What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The quest for shattery shatter

Hey guys,
Haven't posted on here in a loonngg time but I thought I would see if I could get advice. Side note, this website is like praying for me, only done when your in the shit haha.

So I have been processing BHO on and off in a closed loop system for the last 2 years. The system in a standard 5 lb unit from bhogart with upgraded ball valve and butane recovery pump. I am not wild about the system but it's what iv got and I don't have funds at the moment for a new one. I also purge all oil in a AI 1.9 vac oven.

In the beginning I was only running old outdoor material so producing product that was darker and "pull n snap" consistency was not surprising to me. But recently I have had the opportunity to run some stellar indoor trim that was fairly fresh. Although the color came out good I still cannot get past the "pull n snap" consistency for the life of me and that is what my patients prefer. I know it is highly strain dependent but after running 3 strains with similar results I am getting discouraged.

Is there anything I could be doing to get to that stable glass I'm looking for? I know I could secondary dewax but without a cold trap I just end up burning out my pumps with the Buchner. Would a dedicated inline dewax column help? Temps? Haha anything?!

I appreciate the advice in advance guys!

Gtir

I was wondering the same thing. Especially when I use propane the extract comes out very sticky.

Propane tends to make things "hard" but more like leathery than glass.

Greenman- how do you mean too decarbed? Material is dryer and cured well so I doubt it's a moisture thing.

Gumby- I go in around 90' and finish about 95.. You think lower than that?

gumby420

Propane tends to make things "hard" but more like leathery than glass.

Greenman- how do you mean too decarbed? Material is dryer and cured well so I doubt it's a moisture thing.

Gumby- I go in around 90' and finish about 95.. You think lower than that?

if i purge anywhere about 93 im gonna have stuff either auto butter or snap and pull. i usually purge between 82-88 for shatter

montroller

I noticed that flipping often and purging longer will take almost anything to shatter, unless it's already too decarbed.

Just keep flipping it and you'll see the BHo start to thicken up and get super swiss cheese. You can even see how everything starts to line up as consistency changes.

Ras Mason

Veteran
why do you guys want it to shatter vs being more pull and snap at least and retain some terpenes?

Ras Mason

Veteran
shatter, being purged at higher temperatures and for a longer period, contain less terpenes...think about it...it is not a superior product is all i am saying.....

I completely agree with you guys about shatter not being the best. I prefer a crumble or cake budder consistency- more terps and easier to get onto a dabber. But the fact is that that's the consistency my patients request for some reason lol.

gumby420

I completely agree with you guys about shatter not being the best. I prefer a crumble or cake budder consistency- more terps and easier to get onto a dabber. But the fact is that that's the consistency my patients request for some reason lol.

so ive seen a lot of conflicting stuff on this. from what ive read crumble/cake badder smells more terpy because a lot of the terps have been evaporated and are on the outside of the product (probably not the right term). with shatter all the terps are still intact so dabbing it youll get more flavor from shatter, but just smelling it crumble will smell more terpy. take some shatter and smell it, then take the same shatter and put it in parchment and squeeze it between your thumb and index finger to heat it up and the terps will be released and youll smell a lot more. i learned that from a few judges at a high times event. personally i think shatter/pull snap tastes way better.

Gtir

My pho comes outvery gooey and the same material run w bho is more shattery. It's a trade off between color when running last harvests trim.

Ras Mason

Veteran
so ive seen a lot of conflicting stuff on this. from what ive read crumble/cake badder smells more terpy because a lot of the terps have been evaporated and are on the outside of the product (probably not the right term). with shatter all the terps are still intact so dabbing it youll get more flavor from shatter, but just smelling it crumble will smell more terpy. take some shatter and smell it, then take the same shatter and put it in parchment and squeeze it between your thumb and index finger to heat it up and the terps will be released and youll smell a lot more. i learned that from a few judges at a high times event. personally i think shatter/pull snap tastes way better.

temperature and pressure devoid the oil of it s terps. shatter is a higher temp product and most often extracted from dried material already devoid of a vast amount of terps.
peace.

LostTribe

Premium user
I was wondering the same thing. Especially when I use propane the extract comes out very sticky.

Finally someone on here using propane!

Been looking for more info on PHO without any luck. The PHO I have sampled was always bright orange in color and nearly sugar wax in consistency. Its great stuff though! Currently sampling some Blueberry Gum and Agent Orange both around 83%!

LostTribe

Premium user
temperature and pressure devoid the oil of it s terps. shatter is a higher temp product and most often extracted from dried material already devoid of a vast amount of terps.
peace.

Actually from what GW has told me Shatter is all about lower temps keeping the temp as low as you can while still keeping the oil warm enough to bubble!

Actually from what GW has told me Shatter is all about lower temps keeping the temp as low as you can while still keeping the oil warm enough to bubble!

Low enough temps to avoid decarboxilization.

High enough temps (enough drying of volatile terpenes) to deplete the terpene content to increase hardness without decarbing

4 things cause softness in concentrates.

1. Decarboxilzation
2. Water content
3. High terpene content
4. Residual Solvent