What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The long and the short of it - PNG, Laos, Cambodian, Durban, Nepali, Leb27, and Flo

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Dave:
I'm not clear on the original provenance of the Skunk Haze. I got the seeds from Golden Beaver Farm in Oregon. Considering they said their Maui Wowie came from Gypsy Nirvana (most likely Nirvana via Seedboutique), I could see their Skunk Haze having originated from a pack of Sam's HazeSkunk freebies.

I am excited about all the variety, though I may have gone a little overboard. I'll definitely get a good feel for what's going to perform well here. The weather's so different from the PNW, where I lived til recently, I really don't know what to expect, aside from the fact that the winter will be awful.

I look forward to seeing some of the new varieties in your garden, especially the HazeSkunk F2s. I've read a lot about Sam's Haze crosses, but aside from Dropped Cat's Thunk, I haven't seen any being grown.

Ill be following up soon with some pictures of new seedlings such as yourself have done. Which btw are all looking very nice and healthy. Glad to see the 3 new Durbans are off to a better start this time around. Keep up the good work.

Its a shame more people dont grow Sams Haze crosses on these boards. The only weed to ever give me a mushroom like trip, was Sams HazeSkunk F1's. It was only a handful of times, and eventually I burned myself out on the Hazeskunk, but its some outstanding herb. I bet the Thunk is even better! Got some of that waiting for the right time sitting in my fridge. Its been several years since Ive grown any HazeSkunk, so maybe Ive waited long enough to experience that mushroom like high again.

Rev:
Thanks for the input! I knew it was a long shot when I started the seeds, but I have enough the PNG to spare a few, and plenty of the Hmong Thai x Highland Laos.

I keep lowering my expectations with the tropicals though, and now if I get some pollen, I'll be happy.

I grew some Colombian bagseed a few years back, and it took about 2 months for the earliest male to start flowering from seed. If the timeline on the PNG and HTxHL is similar, that'll put me in mid september, and there's a chance I could still pollinate some lowers on the Lebs, which I agree would be a very interesting cross. If not, I could always store some til next season.

Of course, there's also a chance I won't end up with a male from 3 of each variety. I think Dave's PNG run came out something like 75% female. In that case, I guess I'll find out just how cold hardy they are.

More like 60% actually, but lets hope you have even better luck than I. :)

I keep hoping I'll make progress on the indoor front, but unless the laws change here or we move back west (also pushing for that), I think I'll be doing strictly guerrilla grows for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for stopping in, guys!

djimb

Veteran
Ill be following up soon with some pictures of new seedlings such as yourself have done. Which btw are all looking very nice and healthy. Glad to see the 3 new Durbans are off to a better start this time around. Keep up the good work.

I love seedling pics just like I love leaf pics. I think It's really intetesting to see the morphological differences beyond the flower structure. Obviously, the shape of the seed leaves is dictated by the shape of the seed, but I'm impressed by the fact that one can tell the Nepalis from the Lebs from the Durbans, etc. even at this early stage.

Its a shame more people dont grow Sams Haze crosses on these boards. The only weed to ever give me a mushroom like trip, was Sams HazeSkunk F1's. It was only a handful of times, and eventually I burned myself out on the Hazeskunk, but its some outstanding herb. I bet the Thunk is even better! Got some of that waiting for the right time sitting in my fridge. Its been several years since Ive grown any HazeSkunk, so maybe Ive waited long enough to experience that mushroom like high again.

It seems like there has been a fair amount of discussion about them, mostly when they were available as freebies from the 'bou, but few if any pics. You see more of Tom Hill's work these days (though still not a lot), but I think that's because breeders retail carried or performed some reproductions of his haze, x18, and deep chunk lines with his blessing, where to my knowledge, Sam has only really provided the Ancestral Skunk seeds to anyone recently.

edit: scratch that. Just saw on the real gorilla seeds / seedboutique thread that breeders retail actually did carry Sam's crosses. I'll have to keep an eye out for them and try to snatch up a couple packs.

Hopefully those that have some of Sam's Haze crosses can spread them around a bit and We'll get to see more of them.

I got some Sleestack x Skunk as a freebie with the Khmer gold, but I've got enough on my plate this season. Maybe next time.

More like 60% actually, but lets hope you have even better luck than I.

Right, my mistake. I just looked back at our exchange in your thread. 60% would be fine if all three seeds had sprouted, but hopefully, I'll see a 50% male rate, and hopefully climate change will be on my side this autumn. I do still have a fair amount of seed, but depending on how these two do this year, I may hold on to them until I can run them indoors.

Speaking of the PNG, we had a pretty serious downpour last night, and one of them must have been hit pretty hard. It was laying flat on the soil this morning, and the stem has been damaged. I propped it up with some pieces of a broken terra cotta pot. Hopefully it'll recover from this early supercropping. If not, I guess I could always start another.

Anyone have thoughts about whether adding soil around the stem would help it recover and grow new roots above the damage? Or would it increase the chance of damping off?

Any advice is welcome. Now I'm going to try to find a better shelter.

Last edited:

djimb

Veteran
Week 4 update:

Everything's going well. Not much to say. It's supposed to rain for the next week. So it goes.

I'm ready to get these planted in their plots, but I'm not sure that they're ready to go out. Maybe next weekend.

Time for pics!

Nepali #1
picture.php

Nepali #2
picture.php

Nepali #3
picture.php

Nepali #4
picture.php

Nepali #5
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Lebs are looking good overall. They're developing faster than any of the others, it seems. There's some insect damage on #1. I was thinking it was leaf hoppers, as I've seen them around my veggies, so I didn't think much of it. Yesterday, I dug out my loupe to look at a Solanum Lasiocarpum that had been looking pretty sad and stippled. It was covered in two-spotted spider mites. I chopped it and the tomato plant next to it down and trashed them. I'll be mixing up some spinosad today or tomorrow, then following with neem a few days later. You can never be too early with IPM, I guess.

Leb27 #1
picture.php

Leb27 #2
picture.php

Leb27 #3
picture.php

Flos are looking good and healthy. Nothing too notable here, aside from the fact that the leaves are the biggest of any of the plants.

Flo #1
picture.php

Flo #2
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The PNG are my favorites, currently. They're the narrowest leaves and probably the second quickest to develop, after Leb #2. I added soil to PNG #2's pot to help support it after its storm induced super crop. Its been perfectly happy ever since. They also appear to be particularly sensitive to overwatering. I haven't watered anything since they were potted up. They catch some rain when storms pass through, but they stay in a relatively sheltered spot. 4" pots might have been a better choice than the quarts for this stage, but I didn't have enough. So it goes.

PNG #1
picture.php

PNG #2
picture.php

The Durbans are doing great! starting on their second set of leaves, and looking healthy.

Durban #1
picture.php

Durban #2
picture.php

Durban #3
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Thai x Laos are looking great as well. Cruising right along. I love that there are already some double serrations on the first set of leaves.

Thai x Laos #1
picture.php

Thai x Laos #2
picture.php

Thai x Laos #3
picture.php

The Khmer Gold greened up a bit, but the seed leaves never opened. It just slowly turned brown. I think I'll have to hold on to the rest of these seeds til I can grow them indoors and spend some time trying to work some old seed magic, a la Mystic Funk: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=334985

There are still dark, solid seeds in the soil, so I'll leave them there and see if they'll come up, but I have zero hope that I'll see them come up.

Thanks for following along, and I hope everyone has a great week!

barefrog

Maybe some GA3 would help

today they also have smoke paper
you cut a piece soak the seed
and it help them start.
its from study they made of why
after forest fire some plant have
a surge of growth.

Bare

djimb

Veteran
Maybe some GA3 would help

today they also have smoke paper
you cut a piece soak the seed
and it help them start.
its from study they made of why
after forest fire some plant have
a surge of growth.

Bare

I'll have to look into both of those. I've never heard of the smoke paper. It's already too late in the season to try to start more though, so if I make another attempt at outdoor, it'll have to be next year. I'd really like to run these indoors or in a greenhouse so that I can be sure that whatever pops has the opportunity to finish and hopefully produce fresh seed. I've got 40 left, and if the 10% germ rate I saw with this attempt with untreated seed holds true, I could get enough plants for a little repro. I'd have to get/make colloidal silver or up my thiosulphate game and make sure my floral is still good, though. That way I'd be sure to be able to produce seed regaedless of the m/f ratio of the theoretical 4 plants.

Of course these seeds are still available at realgorillaseeds, so I might grab another pack at some point.

Thanks for the suggestions!

djimb

Veteran
Just a quick update this morning, since I'm up super early with nothing to do:

The plants are all picking up speed despite the rainy, cloudy weather we've been having. They must have started to really root out into the new soil. The PNG and Lebs are still the most developed with the PNG and Leb#2 pushing 5 fingered leaves.

I'm seriously considering planting them out in the next few days, but I also started a spray regimen for leaf hoppers/mites, so I might give them one more week to let any eggs hatch and get smothered in Spinosad and neem. The plan is to alternate the two every 3 days or so.

The Flos are the tallest of the group and have the biggest leaves as well as the strongest aroma. My nose isn't as sophisticated as some folks here, but at this early stage, I'd describe it simply as a bright funk, with possible hints of citrus.

The Lebs are also coming into their odor. Leb#2 has a distinct pine aroma, while leb#3 is more funk, and leb#1 is somewhere in between.

One of the PNG has a little bit of a coriander seed/citrus aroma, but it's very light.

The Nepalis haven't developed any notable aromas yet, but the three with the most purple stems are also showing some pink/purple in the new growth.

The Durbans and Thai x Laos are looking good, but still a week or so behind the others. They're still working on their second set of leaves. One of the Thai x Laos has some stopping on its first set of leaves. It got a good spray today.

As always, thoughts, questions, and comments are always welcome.

Thanks for following along!

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Subbed. Best growluck bro :)
A late start??

I´ve grown a few Leb27 in my backyard a few years ago.

P :smoke:

djimb

Veteran
Hey Paddi, thanks for joining in!

I actually linked to your leb27 thread in the first post as an example of what their potential is. Your plants were spectacular.

If I'd known I was going to be growing outdoors this year, I'd have started the seeds in April and had them in their plots in June, but I thought I'd be able to run them indoors in May.

As it is, the seeds got started in the second week of July, and I'm hoping to get them in the ground in the next week or two. If I can get 1/4 to a 1/2 oz from even half of them, I'll be happy. I'm also hoping to get some seed made. We'll see how everything goes.

I hope you enjoy the show!

djimb

Veteran
Week 5:

These plants are picking up the pace. I love the variety of leaf shape and aromas that are developing.

Let's get started!

The Nepali have a small amount of variation in leaf width, but the shape is overall the same. If you look closely, you'll see that a few of them are already starting to develop flowers.

Nepali #1, bulking up on the growing tip
picture.php

Nepali #2
picture.php

Nepali #3
picture.php

Nepali #4, the narrowest leaves
picture.php

Nepali #5, the closest to flowering/sexing
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Leb27s are continuing to do well and develop faster than the others. The veination and serrations on these leaves are so delicate. #2 is the first confirmed female! I imagine it'll just jump right into flower, considering the day length. If we assume a 2x stretch, it may top out at 8" tall. I guess It's be enough for a few bowls once It's finished.

Leb27 #1 starting to bud up on the growing tip
picture.php

Leb27 #2
picture.php

This one sprouted pistils between the time I took photos this morning and when I went out for a sniff test.
picture.php

Leb27 #3 also appears to be starting into flower.
picture.php

The Flos are still the tallest with the chunkiest, roundest leaves and the loudest funkiest aroma. This morning, I was pleased to catch a hint of berries on the stem rub.

Flo #1
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The PNG still has the narrowest, most fingered leaves of all of them. They're starting to develop their aromas, but are clearly a long way off from flowering.

PNG #1
picture.php

PNG #2
picture.php

The Durbans are continuing to develop well, but two of them are especially stretchy and got knocked down during a surprise storm yesterday. They weren't damaged, but I gave them the same treatment as the PNG.

The leaves so far have a really interesting character, a little on the broad side, with irregular serration.

Durban #1, got munched on by something over the weekend
picture.php

Durban #2, the most developed of the three
picture.php

Durban #3
picture.php

djimb

Veteran
The Thai x Laos are doing well. I can't pinpoint the aromas yet, but #2 is somewhere between herbs and tropical fruit. It's pretty wonderful and refreshing.

Thai x Laos #1, beat up by the storm
picture.php

Thai x Laos #2, the most developed
picture.php

Thai x Laos #3
picture.php

Thanks for reading!