What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HGO's Vertical Coco Run To Waste

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking good :):) im following this one

i always wanted to do coco, maybe one day when i get my both of my hands dirty ;)

cheers,

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hi all :wave: I'm not long back from the grow and everything is running along smoothly. There was too much flow going to the drippers so I put an in-line tap into the feedline a few inches above the pump. Here's what the taps look like.

They let me set a flow rate, I'm using a pump for each lamp so I had to make 3 of these, only takes 5 mins. I cut the feed line around 6 inches above the pump, inserted a T-piece, run a few inches of pipe from the T-piece and inserted the tap as shown in the pics below.

Attach the pump to the end of the feed line and this is the result

Then it's just a simple little tweeking at the tap until there's enough pressure going to the drippers. Because I went over kill on the pumps I have to keep the taps fully open and even at that each feeding only last's 40 seconds before I've got a lot of run off, which is making my life even harder because I have to find a timer that can go on/off in 40 seconds, any suggestions? I've got a digital timer but it's a nightmare to setup so any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :D

The temps were running a little cooler today, hitting 75F but that's exactly where I'd like to keep it well 78 would be ideal, humidity is a little low but I'm not bothered with that because I'm nearly ready to put them into flower, if it stay's below 50% during flower I'll be happy, the air flow in the room is perfect every leaf on the plant's are dancing with joy. Don't mind the beaten up hygrometer she's been through the war's God bless her.

I have hydroton at the base of my pot's for drainage, it's working great here's some roots popping out the hole's.

I took a few shot's of the plant's, first off if anyone here has grown Giesel, or The White you may be able to help me out, I'm unsure what this plant is so if ya could throw in your advice that would be great.

And that concludes the updates, so I'll leave you all with a few plant pics of KarmaTrain and an unknown, either The White or Giesel.

Be safe out there, wherever you are!

HGO

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
redspaghetti -

Good to see ya bro! Hope you hang around for the harvest :D and don't be afraid to share some of your knowledge!

Here was my fith meal of the day, meatballs in a delicious tomoto sauce covered in cheese! Just out of the oven. El delicio! Shouldn't really be eating this much since I haven't been at the gym in a 3 weeks, fucking done my shoulder in :sigh:

HGO

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
looking good. ooohhh man seeing that sauce just made me think about how awesome this summer is gonna be. just set up some raised beds and i got about 20 each of 4 different tomato plants. ahhhh i love being a guinee

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
It was very tasty, I'm now away for a few chicken fillets in a wrap, it's just gone 1:30am! Fucking munchies :D

Keep The Faith

HGO

CyrilSneer

I'll be watching with a big smile on my face :)

I just went vertical, I'm in perlite hempys, 7 around the bulb ..but have been itching for coco since last year. I think I'm scarred of it! LOL!

Good luck! should be fun :jump:

ambertrich

Veteran
Nice update, HGO.

Looks like things are coming along nicely. Hmmm, that thermo/hygro looks familiar. :biggrin: I have the same one.

Nice call on adding the inline taps. Such a simple device, cheap and does the job its intended to do.
I use em on my pumps in my E&F res tanks. I acutally use the one that comes with the pump (it fits onto the riser-which is optional). It gives me more fine control on how fast the table floods, and at what final level the flood reaches.

The hydroton layer on the bottom of the coco pots is another good call. But, we gotta get you into a smart pot type container next time. They really do help to encourage root growth (I've been using Earth Juice Aerobags-very inexpensive, but good quality).

Curious what you mystery plant is myself. Maybe as she gets a little bigger might be easier to tell.

And, you had to throw in the meatballs in red sauce. Now, I got munchies something awful. I married an Italian that doesn't really cook. But, the family get togethers are heaven for an ol' boy like me.

Good job, bro. :good:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
CyrilSneer -
Good to have ya here, coco would be a good move, it's simple just keep it wet basically, it's very hard to overwater in coco, it will hold it's maximum amount of water and the excess will just drain out the bottom very quickly. 2 or 3 waterings a day until you see run off and your onto a winner. The plant's are growing SUPER crazy, kick's soil's ass.

ambertrich -
BRO! Good to see ya! Haha yeah I need smart pot's although I can't get 'em anywhere over here. I have 30 air-pots laying in the grow house from my previous run, they were a nightmare, they need to be PACKED with soil otherwise you got a pissing waterfall all over your floor. Smartpot's next run, I'll find 'em somewhere.

I'm about 85% sure that she is a Giesel, the pic's I've seen of Giesel online seem to have a broad 3 leafed, leaf. That Chem D look. I hope it's her anyhow.

I just got some VERY special gift's today from a good soul, an old pack of BlockHead and a pack of [Northern Lights/Leopard Kush]xpure Kush x Blockhead that Krome made, so you know it's gonna be good. I can't wait to pop 'em. I'll send lot's of BlockHead F2's into seedbay for freebies. I'm so lucky!

All this weed talk has got me craving for a joint, stash is running low, 2 grams left and no harvest until June LOL Noooooooo :D:D

HGO

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hi all, I couldn't wait to tomorrow for the weekly picture update, I just had to snap some pic's today.

Everything is growing really nice and really fast, some of the plant's had a very slight yellowing in some leaves, that has now cleared up and they are all a good deep green.

During the week I bought a bottle of rhizotonic, I got 200Ltr's of feed out of it, didn't last long, the root's are looking GREAT, I forgot to take some pic's but I'll do that next week. I am now feeding at 1.4EC, today was their first watering with 1.4EC so I'll have to keep my eye on them to see if they can handle it ok.

Anyhow pics speak louder than words so here's some comparison snaps. Have a look at how much they have grown is such little time...
.....22 Day's ago..............6 Day's ago

.......................... Today ..........................

Here are some comparison picture's of cheese.

........6 Day's ago...............Today

Here are some comparison picture's of KarmaTrain.

......6 Day's ago..................Today

You can clearly see how much they are growing, it's great. I'm feeding them 3 time's a day, they are getting just over 1Ltr per plant, per watering and I'm getting just over 1Ltr run off from 5 plant's. So they are getting over 3Ltr's a day, They are drinking allot. I love the Plant Magic nutes, they are working very well.

I'm going to flip them into flower on Friday, tomorrow I'll strip them from the bottom to minimise the popcorn buds.

I'm getting good temp's but my humidity is down too low...

Here's a few more garden shot's...

And that concludes this week's updates, any questions just ask :D

Thanks for checking out my grow.
HGO

Last edited:
L

laylow

Wow your plants are growing so fast HGO do you think its down to the constant watering?

what you using food wise and at what strength?

great progress for 6 days look like dif plants :D

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Laylow - Hey man, howzit going? :D Yeah I'm loving the growth rate, I think it's down to the extra feeding. I started feeding them at 1.0EC and I've worked it up to 1.4EC today, I'll see how they like the 1.4EC this week, so far there are zero sign's of overfeeding, the leaves are getting a nice deep green, I don't want them to get any greener, here's a few snaps of plant's that I run last year that had too much nitrogen, notice how green the leaves are, they are glossy. BIG mistake on my part, the plant was putting the majority of it's energy into making leaf, that's why I'm keeping a constant close eye on this run.

Too much nitrogen...

Casey Jones........................C'99..................Critical Mass

White Mustang (Rare Cubed Chemdawg Cut)

Coco FTW!

HGO

L

laylow

Laylow - Hey man, howzit going? :D Yeah I'm loving the growth rate, I think it's down to the extra feeding. I started feeding them at 1.0EC and I've worked it up to 1.4EC today, I'll see how they like the 1.4EC this week, so far there are zero sign's of overfeeding, the leaves are getting a nice deep green, I don't want them to get any greener, here's a few snaps of plant's that I run last year that had too much nitrogen, notice how green the leaves are, they are glossy. BIG mistake on my part, the plant was putting the majority of it's energy into making leaf, that's why I'm keeping a constant close eye on this run.

Too much nitrogen...

Casey Jones........................C'99..................Critical Mass

White Mustang (Rare Cubed Chemdawg Cut)

Coco FTW!

HGO

im actually laid up ill at the mo :flu: other than that im all good lol....

on the nitrogen front what ferts are you using? also whats your ph if i want more nitrogen i run it 6.2 and then drop it to 6 first 2 weeks of flower then 5.8 the rest of flower

or if its a grow i dont get to much I.E. at a friends place or if im just being lazy i keep it at 5.8 the whole way through...

ive been watering everyday in these airpots and its a pain in the ass im just wondering now if im hindering my plants buy not giving them enough water :thinking:

my nutrient regime is quite expensive as every water i use 150L of water out of a 300L BUTT... maybe if i was to give them full strength nutes on the first feed fill the water butt back up with water adjusting the ph then use that 300L for the next 2 days and just start over....

i dunno at this rate changing to airpots is costing me more in coco outlay for the airpots and now twice as much food wise.....

:ying:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
IMHO your better off giving more feeds of less strength .... coco goes hydro ... it flushes the salts out too

D

DHF

LL....Smartpots/airpots/any breathable rootzones with coco , are gonna dry out faster and require more feedings/watering for accelerated root/foliage "hydro-like" growth......but.....

Lower ppm`s fed more regularly as said above will help create balance and cost less across the board on nutrients.....

Look into "maxibloom" dry with cal/mag supplements for bout the cheapest "Lucas formula" nutrient regimen for coco if juice is too much a part of your budget , but I ran GH 3 part for many yrs so I could drop the Grow completely and dial down the Micro once stretch was over ta keep those deep green glossy leaves HGO shows from happenin during swellage mode.....

Maxibloom`s not ableta be dialed down individually except ppm`s wise , so there`s always tradeoff`s.....

HGO`s runnin 700 ppm`s thereabout`s is par for the course runnin lower juice through coco constantly ftw.....

Lookin good HGO....Thanks fer tha show....

Peace....DHF...:ying:....

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im actually laid up ill at the mo :flu: other than that im all good lol....

on the nitrogen front what ferts are you using? also whats your ph if i want more nitrogen i run it 6.2 and then drop it to 6 first 2 weeks of flower then 5.8 the rest of flower

or if its a grow i dont get to much I.E. at a friends place or if im just being lazy i keep it at 5.8 the whole way through...

ive been watering everyday in these airpots and its a pain in the ass im just wondering now if im hindering my plants buy not giving them enough water :thinking:

my nutrient regime is quite expensive as every water i use 150L of water out of a 300L BUTT... maybe if i was to give them full strength nutes on the first feed fill the water butt back up with water adjusting the ph then use that 300L for the next 2 days and just start over....

i dunno at this rate changing to airpots is costing me more in coco outlay for the airpots and now twice as much food wise.....

:ying:

Love that C99 and WhiteMustang.....running those myself.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Laylow - I'm using Plant Magic coco range, I've just been giving them the a & b, and some rhizotonic. I've been keeping the PH at a dead 6.0. They are feeding nicely, I'm loving the extra feeding, they are getting 1 feeding 2 hour's after light's on, 2 hour's before light's off and one in between. Still they look like they have slightly too much nitrogen, well they will have good reserves for when start stretching. I'll not be upping the A&B anymore.

You can see from this pic of cheese, taken a week ago that they were a bit hungry for nitrogen..

And if you look at this pic taken 6 day's later, you can see that they have a good bit of nitrogen in stock for the flower stretch coming next week. The leaves are almost going glossy again, I have 2 choices, either cut back on one watering per day or cut down the EC, I think I'll cut down the EC because I like the extra feedings each day especially for when it comes to flower time, and my humidity is crap so it helps out there a little too.

I hear ya on the airpots, I didn't like them at all. I'm sure that the smart pot's are much better. Maybe if you put hydroton at the base and over the top of your coco you would cut down a little on evaporation? It would definitely help.

Bush Dr - I think your right, they also seem to love it.

DHF - Thanks man! Good post! At what stage do you drop your grow? I'm going to drop mine a little more. The plant's are very well fed at the moment

megayields - Thanks! Yeah they were damn leafy, huh :D What do you make of the white mustang?

HGO

Last edited:
L

laylow

Great info all around thanks guys going to stick with once a day for this run and look into some sort of dripper setup maybe for the next run....

Keep up the good work HGO

:)

STUPPA

Hi HGO nice looking grow you got going . The cheese is looking good mate hows the smell? strong enuff for you ? :D

be interesting to see how they all turn out :tiphat:

Hell9

Good work HuGO (see what i did there?)... setup looks wicked, and so do the plants. For the first time I think I have considered coco and realised that I am going to do it rather than I might do it.

What sort of coco do you use? Is the plant magic available in the rep or do you have to order it online?