What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BIG SEEDS...little seeds...

Laura Kush

BIG SEEDS...
little seeds...

we've all seen pictures at seed banks where they show the difference in size of cannabis seeds. My question is what breeds are the big seeds and what breeds are the little ones?

Whats the biggest/smallest seed you've ever encountered?

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
smallest would be f13... little tiny black seeds

and the biggest are from motarebel, his kranial kush are huge and oddly shaped.....

cool thread Laura, and I like the handle as well.... :)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
BIG & small

BIG & small

The small are 800+ to one gram, the big are 12 to one gram.
Small from the Himalayas up above Kashmir.
The Big from Asia.
-SamS

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool pic Skunkman ..from which exact area are this fat seeds? ...asia is a bit big :wink:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
I recently pollinated 13 varieties with a male Princess Diesel. For the most part, the sativa dominant strains like AK-47,Dynamite(not the SPG Dynamite from BC), Trainwreck and VBS were small. The C-99 x PD were tiny. The indica dominant strains like ST#3 x PD were the largest. Afghan Bullrider x PD, PD f2s and Afghani#1 x PD were large and dark. The exception was the Jedi x PD which was small and tan colored,as was the Dynamite(San Diego sativa dom clone only) x PD.

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
~thanks Sam
but the seed-size is also connected with the environment right? i saw that a fully-seeded mj gives a lot of little seeds ...while the less-pollinated plant (from the same strain) is making larger & more fat beans :D

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
All of my plants were fully seeded(1500-2000 seeds per plant) and I saw no difference in size between the fully seeded Afghan Bullrider that I had this time and the partially seeded Bullrider I did a few months ago. I would suspect that the seed size is genetically determined.

Sorry, Smoke. I don't own a camera.

Sam, what is the Yunnan like? Short indica from the mountains?

Last edited:

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
depends on calyx size no?

amnesia haze not seeded...same phenoz same age...

AH ..seeded

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It is genetic but tiny clones produce smaller seeds and just a few seeds are usually bigger then a heavy seeded plant.
Also with F1 hybrids the seed size is controlled by the female much more if not totally. F2's will express both parents.
I would call the Yunnan a very tall very late Sativa hemp variety. You would not want it I think, it has very little THC.

-SamS

Limeygreen

Veteran
I don't know if this is true as I never saw the seeds but there was supposedly a hemp breeder in my current town who bred peanut sized hemp seeds. This isn't really possible is it?

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well i would say that the seed-size from F1 hybrids is not always controlled mainly by the female. for example my skunk x deep chunk (male)...the pure (skunk) from the flying dutchman were relative small seeds...but the selected mom produced such beans that were nearly as big as the original deep chunks (pure afghani)...the color was different though...much more darker than the afghani beans. the cross is uniform with little or no difference between the plants (as expected from an F1)

15012aaa.JPG

skunk mom
15012skunkxDC_seeds.jpg

skunk/chunk macro :D
15012DCxSkunk_calyx.JPG

Gert Lush

Veteran
Limeygreen said:
I don't know if this is true as I never saw the seeds but there was supposedly a hemp breeder in my current town who bred peanut sized hemp seeds. This isn't really possible is it?
Some of the varieties (esp. Chinese) that are bred for eating, i.e. as grain are supposed to be quite big. Dunno if they're peanut size, that sounds a bit excessive, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they were...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
BIG & small

BIG & small

Have them weigh one gram of seeds and count them, if it is less then 12 I will be shocked. Be sure to use a scale that can weight to .10 of a gram.
12 to a gram are big and if you have bigger I want to see them!
Or weigh 5-10 grams and divide by the number of grams to see the 1 gram count.

I have never seen any bigger or smaller then what I have, and I grew them both, the big and small seeds came from my plants. The big ones are 66 times the weight and size of the small ones.

-SamS

The large Yunnan are 12 seeds to one gram, the small From around Pahalgam 9,000 feet near Srinagar, Kashmir and are 800+ to one gram.

Last edited:
G

I have asked be for if anyone has seen mj seeds as big as popcorn and was laughed at.
Now I know for shore that their is some that big.(i had seen them just did not have a pix)

Thanks sam, for the vindication!!

peace
DBD

The biggest seeds i have/seen,are SWT1.1 :rasta: ,they are like Ostrich eggs(love the bud that came from those seeds :headbange ).The tiniest i have seen and that i have ever bought are Wonder99(havent grown yet).But as far as germing or sex,size doesnt matter/insert funny line here,lol/.I have had teeny ones like the W99 that just looked way too small to be carrying a living embryo,but they germed no problem,and grew to healthy ass plants(L.S.D).But,bigger seeds just seem to please people more for some reason,just makes ya think they are going to be hardier,but sometimes big buds come from the tiniest beans :joint: .Peace and stay safe,PVP :joint:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I would like to have them weighed or see them so I could get pictures. But I was only told of them and I was trying to see if anyone had ever heard of such a thing because this guy doesn't do the research anymore and no one seems to be growing his stock as I'm sure that the hemp growers would be all over it if it contained the same or high oil as smaller seeded varieties. I'll have to take Sam's word for not seeing bigger seed than what he already has due to his many years of experience, I'm wondering if he was pulling my leg which seems very possible although I can ask him when I see him next, I'm not holding my breath.