What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Red mites in soil? Possible clover mites?

0x99

Hi all.

I had some fungus gnats I was working on getting rid of. Recently bought some beneficial nematodes and top dressed with them. A day later I noticed these things in there... However I'm pretty damn positive these are not nematodes lol. Anyhow the fungus gnats seem under control but now these things are everywhere in my bonsai mom's soil!!

Please note that I have some red clover growing in this pot as a cover crop/bioaccumulator so that's what makes me wonder if they're clover mites.

Also please note they are only in the soil not on the leaves or stems.

picture.php

picture.php

0x99

RQS critical bonsai mum @ 4 months old with the mites.

I checked all of the leaves and stems. I did see one little tiny white tube shaped critter on a leaf as well which may account for the white spotty stuff on the leaves. Oy!! I've been lucky and only had fungus gnats until now, and now I've got 3 things going. The red mites are the most prolific tho. F gnats are under control.

picture.php

picture.php

0x99

Also I just cut out all of the clover to remove the food source if in fact they are clover mites. Worth noting they don't come out until I water. When I spray the top layer of dirt and get it wet is when they show their ugly little faces

M

metsäkana

i had some red predatory mites in my soil once..

Macrocheles robustulus this look similar too..