What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to increase marijuana scent and flavour?

KanwarForever

I want flavourful bud that smells. I grow using Jacks Classics Chemical Ferts but the bud does not taste good and does not smell that much either.

mr.brunch

Veteran
I think its more strain dependant than anything else... at least in soil anyway. Not sure about hydro

soil margin

Veteran
Remember there are multiple different issues here. Cannabis with a really potent scent and flavor while it's still growing is primarily based on genetics, whereas the scent and flavor of cannabis in a jar depends not only on genetics, but it's trimming/drying/curing process as well.

Personally I always prefer the smell of organic soil grown cannabis. Seems to always be sweeter/fresher to me and has a more unique flavor than hydro grown with chemicals.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Try Biobizz fishmix as folia feeding, I use that for improved flavor. I also use chem nutes, but flushing them well and drying/curing your weed, is also very important.

Folia feeding late in flower, can result in a moldy disaster!
Don't over do it, it's better to stop too early then too late.

namydnac

I would say its mostly your genetics, but have you tried dry trimming? For me it seems to make more pronounced smells.

gmanwho

Veteran
I want flavourful bud that smells. I grow using Jacks Classics Chemical Ferts but the bud does not taste good and does not smell that much either.

well thats your first problem. jacks. it can grow nice plants, but they are not dense an lack smell and taste. jacks has a trouble creating these added oils we seek. when the oils are created, you will get your taste an smell.

jacks wont. i ran it for 1.5 years an will never run jacks an calnit ratios ever again.

veg bloom hd works, floranova bloom works. botanigaurd. canna.

i had such false flowers with jacks an cal nit. thye would be monsters but lacked density taste an over all oils.....

soil margin

Veteran
One thing I'm starting to experiment with right now is companion planting some chamomile around my cannabis. Seems to be a lot of info online suggesting that chamomile helps increase the essential oil production of nearby plants it's grown with. I'd like to find out though whether it can increase it enough to be noticeable when I'm smelling a jar of weed or smoking some.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Good pheno selection, worm castings, clean water.

Knowing for sure the plant you are growing is capable of producing the quality you seek. Having access to good clones helps. Alot of people will repeatedly grow a mediocre plant several times very well and never understand.

Genetics, organic, sulfur and trimming/drying process.

One that hasn't been mentioned is wet/dry cycles. There's a few good threads on this here

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
In indoor gardens a few degrees to hot can destroy flavors and scents. Some strains are more sensitive than others.

From my personal experience with this, it's a merry mish mash of a lot of variables. Light intensity and type, stress levels, grow environment temps, nutrients used and levels, and above all is genetics. I've had great success with slightly lower grow room temps, and cmh lighting. After harvest wet trimming tends to make a good cure more difficult. They dry out way faster with wet trimming at the same rh vs dry trimming. Much as I hate dry trimming, it gives a better cure from my experience. Curing is an art all in itself!

Easy7

Veteran
I know nothing about jacks. Usually pheno/strain dependent. Compost tea in hydro is a suggestion. Not using -ion generators.

soil margin

Veteran
Dry trimming was my best move over the last few years

I hang plants for 7 days in a low humidity room, then cut them and put into 60 Litre tubs and burp every few days for a few weeks before trimming

Best smell and superb end product. Miles better than trimming after harvest. And you can keep them for months in tubs if you harvest a huge amount.

Also it’s nice not to have to spend weeks trimming for days on end when you can do a bit a day out of the tubs to meet demand, while the rest Is curing nicely.

I run a 30 lighter so not much, 18 storage tubs works well and ensures you can cure your weed while storing it on the vine and it’s always perfect, more importantly the smell seems to improve 1000% once you trim it and since you only trim it when needed bag appeal is fantastic.

Do you notice a big difference in bud appearance with wet vs dry trim? Some guys are able to get their buds that really nice sharp leaf, frozen dry look to them whereas others are always these sort of soft and rounded buds with moist compacted leaves. Seems like the wet trim contributes to that kind of look.

Latest posts

Latest posts