What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COB LED for micro grows

Athos

I must admit that I have no idea about what COBs are and their capabilities.
I'm just curious because I'm seeing them more and more, with posted yields of 2+ gpw.
Any of you guys know about them? Is it worth looking into it for a micro grow?

i dont see the point, small size, small height, more heat (less space) = ideal for low distance low intensity high spread

cobs are everything you dont want in small sizes, you should consider cobs when youre looking at 150w+ or bigger than 2feet tents

Goats

Some growers are running this rig:

https://growerslights.com/products/...att-quantum-board-led-kit?variant=42276846026

When I get around to it I'll pull the trigger on this.

i just swapped over to a 65 for my little 2x2 veg area and plants are absolutely loving it. they're great lights.

do you know how close you can get to the 135 before plants show adverse effects? are people dialing it down a bit when plants get close? i was thinking maybe 2 of the 65w kits would be perfect for a 2x2 flower area with limited height.

would depend on how much of the ambient air between the lights and the plants gets sucked out, if you have 1 or 2 fans blowing over the tops you can get away with a lot

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
cobs for the win, they are great imo, look at my 90w of love grow diary and you can see whats up, now with the pin heatsinks that you dont need a fan for it, already with screw holes and the new cob chips where no soldering is necessary I think they are a great option for micro setups, you can run them at around 35w and get great penetration and cover... cobs are really cheap, 25 bucks you can get a really nice cob plus the heatsinks are not soo bad either...