What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do smart meters detect flip flops?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Or are they not calibrated that minutely?

In an effort to minimize and mask my power consumption, I'm going to be building 120 volt flip-flops for my LED lights, and was curious if the switch would be seen by a smart meter.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Or are they not calibrated that minutely?

In an effort to minimize and mask my power consumption, I'm going to be building 120 volt flip-flops for my LED lights, and was curious if the switch would be seen by a smart meter.

Nope, they do not....

watts

ohms
Veteran
Not sure myself. I believe digital ballast cannot be flipped the same as magnetic ballast. If i'm not mistaken, digital ballast have to shut off for a minute before it flips, whereas magnetic's do not. So it seems like digital ballast would be detected. No clue about LED's, never used them.

How many watts of led's are you running? Unless you're running a 2000w + of leds I would not even bother. The main reason us hid guys run relays (flip flop) is to avoid having one big room with 6000 w + of hid lighting that runs 12 hours per day, this type of grow is more obvious if they start analyzing your power consumption. By having the same amount of light split in two separate rooms running 3 1000 w ballasts on relays 24/7 makes it slightly less obvious because your consumption is not all in a 12 hour daily period. It's also cheaper to buy 3 ballasts and 6 bulbs versus 6 ballasts and 6 bulbs. But then it gets more complicated if you need 2 blowers 2 carbon filters 2 pumps etc.. Unless you're a diy king and you know know how to use 1 item for 2 rooms it tends to be more complicated and costly to run a grow with relays. Also hids especially hps use much higher voltage/amps to ignite the bulb this creates voltage spikes and it's a bit of a load for your panel to handle when you have 4+ 1000 w hps turning on at same time. Your running leds you don't have this happening when your lights turn on, and you can use regular little relays from radio shack to flip your leds if you choose to do this.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How many watts of led's are you running? Unless you're running a 2000w + of leds I would not even bother. The main reason us hid guys run relays (flip flop) is to avoid having one big room with 6000 w + of hid lighting that runs 12 hours per day, this type of grow is more obvious if they start analyzing your power consumption. By having the same amount of light split in two separate rooms running 3 1000 w ballasts on relays 24/7 makes it slightly less obvious because your consumption is not all in a 12 hour daily period. It's also cheaper to buy 3 ballasts and 6 bulbs versus 6 ballasts and 6 bulbs. But then it gets more complicated if you need 2 blowers 2 carbon filters 2 pumps etc.. Unless you're a diy king and you know know how to use 1 item for 2 rooms it tends to be more complicated and costly to run a grow with relays. Also hids especially hps use much higher voltage/amps to ignite the bulb this creates voltage spikes and it's a bit of a load for your panel to handle when you have 4+ 1000 w hps turning on at same time. Your running leds you don't have this happening when your lights turn on, and you can use regular little relays from radio shack to flip your leds if you choose to do this.

That's exactly what I will be building.

With the laws in my state being as draconian as they are, I'm trying to do everything I can to minimize my risk of being visited by "the Man". Including building 120 volt flip flops for a couple of my LED lights. I figure they'll cost me about 30 bucks in parts including the relay, so why not?

Better safe than sorry. Get some Omron relays or a similar brand they are good for a project like yours, they cost 15-30$ each at RadioShack or other electronic supply store. I have a few of those they're good.

prune

Veteran
Ya, it's not the power company that scares me, it's the cable tv companies. Their cables running thru your walls and floors are very sensitive on picking up ballast frequencies of all types. And unlike the power company, cable gets all kinds of complaints about the interference from HID lights and employs technicians full time to locate and eliminate offenders. They even work special hours to find us out, it seems a lot of lights turn on ~ 8pm, if your tv pixelates around that hour - now you know what they are...

sopiff

Ya, it's not the power company that scares me, it's the cable tv companies. Their cables running thru your walls and floors are very sensitive on picking up ballast frequencies of all types. And unlike the power company, cable gets all kinds of complaints about the interference from HID lights and employs technicians full time to locate and eliminate offenders. They even work special hours to find us out, it seems a lot of lights turn on ~ 8pm, if your tv pixelates around that hour - now you know what they are...

We are legal, but we are also off the cable grid. no cable running in my walls, all the people in my area use satellite and aerial. :dance013:
I have found I feel to be less brainwashed by the BS media, like the recent elections I did not even really get flooded with the BS unless I visited friends. ; )

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's just another reason why I'm using LED's. No RFI to worry about. :biggrin:

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We are legal, but we are also off the cable grid. no cable running in my walls, all the people in my area use satellite and aerial. :dance013:
I have found I feel to be less brainwashed by the BS media, like the recent elections I did not even really get flooded with the BS unless I visited friends. ; )
I cut the cable earlier this year. Everything I watch I stream through either Netflix, Amazon prime, over the air (just football), or my Kodi app.

troutman

Seed Whore
Some digital ballast are RFI leak proof protected now.

Worse case scenario turn your entire grow room into a Faraday cage. :laughing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

800px-Cage_de_Faraday.jpg

Some digital ballast are RFI leak proof protected now.

Worse case scenario turn your entire grow room into a Faraday cage.

If only there was some kind of metalized film that we could cover our walls with... :thinking:

I'm surprised at the lack of shielded lamp cords in the industry. It's my (loose) understanding that a lot of RFI comes from the wire between the bulb and ballast. If I noticed a problem; I'd probably start with putting some grounded foil tape on that.

troutman

Seed Whore
If only there was some kind of metalized film that we could cover our walls with... :thinking:

I'm surprised at the lack of shielded lamp cords in the industry. It's my (loose) understanding that a lot of RFI comes from the wire between the bulb and ballast. If I noticed a problem; I'd probably start with putting some grounded foil tape on that.

You'll actually laugh but mylar works.

Mylar - The cheapest RF protection around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSyZjI23ZNk

Homemade Faraday Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQe3B_59kgw

Hookah79

I have the both versions of the matrix running on both sides of my internet splitter for years with no issues what so ever.Mind you if you read the reviews on a matrix ballasts , folks complained about the rf interference associated with it.

Bobby Boucher

Unless you have one of the tools the field techs use at your disposal, you aren't going to know if your metallic foil is really trapping the rfi. My am radio cleared up at ~10-15' and my cable guy told me I was still disrupting everybody in a quarter mile radius (upwards of 600 people) with a measly 600w'er. Seems like a lot of people are willing to bend over backwards to run digital ballasts. Risk doesn't very much seem worth the reward.

It's the digital ballasts that use sine wave outputs in the kilo Hertz (khz) range that put out really bad rfi like Apollo horticulture amazon lights for example. A shielded cable between the ballast and bulb will fix that. But really any time you are modifying/increasing a frequency you have chances of causing rfi... Welding equipment is another strong source of rfi we had to analyse sine waves on our electronic board set ups at school but if the guys in the welding class were welding and using plasma cutters it would scramble the entire school electicals and make it impossible for us so teachers had to schedule there days to make sure we didn't have that problem.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Gavita says: "Using shielded cable would in many cases cause problems powering your lamps, so unshielded wire is used for the connection to your lamp. This unshielded wire is the cause of the most problems as it acts like an antenna. So, if you use electronic high frequency ballasts we recommend to keep the leads to the lamp from the ballast as short as possible and install the ballast as close to the lamp as possible."