What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finishing seeded plants under 24hr light

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
There was an older thread that discussed finishing pollinated/seeded plants under 24 hours of light.

SamS posted in it and said that he used this method. If I recall correctly, he stated that two weeks after being pollinated, he would put pollinated/seeded plants under 24 hours of light.

Does anybody remember this thread?

If you do.... I sure would appreciate a link.

Ive been digging for days and can’t find it. It’s driving me fkn nutts!lol
:tiphat:

Happy Times

What would be the reason for doing this? To save space in the flower room and put veg space to use?

I ask because it would obviously take more electricity

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you throw them back into 24 hr light they will go back into veg.

True. 12/12 light regimen works well, seedling to harvest with photoperiods.

Can't recall after pollination....will have to research. Add boron and higher K & P for healthy seeds. Boron plays an important role in the flowering process and seed formation. Boron is important in the migration and metabolism carbohydrate, facilitating the transport of sugars through membranes. Boron is also involved in the formation of cell walls, in pollen germination, in cell division, in flowering and fruiting.

I wood

What would be the reason for doing this? To save space in the flower room and put veg space to use?

I ask because it would obviously take more electricity

It worked well to produce cuttings and seeds at the same time in veg area after a plant refused to branch enough to produce a cutting before flowering.
Two weeks into flowering i pollinated to produce f2s and put plant back in veg area to ripen seeds and grow enough to get a few cuttings.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I stopped using longer veg times than 16/8 about 3 decades ago. After experimenting with longer daylengths through the 70's and some of the 80's, I came to the conclusion that healthy plants need a long nights sleep. In fact, it seems to me that the faster they are growing, the more they need those hours of rest at night.

I can't speak to the '24 hour seed production cycle' from experience, but I would suggest that a seeded plant is already working MUCH harder than a sensimilla plant. My instinct would be to make sure she had all the nutrients she needed as well as anything else to make her as happy as possible. I would remove direct fans because they force excessive transpiration. I'd move her to the far edge of the room away from the most intense light, and I'd give her the full 12 hours of rest each night until the seeds are ripe.

In my experience, a long ripening time produces the strongest and longest viability seeds. Keeping the mother happy and healthy through to the end when she's covered with seeds can be a challenge, but reduced light intensity and air movement can help the plant redirect energy where she needs it most.

Americangrower

Veteran
You can absolutely throw it into veg room after pollinating it. She will continue to make seeds even if she revegs. Brother MeltingPot taught me a trick he has used where he cuts a branch off a flowering plant, dust it and then puts it into cloner like you would any clone. It will make seeds and roots at the same time. Granted this is only for a few seeds. I haven't done it but I trust Melty.

DJXX

Veteran
when you stop the flowering or ripening process, and go 24 on, it will revert all of its energy back to vegetation mode...not sure where you saw it works...but i totally disagree that is will do anything but halt the finishing process and revert to veg...love to see you go through with it, in case it somehow works...if i was a bettin man ...is say no way...but i guess u never know..lol DJXX

Americangrower

Veteran
when you stop the flowering or ripening process, and go 24 on, it will revert all of its energy back to vegetation mode...not sure where you saw it works...but i totally disagree that is will do anything but halt the finishing process and revert to veg...love to see you go through with it, in case it somehow works...if i was a bettin man ...is say no way...but i guess u never know..lol DJXX

I do it all the time in summer. I knock them up and put them outside well before 12/12 daylight. Plants just stop flowering but seeds keep maturing. No dif then throwing them into veg room

Bob Green

I found out this works by accident when I did a reveg. Ended up getting a few dozen Nev Haze 21/Mullum x Zambia Chipote beans out of the deal.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
hello,
from my experience it works but not so good under 24h
i put my pollinated plants always outdoors after pollination...
we have than around 15h daylight... and going to 14h...
plants will not reveg. and make good seeds under sunlight...
nothing beats the sun... also when making seeds...
just keep them healthy until end (6weeks) ... reduce N is important...
also the pollinated cutting method works for a few seeds...
but also agree that they need enough time to sleep... so i've found 15or better 14h ok...
i'll do it because of space and i'll can move on with other stuff in my tent...
that speeds up my process and works really well so far...

M.:tiphat:

It is dependent upon the level of pollination, as to whether or not the plants will reveg in the transition. If pollination has fully taken all of the females pistil growth, little if any new growth will be seen (outside of seed development). If just pollenated with a controlled hand,its possible that a lot of the growth could revert to growing vegetation and still have flowers with seeds that have developed fully maturing regardless of the photoperiod. In conclusion its not much more different from a females preflowers being pollinated. You will find that these seeds can and will develop regardless of the photoperiod and plants own stage of development.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Can't say anything about putting plant in to veg-light cycle after pollination during 12/12, but i have made seeds from start to finish in veg- light cycle 20/4.
Some plants will start to "semi auto flower" when you keep then along time in small container (root bound) and if you'll pollinate those pistils, they will grow seeds.

I had a male flowering next to my veg-cab and my Chunky Cheese keeper was starting to "semi flower" because off stress, and i noticed few seeds forming there and then dusted the whole plant. I only got around five seeds and about the same amount of "aborted" white seeds/shells.

I germinated two seeds and both grow like any other seed. Both of these seedlings ended up being females, but i haven't flowered them yet.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

GoatCheese

Veteran
About nutrients when making seeds.
I have read (source not in English) that seed producing cannabis plant wouldn't use so much Phosphorous but actually need little extra Nitrogen and Kalium during seed production, while some of you advice cutting N and giving more P?

I have given my plants little extra BioBizz Grow (N and K rich) during seed production and less Bloom, and the seeds i made grew just fine and healthy. Earlier this year, I grew over 200 seeds i made giving them more N and K than i would during normal flowering regiment and i had around 95% germination rate and healthy green seedlings, .
..so i dunno about giving less Nitrogen and more Phosphorous.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some plants will start to "semi auto flower" when you keep then along time in small container (root bound)

I've noticed this exact same thing.

About nutrients when making seeds.
I have read (source not in English) that seed producing cannabis plant wouldn't use so much Phosphorous but actually need little extra Nitrogen and Kalium during seed production, while some of you advice cutting N and giving more P?

Excellent point GoatCheese! I often pollinate just a few flowers around the bottom of a plant and it's very common to see yellowing leaves on those, but not on the unpollinated flowers. As we know, N is a mobile nutrient and it seems likely that it is being redirected to building seeds on that flower.

I can't speak from experience about the P and Calcium needs of flowering cannabis. I do mix (and recycle) my own grow medium with ingredients like bone meal and oyster shells. I've rarely or never seen any signs of P or Ca deficiencies, but it could be that my medium has enough of those nutes anyway.

Latest posts

Latest posts