What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time gardener; can you discern anything about the heritage of these phenos?

More background to follow. Bagseed; same bud. Completely unknown genetics, but the mother plant was great ADHD medicine.

Green is heavy heavy grapefruit with some pine. Very caffeinated, before-you-exhale high. Purple is musky, a bit of fuel and maybe blueberries or grapes on the exhale.

Be gentle, I made several mistakes and have a ton of room for improvement, but I really “get” the magic of this.

I know it might be a stretch to ask, but if you can toss in any knowledge or observations about the lineage of these, I’d be forever grateful. Speculation is fine, this is for my curiosity, not for any commercial or branding purposes.

Much love

picture.php

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I don't have anything to offer genetics wise but did want to pop in and say congratulations on making the leap and trying you hand at growing. It is one of the most rewarding things I've ever tried out and I'm sure you'll get hooked too.

:yes:

Thank you for the welcome!

(Warning: long)

A little bit more background. As I mentioned, these were the dreaded bagseed, but from some unnamed critter I knew nothing about. It was a pretty euphoric situation reliably. The seeds were so small (even by the standards of the species), I hardly thought they would be viable, but I kept them tucked away “just in case”.

A very very close friend is fighting an ongoing battle with late stage colon cancer. This person is quite an afficianado, still alive primarily thanks to this medicine. Well, this person tried the very same bud and were also complimentary of its effects. I mentioned the bagseed and my indecision... turns out, it’s actually an easy decision when someone like that tells you you “need to try those hands at it.”

The purple plant had big, bluish-silver fan leaves that were super iridescent. Very strong growing. The other more aqua-green phenotype I thought I was going to kill. Very weak, slow growing, runty, leaves of weak substance, prone to mobile nutrient burn... until I hit the 12/12 pedal, then it took off like it was trying to outgrow a forest fire.

At 5.5 weeks from the switch, the trichomes were all cloudy, and amber had begun to appear sporadically when I harvested. I hung-dried for 6 days, then mason jar-cured for 16 days before sampling each.

I harvested relatively “early” because I hate the stone. I like uplift, euphoria, thinking about big-picture world problems with a cup of strong black coffee. Contemplation. I didn’t even truly “get it” until I had the chance to try nothing but sativa for a period (I spent much of my life, even as a partaker, very cynical of claims about genetics/effects/hype). But our access to higher-quality options are limited to fancy, melt-your-face hybrids...

When I tried it the turquoise-green stuff... I couldn’t feel anything on the inhale, I coughed on the exhale even though it wasn’t harsh. The flowers, even cured REEK like grapefruit, but the exhale was piney and about the time I figured out that taste HELLO someone attached a slingshot to my chair and my lower have began that tingle. Much faster and cleaner and smoother than anything commercial I had ever tasted. I was in shock that it had “worked”; I was laughing but not entirely sure if it was somewhat (or completely) just placebo.

I had made this thing that brings only a pure joy everyone who “gets it”, joy unlike anything else in our social conscious. I received immediate comfirmation from a very honest and close friend with a more refined palette than mine that indeed, it worked, and yes, it was as tasty and smooth as I thought. It was bagseed and prettier looking and more sticky even cured than anything I had handled before.

The purple is muskier, much more fuel and grape/berries, but I am terrible at flavor note identification.

Neither are super potent or long-lasting (I think the strongest thing I have ever tried is real GG#4 from a very fancy establishment, just to give you a frame of reference). So far, we’ve each found we have to re-up every 45 min or so to stay on the ride (and my tolerance is pretty low). Also, VERY dessicating to the ol’ orbitals.

I have successfully re-vegetated cuts of both phenotypes. I dunno whether to keep them kicking around. I figured out that gardening is medicine in itself, and I’m hooked. Right now, Burmese Orange from un-feminized seed, which based on my little knowledge, should give me the spread of possible selective breeding target traits from the parent lines. I’m not interested in fancy outcrosses. The idea of getting a unique strain going, not beholden to the getting trashed trend, seems much more left field and attractive to my personality.

Apologies for the winding and poorly-located introduction. The best self-instruction tools came from this resource. Thank you to the community.

I don't have anything to offer genetics wise but did want to pop in and say congratulations on making the leap and trying you hand at growing. It is one of the most rewarding things I've ever tried out and I'm sure you'll get hooked too.

:yes:

JockBudman

Ahoy centr1fuge. Thought I'd just pop in to say I agree with Nico farmer about it being a pck hybrid. I'm basing that on my own pck hybrid I found in a pack of ace mix that seems to share some characteristics.

Firstly the purpling is very similar. PCK is the only plant I've found or seen photos of that purples up as much as she does and does so without temp drops.
Secondly, the fact that you describe the original mother as great ADHD meds - because that's exactly why I've cloned my pck hybrid 😂 Although mine has different terp profiles from what you describe, due to being crossed to (most likely) an African sativa of some kind, she does work very well for taking the edge off hyperactivity whilst still giving heaps of energy and motivation to get shit done.

The only other thing I wanted to say was, for the love of ganja, don't cut plants at 5.5 weeks! They are not done, it's just not possible. Nothing finishes that quick.

I know you say you've checked the trichs but the problem with that is that the advice to "check trichs and cut at amber" is that it's never ever presented in context.
Checking the trichs is useful, but only once you've taken the plant to maturity when it lets you choose the high for your tastes.

The problem is that trichomes come in waves. The oldest ones will indeed appear amber around 5 weeks, but there's more growth still to happen and more trichs which will mature at a different rate. This seems to be something left out by the yank focussed forums - I learned lurking on UK forums where I was taught that you want to look at the plant as a whole, rather than just the trichs.
When a plant is coming to the end of its life there's loads of signs it's getting ready for harvest. First the hairs (all of them. Seriously) turn red and retract into the calyxes which then swell up. She will also drink less than before and start to look pretty sad. That's when you want to check trichs to narrow the high down, not before and certainly not at less than 8 weeks.

There are some exceptions such as tropical sativas or dominant hybrids which push fresh pistils no matter what and clones of 8 week full finishers that can be done a week or so early but broadly speaking I find what I've learned holds true for like 95% of plants.

When you cut early you lose out on yield - I've been growing for years and still get shocked with how much weight they can pack on in the last few weeks after most of the hairs turn red. This is I think, why the UK forums didn't ditch this part of the ripeness checking - most are cash croppers who need max yields for profit.
You also lose out on high, which is why you're having to re-up every 45 mins. You've grown two great plants with good effects but they're so short lived you'll smoke through it all before the next batch is down. If I bought a bag that gave me a 45 min buzz I'd feel ripped off. Think of how much electric you used to grow them just to cripple the buzz by chopping too early.

Btw I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, it's your smoke that you grew and that's the best smoke there is, but the point of this game is to learn from each other - and we all make mistakes. My first grow was 6 bagseed hermies under a few household CFLs. Result was about an eighth of too early cut bud that wasn't worth the cost of soil let alone power 😂

Don't make my mistakes, trust me, early bud just ain't worth it.

And if all else fails, here's the best advice I ever got - when it looks done, give it another week. Works like a charm 😋

Ganja gu brah :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts