What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The long and the short of it - PNG, Laos, Cambodian, Durban, Nepali, Leb27, and Flo

djimb

Veteran
Small update today.

More plants are declaring their sex and building flowers.

For the Lebs, in addition to #2, #3 is also throwing pistils. #1 Is building a dense cluster on top that's looking like male flowers.

The Nepalis are also progressing, with three entering flower. #s 1 and 5 both appear to be males, with that dense clustering of oblong buds without pistils. They're also getting very purple on the tips of the unopened flowers. #3 appears to have a pair of tiny pistils.

Everything else is still vegging. The PNG is gorgeous, the Flo is big and stinky, the Durbans are healthy, and the Thai x Laos are, with the exception of #1, vigorous and beautiful. Unfortunately, #1 succumbed to insect damage and overwatering from the big storms that have been rolling through, and came right out of the soil with a gentle tug. So it goes.

I'm wondering if the early plants are going to get much bigger, or if they're just going to turn into little budsticks. I'll check out the 12/12 from seed thread, but If anyone has experience that they'd like to share, I'd love to hear about it. If It's more likely they'll stay small, I might just keep them in their pots instead of planting them out. I imagine the NLDs, Flos, and Durbans will still need to be planted out, as it seems they'll be vegging for a bit longer and they'll be more difficult to hide among other plants.

Thanks for reading!

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Small update today.

More plants are declaring their sex and building flowers.

For the Lebs, in addition to #2, #3 is also throwing pistils. #1 Is building a dense cluster on top that's looking like male flowers.

The Nepalis are also progressing, with three entering flower. #s 1 and 5 both appear to be males, with that dense clustering of oblong buds without pistils. They're also getting very purple on the tips of the unopened flowers. #3 appears to have a pair of tiny pistils.

Everything else is still vegging. The PNG is gorgeous, the Flo is big and stinky, the Durbans are healthy, and the Thai x Laos are, with the exception of #1, vigorous and beautiful. Unfortunately, #1 succumbed to insect damage and overwatering from the big storms that have been rolling through, and came right out of the soil with a gentle tug. So it goes.

I'm wondering if the early plants are going to get much bigger, or if they're just going to turn into little budsticks. I'll check out the 12/12 from seed thread, but If anyone has experience that they'd like to share, I'd love to hear about it. If It's more likely they'll stay small, I might just keep them in their pots instead of planting them out. I imagine the NLDs, Flos, and Durbans will still need to be planted out, as it seems they'll be vegging for a bit longer and they'll be more difficult to hide among other plants.

Thanks for reading!

DJ, Ive grown out quite a few plants from seed under 12/12 in small containers over the years, and you definitely can get some real nice short compact budsticks. Some plants would begin flowering at the 5th or 6th node of growth.

Ace Mixed Mutt plant that began flowering at 5 nodes of growth. Hopefully you get some nice budsticks out of your plants.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

djimb

Veteran
Wow, those are compact! Thanks for the input, Dave. I only read about 25 pages of the 12/12 from seed thread, and in between the bickering, I saw final yields from 3 to 21 grams per plant. Do you remember how much yours weighed? And how long did they take to finish?

If I'm counting correctly, that last one was only about 6 nodes total. Hard to tell for sure though, when the bud leaves are almost as big as the fans.

How strong was the aroma from those little guys? I'm guessing the seeds in the ace mix weren't homogenous, so you couldn't compare the minis to a full sized plant of the same variety.

I'm debating whether it would be worth planting out the ones that are starting to flower at the 4th/5th node and risking them being eaten or dug up by animals if they're only going to get to 8 or 10 inches and finish in the next 1.5-2 months. If they wouldn't draw attention to themselves, I might just keep them, or at least scout a location closer to home where I could check up on them more frquently.

I might just start planting out this weekend with the PNG and see how things progress with the others over the next week. Or, I'll put it off another week. I have a hard time letting go.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Wow, those are compact! Thanks for the input, Dave. I only read about 25 pages of the 12/12 from seed thread, and in between the bickering, I saw final yields from 3 to 21 grams per plant. Do you remember how much yours weighed? And how long did they take to finish?

If I'm counting correctly, that last one was only about 6 nodes total. Hard to tell for sure though, when the bud leaves are almost as big as the fans.

How strong was the aroma from those little guys? I'm guessing the seeds in the ace mix weren't homogenous, so you couldn't compare the minis to a full sized plant of the same variety.

I'm debating whether it would be worth planting out the ones that are starting to flower at the 4th/5th node and risking them being eaten or dug up by animals if they're only going to get to 8 or 10 inches and finish in the next 1.5-2 months. If they wouldn't draw attention to themselves, I might just keep them, or at least scout a location closer to home where I could check up on them more frquently.

I might just start planting out this weekend with the PNG and see how things progress with the others over the next week. Or, I'll put it off another week. I have a hard time letting go.

I think the yield for that plant may have been in the 10gram-12gram area, but its been a couple years so I dont quite recall. 14+grams is certainly doable from 12/12. Finish time is usually around 90-110 days when doing 12/12 from seed, but those sativas will likely need more time.

Terp profiles were still stinky and loud, so you got nothing to worry about when doing 12/12 from seed.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do for the lil ones. Lets hope the critters stay away from them if they go outdoors.

djimb

Veteran
Thanks again, Dave! It looks like they're sticking around for another week at least. We'll see what happens this weekend. I'll have to make some chicken wire cages to protect them if I do plant them out.

djimb

Veteran
Week 6:

We've had some great weather lately, and the plants are loving it. Flowering is progressing with the Nepalis and the Lebs, and the others are still showing good growth.

The two Nepali males that are the furthest along are beginning to open this morning, but have yet to drop pollen. I've put them somewhat far away from the females, but knowing how pollen travels, I half expect to end up with at least a few Leb27 x Nepali seeds. I don't really mind. It seems like a great, vigorous, early flowering cross to explore in the future.

Nepali #1
picture.php

picture.php

Nepali #2
picture.php

picture.php

Nepali #3
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Leb27s are progressing just fine. #1, which began flowering male was showing off a pair of pistols this morning, so I smoked it as a preliminary tester.

Obviously leaves and male flowers don't give the best impression, but it seems like a nice, balanced CBD effect, with just enough THC to make it enjoyable. I got a slight headrush, much like I get with heavier WLD varieties, like the UW I grew a few years back. I now find myself generally relaxed and jovial, with a bit of a fog in the frontal lobe. It's quite nice.

Leb27 #1
picture.php

picture.php

Leb27 #2
picture.php

picture.php

Leb27 #3
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
picture.php

The Flos are still vegging, doing their thing, and looking luxurious.

Flo #1
picture.php

Flo#2
picture.php

The PNG are also continuing to look great. I am surprised at how compact they are, though. I expect they'll keep vegging for another month.

PNG #1
picture.php

PNG #2
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Durbans are also doing well. Whatever took a bite out of #1 came back for another snack, but it doesn't seem to mind.

Durban #1
picture.php

Durban #2
picture.php

Durban #3
picture.php

The Thai x Laos are just as healthy as any of the others. They smell incredible. I expect these to veg for another month, too.

Thai x Laos #2
picture.php

Thai x Laos #3
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
Week 7:

I and the family have been laid up with a pretty rough cold, so I haven't been as active this last week or so as I would have liked, but the weather's been great, and the plants have been loving it! Last week, I gave them all a healthy dose of liquid organic bloom food. Some Dr. Earth stuff I've had forever. They've responded exceptionally well. I realize now I should have feeding them all along, but I didn't know how they were going to respond to my thrown-together frankensoil.

The two remaining Nepalis are coming along nicely. Their terminal buds are filling in, and the axillary buds are putting out both leaves and pistils.

The males are segregated, left out in the rain. They're dropping pollen, and I'll collect some and cull them this week.

Nepali #3
picture.php

picture.php

Nepali #4
picture.php

picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Flos are still vegging right along.

Flo #1
picture.php

Flo #2
picture.php

The PNG are unsurprisingly also still vegging. I'm still astonished at how compact these are.

PNG #1

picture.php

PNG #2
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Durbans are still the only ones that are being eaten. I'm not sure if It's a caterpillar or possibly a leaf cutter bee. They must be producing some terpene (s) that the bugs love. #3 is doing something really interesting. It has either topped itself, or is developing a node with whirled phyllotaxy, showing 4 leaves.

Durban #1
picture.php

Durban #2
picture.php

Durban #3
picture.php

The Thai x Laos are looking great and getting tall.

Thai x Laos #2
picture.php

Thai x Laos #3
picture.php

Thanks for following along! Hope everyone has a great week!

djimb

Veteran
Just a quick update today.

It appears my efforts to keep the boys away from the girls weren't the most effective. Leb27 #2 has been lightly pollinated and is developing a few seeds. This is totally fine with me. Leb27 x Baglung Nepali isn't one of the crosses I intended to make, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

Since the discovery of the impropriety going on right under my nose, I collected some pollen from the two males that were open, and culled them. The third, stretchiest, latest male only just started opening up today, so its flowers have been plucked to open and drop pollen indoors, but I'm keeping it around. It most resembles the female #4, which, to my excitement, is developing pink/magenta pistils!

picture.php

I'll definitely pollinate her after she bulks up a bit more. All I need is 6 seeds to break even. Anything else is gravy.

The Flos are getting close to needing a transplant. They dried up before any of the others. I don't think I'll be able to pot them up without their size making them more obvious than I'd like. They'll have to be planted out soon.

Finally, everyone got a hearty meal of Dr. Earth liquid yesterday.

djimb

Veteran
Week 7

Everyone's doing well as usual. Let's just jump right in!

One of the Nepali girls is working on some seeds. The other, with pink/magenta pistils, has escaped pollination. I collected pollen from and culled the final male, so it should be safe until it develops some more, at which point, I'll pollinate it lightly to keep my seed stock high.

Nepali #3
picture.php

picture.php

Nepali #4, growing new green pistils. I suspect the color might be temperature dependent. We had a few nights with lows in the 50s last week. Lately it's been quite a bit warmer.
picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts