What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some advice would be appreciated...

BAYSIK401

So I'm not new at this been a cpl years, but I have questions I've never really addressed before... So I'm switching up everything I have been doing with the exception of 100% coco in 5G pots... Now using Canna Coco A+B and Aptus additives... My question is; my tap comes out 6.8pH and 100ppm, do I need to add any form of CaMg in my mix... When using it before with the GH line I noticed deficiencies how ever my so called guru(who was a complete bumbling idiot and I quickly surpassed as I'm to in depth in this industry) told me it's no problem I had to end our partnership after months of arguing and me being not happy with results I was getting...

Running 4 1KW HPS and one 1KW MH for total spectrum absorption, standard 4-6 week veg 9 week blooming, if I'm forgetting any info that is needed please ask I could use the help, thank you in advance...

Bay...

X

xavier7995

I can't answer your specific question...but I would advise grabbing the water report for whatever city you are in and see what their analysis says then compare that to recommended values. The rule of thumb I have heard and use is that if you use tap you probably don't need to add calmag, if using RO you do. However, someone did point out to me that isn't always the case and there is often enough in base/other additives to make up for it missing in RO.

I do toss in a pinch of epsom salt and one of my products does have quite a bit of Ca in it, but I don't really think it is necessary. Started using the epsom salt to balance out the Ca being in my other products.

edit: The northeast has really soft water per wikipedia, I would maybe try adding it and seeing if you get improved results.

BAYSIK401

Thank you for your advice on the matter bredd... I'd rather try a "pinch of Epsom" then add any CaMg additives..

jewcebox

i have water here in CO that is at 7.0 and 110 ppm.

i DO NOT use cal mag,

just epsom.

no issues, but i will give them a shot of cal mag once or twice.

i have more issues with cal mag then i did without it.

so thats my 2 cents.

S

sourpuss

Same boat. Tap 150 ppm. Need mag sometimes... epsoms... some strains r fine some r not.... have a good read on the signs of cal def and mag def and youll be fine. Wish I leatned that a long time ago haha... another good tip is npk def shows bottom up yellow and the secondaries will cause a top down yellow....

The.Cook

What actually happens is that colloids in coco catch those few Ca++ Mg++ your water has, making them unaviable for your plats.

I'd suggest a 0,3 ec of Ca/Mg all the way trough. Be sure to treat your coco with a proper nutrient solution before use in order to fullfill its cation exchange capacity

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
Europe: pH 8.1 (yup) EC 0.6 ... never had a cal mag issue, never used an additive.

edit: I dunno where The Cook has been hiding, but his advice is stellar! if you only listen to one person today, make sure it's that guy.

The.Cook

Europe: pH 8.1 (yup) EC 0.6 ... never had a cal mag issue, never used an additive.

edit: I dunno where The Cook has been hiding, but his advice is stellar! if you only listen to one person today, make sure it's that guy.

Deep inside the italian forum man! :D

Anyway thank you I really appreciate that!

:wave:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
So I'm not new at this been a cpl years, but I have questions I've never really addressed before... So I'm switching up everything I have been doing with the exception of 100% coco in 5G pots...

Bay...

You are making a mistake using 5gal pots with coco. That's soil grower thinking. You want smaller so it dries out faster. I have 8' plants in 2 gal pots.

X

xavier7995

You are making a mistake using 5gal pots with coco. That's soil grower thinking. You want smaller so it dries out faster. I have 8' plants in 2 gal pots.

Unless you only fill them halfway:) This was actually my biggest issue when starting out with coco, I just pulled a bunch of the excess coco out of the pot until I got it down to 2 or 3 gallons worth of material. I do kind of like the wider plant base this provides and am going to continue with big pots only partially filled. But the first few weeks sucked, i transplanted into the final containers way too quickly and then they would take a week to dry out after watering.

The.Cook

Complitely agree with that

I found best results are achieved with small pots and multiple feeding (3/4 feeding per day at maximum water consumption)

Thats a 1 of 3 Original Amnesia Auto grown under a single 250W HPS In a 5.5 liters pot (more or less 1.5 gal)

picture.php

And this is a shot of her root mass

picture.php

All you want is have the faster dry/wet cicle possible in order to boost plants metabolism while always providing fresh and oxygened nutrient solution

:wave:

BAYSIK401

I use 5gal pots(the smart ones) only filled about 4gals of coco, I'm not a fan of keeping the coco wet daily from personal use I treat the coco like soil in that aspect, I know it's against the rule of thumb however it's what works best for me... I use the 5gal pots the whole run through, 1gal for first few generative weeks then go for the 5 with 4...
First feed went well using Aptus additives so followed their suggested dosage(tweaked for review)will see soon how it's working their(Aptus')MassBoost is their CaMg additive so I will see, hopefully I don't need it the whole run...

Thanks for all the help..

Latest posts

Latest posts