.

The labs will agree with me. I really don't give a crap if 90% of the organic growing community doesn't.

:thank you:

Yes, I experience something similar. The official name for this condition is called cannabanoid hyperemesis syndrome. There was a 2 page article published in the gastrointestinal journal in 2008, there have been 3 cases in the united states and 20 cases worldwide. I think it may be that we might be sensitive to one or several but not all cannabanoids. They describe the Cannabanoid hyperemesis syndrome as cyclical vomiting that usually lasts a week and patients usually like to take a lot of hot baths or showers.

And I grow my own, I don't use pesticides, I flush very well, I grow organically and have no pests as I grow indoors and I have had to tear down and start over before and sterilize and start from seed, so I know where and how my meds are being grown and not treated, so it's not something I'm spraying or feeding my plants.

My potassium levels are very low when they check my blood. I usually get admitted tot he hospital for a week up to 14 days, BUT I didn't get better from abstaining from cannabis, because I had my friend bring me hard candies I made with bho I make from what I grow, so the cannabis levels in my system were still being maintained.

My episodes have no rhyme or reason. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis and celiac disease as well as being lactose intolerant. On top of the chronic pain from being a pedestrian hit by a large truck going 35mph when he hit me, surgery isn't possible to ease the pain. I have been in pain management for 12+ years now. The "professionals" have me on a nearly impossible to follow medical diet. I stopped taking dilaudid and also cut my painkillers, as that was what the doctors thought at first, I was taking too many pain meds. Then a LOT of tests, from 2 of the best hospitals that confirmed gastroparesis. Later a blood test confirmed celiac. After changing all my meds and diet, I am still having episodes that start with I'm fine, then suddenly I start puking. And I can't stop vomiting. If I wait more than 32 hours of vomiting I will be hospitalized for 4 days, the longer I wait to go in, the longer the hospital stay. They throw every anti-nausea medication at me via IV and tansdermal. Sometimes the scopolomine tansdermal patch will stop the vomiting, but when I have an episode my potassium bottoms out, I'm so dehydrated, the IV team has to use an ultrasound to start an IV and get blood from me. I have a team of doctors that have thrown out everything crazy like mediteranian familial sickness, to hey, let's start taking out some of your organs, you don't need your gallbladder.

As I stated, in my OPINION I think I may be sensitive to one or several different cannabanoids. I am a heavy medicator, but I got tired of smoking pot all day, I smoke BHO on a ti pad through a bong, or edibles made with hash oil and a few bowls of buds everyday, as I get strainlocked easily and have to switch strains up a lot of they stop "working". There may be a little truth in this syndrome, but as I also stated just because I was in the hospital doesn't mean I wasn't consuming the same amount of cannabis I would have at home, just in hard candy form. There simply hasn't been enough research done on all the different cannabanoids, and I truly think it might just be a select few cannabanoids that might set off symptoms.

Last edited:

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Any evidence that over fertilizing with Potassium actually causes radically higher levels of Potassium in plant tissues? Just because it is in the medium, doesn't mean unlimited amounts are going to wind up in the weed.

Almost any time someone's blood is drawn, they are going to run a CMP which measures many things including electrolytes such as potassium. Anything out of bounds is flagged on the lab report, even if an MD was not thinking that the symptoms could be caused by that, they are going to see it plain as day in the report.

I'm pretty sure the OP would know by now if he had any obvious blood chemistry issues such as that...

Believe me... I can taste 'over-amended' soil in organics.

I'll bet I wouldn't like the taste of your smoke. :( Not saying you're a bad grower in any way....

I've got this really passive aggressive strain called go fuck yourself

c4cf90e93f50128f1f666eee9c98e92caf21f5b5.jpg

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
My potassium levels are very low when they check my blood. I usually get admitted tot he hospital for a week up to 14 days, BUT I didn't get better from abstaining from cannabis, because I had my friend bring me hard candies I made with bho I make from what I grow, so the cannabis levels in my system were still being maintained.

My episodes have no rhyme or reason. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis and celiac disease as well as being lactose intolerant. On top of the chronic pain from being a pedestrian hit by a large truck going 35mph when he hit me, surgery isn't possible to ease the pain. I have been in pain management for 12+ years now. The "professionals" have me on a nearly impossible to follow medical diet. I stopped taking dilaudid and also cut my painkillers, as that was what the doctors thought at first, I was taking too many pain meds. Then a LOT of tests, from 2 of the best hospitals that confirmed gastroparesis. Later a blood test confirmed celiac. After changing all my meds and diet, I am still having episodes that start with I'm fine, then suddenly I start puking. And I can't stop vomiting. If I wait more than 32 hours of vomiting I will be hospitalized for 4 days, the longer I wait to go in, the longer the hospital stay. They throw every anti-nausea medication at me via IV and tansdermal. Sometimes the scopolomine tansdermal patch will stop the vomiting, but when I have an episode my potassium bottoms out, I'm so dehydrated, the IV team has to use an ultrasound to start an IV and get blood from me. I have a team of doctors that have thrown out everything crazy like mediteranian familial sickness, to hey, let's start taking out some of your organs, you don't need your gallbladder.

This reminds me of my situation combined with that of my girlfriend. We are both heavy smokers, but we've also quit for a long time and we just got a lot more sick. I have celiacs, and she has gastroparesis, and we react really badly to fatty foods. We both do better when we supplement potassium in our diets. We are constantly feeling sick it seems. We ran out of money this year though and were forced to quit. In some ways we felt great, but that's mainly because we were exercising almost constantly due to our job at the time. The stomach issues got a lot worse though.

Just some thoughts for you:

When our potassium levels are low = problems get worse

Low thyroid levels = problems get worse. My girl is sensitive to smells, and gets puking episodes if she does not take her thyroid meds.

Fatty foods = everything gets worse(especially restless leg syndrome)

When I have one of these episodes, I find anti-histamines help regardless of if the problem is making me itchy.

Even though I get waves of feeling hot, getting into a hot bath alleviates the symptoms. If my temperature drops low, the problems get much much worse.

Cola (dark soda) used carefully helps suppress the nausea. Coffee on the other hand makes it much worse.

and a few bowls of buds everyday, as I get strainlocked easily and have to switch strains up a lot of they stop "working".

Both my girlfriend and I have this issue too. She's way worse than me like that though, but she also has more symptoms in common with you.

blaze02

just curious what strain you were smoking when you had the most recent attack? my moneys on the haze.. first time i had a panic attack from weed i went to hospital and got an ekg too. your symptoms just sound very similiar so something to consider... more likely your body is flooding itself with adrenaline as a reaction to smoking weed than not being able to regulate temperature..

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Second, I find your holier than thou thing with the organics offensive. You know very little about how I grow or the quality of my meds but have pretty much said I/most of us don't know what i/we are doing and that my weed is lame and tastes like shit.

Glad you know it isn't potassium then.

Not bothered in the least by your taking offense at what I posted. I've had multi-decade growers say pretty much the same thing.... and I've gagged on their 'product'. :thank you:

So, someone telling me over the internet that their stuff is clean doesn't mean spit. Sorry.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I've got this really passive aggressive strain called go fuck yourself
Don't know the pic you posted... that you craven?

Such an intelligent response. Bet you're really proud you helped out this thread so much. eh?

(edit: See my post just above. I guess that applies to you as well.)