What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'Goldfinger' - Malawi Gold X Flo

Dr Leary

Let us know how the "cure" goes. LOL I will be interesting to have your comparative notes on the smoke report of Goldfinger vs. Malawi. Beautiful plants, great job!

G

Wow I'd love to try some of that. interesting combination of genes. I've grown the Flo before and I know that the pheno I kept was pretty up and wild and tasty too, but crossed with the Malawi, it's gotta be pretty killer.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
That smell is so delectable it's making me want to cry...:)

And it's getting more powerful now - I went out to my outdoor grow this afternoon, and fired up a fattie on the hillside, and had a very profound 20 minutes, I can tell you! Extremely floaty and 'up', but has that marvellous quality of being able to switch it off when required. I'll definitely get pics up soon - just trimming the leafiest buds, and it's quite a chore...:(

Dr Leary

"Switch it off" I know exactly what you mean. Also there is something about torching up a fatty about a hour before sunset on a warm spring or fall day. Very spiritual.
Malawi is very undercrossed, unlike Thai, Mexican, Laos, etc. I am wondering if potentially there is another Trainwreck legend waiting to be discovered. My original interest in Malawi was the THCV it generated to see if produced the "cartoon" affect. I now understand the HOG does but the Malawi brings in a totally different dimension.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The THCV was the main reason I chose the Malawi as the parent - whether it can be produced sufficiently under lights remains to be seen. I can't help thinking African sunlight may play a large part! But then why don't all the other strains have it? :chin:

But structurally, there seem to be many similarities between the Malawi and the H.O.G., and also in terms of the high. Also why I wanted to get Flo in the mix - a three-way sativa is my dream strain. Now I have a few genuine H.O.G. seeds, I'm dying to get them started, but I have to move house first! :(

ibtokin

Elevator Man said:
Now I have a few genuine H.O.G. seeds, I'm dying to get them started

oooh real h.o.g. seeds! are they from breeders choice or somewhere else?

I cant wait to see that grow documented...soon i hope!

very nice looking cross btw. the flo pheno totally has the h.o.g. flower structure. never had the malawi but flo is always a fav of mine.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
ibtokin - They were kindly donated to me by another member - 1978 stock...;)

I hope to get them started asap - just got to find a home I can grow in! Both these Goldfingers smoke beautifully - the Flo pheno is much more spicy and 'hot'-smelling now, whilst the Malawi pheno is very delicately fragrant and sweet. Both getting stronger by the hour!

I'm definitely seeing H.O.G. similarities here, so it should be interesting to do a grow-out of both side-by side. And cross them together too, of course...:chin:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looks and sounds very inspiring Elevator Man,

Malawi Flo cross is quite malawi dominant, but the malawi size and stretching have been reduced a lot. Flower/leaf ratio and fox tail flower structure are on the malawi side.

Im glad to hear the aromas and kind of highs are of your taste. Thanks for share your experiences! dubi

ibtokin

elevator man you lucky lucky guy! 1978 stock - can you say 'jackpot!'

oh man the h.o.g. x flo cross is going to be so amazing!

all i ever hear from my dad is how nothing nowadays can touch the oaxacan he was smokin on back in the early 70s, and that i need to find him some beans...

good luck finding a new grow-friendly home!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
ibtokin - Thanks - I'm still not sure exacty how it happened, but sometimes it's best not to think about things too much...:)

As for a new place - I'm no great believer in karma, but something usually works out in the end. And like a friend said to me yesterday: "You may actually find somewhere even better than this!" - which is true. The outdoors will suffice for now, but the H.O.G. would never do well outdoors in the UK - that one needs close attention under very bright lights! I've always wanted to try these legendary sativa strains, and I'm slowly working my way through the list to the top - got some Colombian Gold to try too, but where I'm going to fit all this in remains to be seen. I do have to earn a living too...:)

dubi - it's some of the most delicious ever - for me anyway. The high is very smooth - no anxiety, so it can be a little deceptive strength-wise - I found myself trancing out a little at the PC this afternoon! But the phone rang, and I was straight back into it. Great stuff...:)

Good luck with the Guawi - sounds wonderful.

G

Wow, just awesome work, looks fantastic. I did a similar cross recently, I crossed this Swazi lady to my trusty Blueberry stud.

P1010017.jpg

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks BH - I'm really chuffed with the way it's worked out, and smoke is sublime - I'm slowly lifting off again. I've crossed it again with the MoFlo male, so that's a kind of 'double-Flo' input now, which should get even more interesting next time around - denser buds still hopefully, and more purple phenos. Assuming I can start growing again soon, that is....)

That Swazi/Blueberry cross does look very similar - the curly leaves and foxtails especially. Did the BB cut down the flower time at all?

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A three way sativa you say? That might just take Ya to the top of the elevator...Man...Dr. Duck.

G

Actually, that's the Swazi mother, I have only just collected the seeds. Of course, I will have some to share! wink, wink

I did a cross of my Zamal x Neville's Haze Zamal pheno mother (electric psychedelic mind bender) with my trusty (sadly now gone) Colombian Gold male with the goal of making a really stratospheric sativa, but I have to say, this Malawi x Flo looks like the kind of thing I was aiming for, a beast of a sativa, great work man!

Z10N

just wow... what else can i say that wasn't said already..

beautiful cross!

I am sure Dj would be very proud of you.

keep it up mate!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Cheers guys - I'm no breeder at all, so I feel quite lucky to get this far in one generation. I just stuck to DJ's rule - at least as good or better than the parents, and that holds true at least! I'd like to try and stabilise this line obviously, but I have more seeds of the new cross with the MoFlo male that I think could be even closer to what I want.

I don't know how reliable this method is without incrossing the Goldfingers first, but I think as long as each new parent shows the right traits, and the genepool stays consistent (African, Thai, Mexican), then it shouldn't go too far off track.

Just for the record, here's the Flo male used to make these Goldfinger phenos, and below it is the MoFlo male used to make the new seeds:

Flo#2 male:

MoFlo male:

Z10N

those are some unique looking studs..
how do they smell like when you rub on them ? :D
I see you top your males.
look there's pollen all over the place, that's kinda kinky in a 'plant'ish' way lol :rasta:

~Z~

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The green indica Flo male had quite a skunky, dark hashy smell, whereas the MoFlo male was very berry-smelling and quite tart. I only topped them to maximise the buds under fluoros - I don't have much room for males, so have to keep them quite small.

The interesting thing to me now looking at these, is how the relatively few leaf serrations from the #2 male have carried over into the #1 Goldfinger - the 'spear' pheno. If you look back at the veg/early flower shots it has quite a distinctive serration layout. I was surprised when it grew out how unlike the Malawi it was, in terms of leaf shape, but now I can see where it came from. This male was quite petite and indica-dominant, but it seems to be quite strong in terms of leaf and female bud traits.

Malawis generally have a very long distal (leaf tip) without serrations, according to RC Clarke, and I was using that as one guide to how mixed the cross was - the #2 Goldfinger pheno stayed closer to the Malawi in leaf shape and bud structure, although produced much more solid buds!

Last edited:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow that male did not have the Malawi leaves at all...very interesting post...thanks, Dr. Duck.